cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting errors in Memtest with RAM at XMP (IX Hero)

Raad11
Level 7
The RAM I'm using is G.Skill's F4-3600C15-8GTZ (DDR4-3600, 15-15-15-35 @ 1.35 v)

When it's set to XMP profile (aforementioned 3600/CAS15 timings), I get errors in Memtest pretty quickly (Several within the first hour or two). When I run it at DDR4-2133, no XMP, there are no errors (at 2 hours and counting so far).

Does this mean the RAM is bad? Not reliable? It's in the motherboard compatibility list from Asus.

Could the motherboard have an issue?

Are there any settings in BIOS I could change to make it stable?

I need to decide whether to RMA it by tomorrow. I was gonna RMA both the RAM and the motherboard to be on the safe side (same mobo gave me code 55 errors a few times a couple weeks ago when assembling system, but they've disappeared since, but I'm still a little nervous).
45 REPLIES 45

Raad11
Level 7
So I changed Memory Tweak to Mode 2 instead of 1 and that resulted in 2 errors in an hour in Memtest, a lot less than before.

I noticed the BIOS says my Vdimm is 1.344 even though it's set at 1.35. I changed it to 1.36 and it began fluctuating between 1.36 and 1.344. So then I changed it one more time to 1.365v and am now and it stayed at 1.360 on the right hand side/monitor area. So I'm trying Memtest again.

I noticed VCCSA and VCCIO are high.... over 1.2 each even though they're set at auto. Is this normal for these settings?

Any other ideas I should look into?

One effect of 0906 BIOS has been less severe crashes. When my game crashes, only the game does and it leaves a neat little minidump and log file behind in its folder.

I have yet to enable all core performance mode... does that risk anything in terms of stability w/regard to this XMP problem?

4 total errors in 2 hours, 23 minutes under a full Memtest run with the above settings. 😕

I turned off XMP and set memory to 'DDR4-3600' in the frequency menu, voltage to 1.365 (so it would be 1.36 stable, otherwise it drops to 1.34 for some reason), and Memory Tweak to Mode 2 (which it was already at, it puts VCCSA/VCCIO at 1.2 and 1.27, forget which is which) and got no errors in Memtest.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Ive noted more than once XMP profiles not working as they should and just got accustomed to setting dram manually. Ive found I get better stability and better OC results.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Ah, spoke too soon. The reason the memory appeared slower was that it was at 17-17-17-whatever. The advertised timing for this memory is 15-15-15-35. When I entered those values in normally, it still threw errors in Memtest.

I noticed XMP info had TRRDS, TRRDL, and TFAW values that the BIOS was not using. I put in the correct settings (keeping XMP off), but still problems. I'm now trying TRFC 677 (535 default). XMP/SPD info gave TRFC1, TRFC2, and TRFC4 values instead of one TRFC. Someone else using G.Skill RAM saw that they used the higher TRFC number than what the BIOS was so I'm trying that.

If that doesn't work, next step is to try the presets. There's a 1.35v/3600MHz setting in one of them.

If that doesn't work, I'll try tinkering with VCCIO/VCCSA and Vdimm again. Right now, with Tweak Mode 2, VCCIO and VCCSA are at 1.208 and 1.27x (top value, I don't recall which, is 1.208, bottom is 1.27).

I wonder if VCCSA and VCCIO may be too high and causing problems...

Either way, this board needs a new BIOS update that can properly implement XMP profiles and complement them with correct timing settings. I wonder if simply wrong or overly aggressive values aren't behind all the XMP instability.

No!! 😞

It completed first pass through Memtest without errors, then threw a bunch in the second pass...

I'll try just raising TRFC a bit.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Have you tried testing your memory sticks at stock defaults to rule out them being defective?

I got no errors through a complete Memtest run (4/4 passes) at 2133 and non-XMP 3600 at 17-17-17. (2 hours 23 minutes, around)

When the errors show, they do so within 45 min.