Hello there,
I have a custom-built system which is water cooled with the following specs:
Intel Core i7-6700K
MAXIMUS VIII HERO
GeForce GTX 780 3GB WindForce 3x OC
Be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 430W PSU
2 Rear Chassis Fans
Triple Radiator on top with 3 Fans
I have my motherboard and CPU water cooled.

I have had this build for about 2 years now, but lately I've been experiencing some annoying coil whine which I think comes from either the CPU or the motherboard. I can't quite tell which one it is, but I'm certain it's not from the GPU or PSU. I have my CPU watercooled, so obviously the fan isn't there. The whining noise is very noticeable when playing games which are graphically demanding (Crysis, bf1, GTA, the witcher 3 etc), but also a little during less demanding games like wow or league. Do note that I only have this noise when in game or when the computer is doing some demanding work. My GPU isn't the best out there, and I thought about switching it with a new one, hoping that would be a possible fix. If I keep all the settings in my games the same and replace my GPU with a stronger one, is it safe to say that the Coil Whine could be reduced because the system now has to work less to yield the same performance?
Any input is greatly appreciated. I know there isn't much to do about this issue, but let me know what you think.
7 REPLIES 7

ASUS-OP
Level 7
Hi Laremin,

From experience, if the coil whine is from the motherboard, they will most likely to occur when your CPU is under lower power state.

I will suggest to enter BIOS setup and disable C-STATE completely to see if that makes any difference.

regards,

Laremin wrote:
Hello there,
I have a custom-built system which is water cooled with the following specs:
Intel Core i7-6700K
MAXIMUS VIII HERO
Be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 430W PSU
2 Rear Chassis Fans
Triple Radiator on top with 3 Fans
I have my motherboard and CPU water cooled.

I have had this build for about 2 years now, but lately I've been experiencing some annoying coil whine which I think comes from either the CPU or the motherboard. I can't quite tell which one it is, but I'm certain it's not from the GPU or PSU. I have my CPU watercooled, so obviously the fan isn't there. The whining noise is very noticeable when playing games which are graphically demanding (Crysis, bf1, GTA, the witcher 3 etc), but also a little during less demanding games like wow or league. Do note that I only have this noise when in game or when the computer is doing some demanding work. My GPU isn't the best out there, and I thought about switching it with a new one, hoping that would be a possible fix. If I keep all the settings in my games the same and replace my GPU with a stronger one, is it safe to say that the Coil Whine could be reduced because the system now has to work less to yield the same performance?
Any input is greatly appreciated. I know there isn't much to do about this issue, but let me know what you think.

ASUS-OP wrote:
Hi Laremin,

From experience, if the coil whine is from the motherboard, they will most likely to occur when your CPU is under lower power state.

I will suggest to enter BIOS setup and disable C-STATE completely to see if that makes any difference.

regards,

Thank you for the quick response. I now have the C-STATE disabled completely but I don't notice any difference regarding the coil whine/noise. Perhaps it is coming from the CPU after all. What makes this issue a bit strange is that there was a time when I didn't have the noise when playing such games, but after reformatting the computer several times and just over time the noise suddenly arose.

Heini
Level 11
I'd replace your "Be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 430W PSU ", first.

Heini wrote:
I'd replace your "Be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 430W PSU ", first.

Hey there,
I don't think my power supply is the issue, as the noise isn't coming from there. It could, however, be an indirect cause if it somehow affects the other components in such a way that produces the sound. As I said earlier, I can locate the sound and it seems to come from the motherboard/CPU area. I want to investigate the problem further before I invest in a new PSU.

tommiboi
Level 7
What kind of waterpump you are using ? or is it an AIO cooler? Pumps some make a eeky sound as well at some RPM. I have PMW pump so i just controlled and put the default speed abit up.

But that could the sound as well. it sounds abit the same.
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

tommiboi wrote:
What kind of waterpump you are using ? or is it an AIO cooler? Pumps some make a eeky sound as well at some RPM. I have PMW pump so i just controlled and put the default speed abit up.

But that could the sound as well. it sounds abit the same.

Thanks for your post,
I have a water pump without reservoir and it makes a distinct noise, but which is different from the coil whine nosie I am refering to. I am therefore certain it is not due to the pump.

tommiboi
Level 7
Something else 430 psu with a gtx 780. Thinking you cutting pretty much close on y our power demand. If not you are lacking on peak demands or full load of your system.

Intel Core i7-6700K
130 watt
240 watt

Just some avarge use on your system.
Not talking about full loads and peaks wich certainloly will strain your 430 PSU

I would advice NOT to overclock your system... But heck you have a 6700K ..
Sorry am of toppic on what you are asking. Had to point this out.
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal