cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage 10 Motherboard NVMe M.2 PCIe X 4 successful install

towerelect
Level 7
FOR ASUS Rampage 10 Motherboard users wishing to upgrade to an NVMe SSD system disk.

After failing totally to get a new Samsung 960 Evo 256GB NVMe SSD to install I purchased a Western Digital Black 256GB board and it installed 1st time in the M2 slot. This is what I did.

1. Clear BIOS to default settings on the Motherboard and save to clear any possible tweaks you have done before and start from a known base.
2. Disconnect ALL hard disc drives EXCEPT your current Windows 10 boot drive.
3. Though the Auto setting works just fine enter BIOS on Boot up and set the PCIe from Auto to X 4 or M2 If shown. See Screen shot for the options I have on the latest BIOS
4. Let your PC boot up into Windows 10 normally. As your new M2 NVMe board is not initialized it will be ignored for now.
5. From the desktop run the Disc Manger by selecting it from the START right click menu options
6. You will see your new NVMe drive as initialized. Initialize it from the menu using the default GPT partition option. NOTE Windows 10 will NOT install on a MBR partition anymore!!!!
7. Format your NVMe drive as NFTS default settings and give it a name if you wish.

And now the FUN part. I have to assume at this point that you have a valid Windows 10 USB or CD Rom drive to install Windows 10 from. USB drive is a lot faster so that is what I used and instructions follow:

1. With your Rampage 10 PC switched OFF Disconnect or remove your current Windows 10 drive. Make sure NO other drives are connected.
2. Insert your Windows 10 USB drive or CD Rom and turn the PC back on
3. Enter the BIOS and go to the BOOT tab options and check that your Windows USB or CD Rom is the first boot option. This is not vital as again Windows 10 is very good and it will guess you wish to boot from the rescue or install drive. These BIOS tweaks are really for older operating systems. so don't get hung up over this. Again older systems may require secure boot turned off and Other Operating systems selected.
4. Wait for your Windows USB or CD Rom to reach the setup screen and then follow the setup instructions for an install on to the new WD Black SSD. Don't blink or you will miss the Windows install, YES it is quick 15 min start to finish from USB and that includes the pesky wait for updates.
5. Once you are back on the Windows 10 desktop running from your new NVMe drive insert the RAMPAGE USB driver disk and install your ASUS motherboard drivers following the on screen instructions.
6. Repeat for the Asus software leaving out stuff you do not need (Push Notices, Adobe PDF, WinZIP etc.. etc)
7. Run Windows Update set to include other software and load from network, other PC's and the Net
8. When up to date enjoy your new faster boot times and re connect your devices one at a time until you have your whole system back running from the WDB NVMe boot M2 PCIeX4 Solid State boot drive.
9. Run the AI 3 Suite for the overclocking Duel CPU feature as required.

OK as the handbook that came with the motherboard was out of date I have taken a screen shot of my current BIOS options for M2 drives. I have this set at AUTO and it worked just fine but you can force it to X 4 if you wish. Please NOTE M2 is no longer a BIOS Option on the latest BIOS. It is all automatic these days.

Also as a screen shot you have the status of the current NVMe M2 SSD. When my EVO 960 Ram is returned I will attempt to re install it and report back here on how that went (Not very well I suspect if the last time is repeated)
0 REPLIES 0