cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AsusROG G752VT USB 3.0 dual docking external HDD problem when copying files

m-gucci
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I am having issues when using external SATA3 HDDs on dual docking station USB 3.0 with two slots for two HDDs.
I am having a chipset C236 and my USB 3.0 drivers are provided by Microsoft (driver made in 2015), not by Intel. I did everything to find a Intel driver for Windows 10 home or PRO but no luck.
My problem is simple and I am seeking for a simple solution also:
When I put two HDD (2x2TB or 2x4TB or a combination, it doesn't matter), on a dual docking station and plug it into USB 3.0 port (any from 4xUSB 3.0 ports on my Asus), I select a folder with, say, images (I do photography) and I want to copy from one to another HDD on docking station. For a moment, few photos (or files) get copied and then copying speed drops to 0 (zero) and one photo gets copied on every 10-15 seconds. When I copy from docking station external HDD to m2 SSD on laptop, everything goes fine with 150MBS average. The problem is with dual external docking station when copying files to do daily backup to some folders.
When I copy from one to another docking station (1st docking station external HDD > laptop > 2nd docking station external HDD) everything goes fine.

So, the problem is with two external HDDs on one docking station which works on another girlfriends Asus ROG similar model and any other laptop. Be advised that I tried another 2 same model docking stations so that's not the issue here.

Is there a solution for this?? Thanks a lot in advance!
13 REPLIES 13

Eleiyas
Level 10
Have you tried setting up your dual-dock as a RAID storage, so Windows only recognizes it as one huge storage?

If not, are your bigger hard drives in the right partition format? I know my friend's 3TB was not being recognized (only as 2TB) and he needed to format it and change partition layout so Windows would recognize the whole 3TB.

All HDDs are recognized and can acces to files, use them etc. but when it comes to copy from one to another HDD on the same docking station, it runs for a few seconds and then stops at 0kbs and EJECTS all of my devices which are plugged on any USB ports, restarts them and plugged them again. Very strange I have to say. I also did a BIOS update today and no luck. I even tried to use a USB 3.0 driver from my girlfriends ROG (similar but not the same model) and no luck also. Strange that this combination works on any other laptop with Intel chipset but here, no. And yes, all my HDD are in GPT, and I tried with a combination SSD 120GB and 2TB WD on same docking station - no, just stops and eject all devices plugged in USB ports and connects them again.

So, I finally managed to get a solution which I consider SOLVED for now after few test.
The problem was only in WINDOWS 10 drivers. First, I got a laptop with WINDOWS 10 HOME which is totally unacceptable since this OS is not providing good drivers and the store sold it to me like that. Anyway, I updated to WIN 10 PRO with no luck so I finally dig x64WIN 10 PRO latest edition with latest drivers. Updating the system was OK and I immediately compared Intel 3.0 USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller driver which was in HOME and early PRO WIN 10 version made in 2015. Now it's a driver from 2016. and after tweaking in device manager > disk drives > right click on drives > properties > policies > BETTER PERFORMANCE > ENABLE WRITE CASHING ON DEVICE - everything works around 100-145MBs, sometimes more, sometimes less no matter what disk (SSD or mechanical HDD - tweaking is essential in sentence before this what you read or it will make mess again and stop the copying or moving files).
So if you have trouble with you Asus and drivers, update to the LATEST LATEST version od x64 WINDOWS 10 PROFESSIONAL.

Also, I hear some cracking noise from the speakers from the beginning just before and after some sound. I will see if this continues with new drivers provided by latest Windows 10 PRO x64.

Interesting to see is that CPU in idle is around 17-21% doing nothing - just system idle. Before it was much less, around 1-4%.
Any suggestions?

So after several times to copy/paste from one to another HDD on same docking station, situation is next: not all HDDs will work in line on same docking station. It looks to me that this depends on what HDD do you have at once and also a combination of these and if one is source and other is receiving information. So, it's a problem with LC dual docking station or something else but best would be to have two different docking stations with only one HDD on each.
So, problem is partially solved and you have to test the combinations and see which one fully works, in 2017. I find this very prehistoric and dull problem.

m-gucci wrote:
Interesting to see is that CPU in idle is around 17-21% doing nothing - just system idle. Before it was much less, around 1-4%.
Any suggestions?

Have you by any chance updated bios to 216 or 303? When I updated to 303, I got about 20% system usage even in idle and CPU0 100% usage. CPU fan noise gets noticeable and CPU temp goes above 50C. GPU temp stays at about 48. All these in idle.

Try installing the Thunderbolt 3 Firmware update. Restart. Let windows update and restart one more time. It solved my problem. CPU temp=42C, GPU temp=48C while browsing the net.

Yeah, I solved that also, I updated again and after few restarts it works fine. I didn't have so much annoying and wasted time with a computer like with Asus - even the one from my girlfriend, both ROG series. Nothing is smooth and user friendly, horrible driver support, nothing is transparent - seems that ASUS wants you NOT to buy their products. Not to mention annoying popping sounds from speakers which many Aus series have as I read threads.! People, today is 2017. year, this kind of downgrading and not fixing the simple issues cannot be forgiven for this kind of money.
I even got a dead pixel on my screen (white pixel), driver for card reader is not working. And had to pay for all that 1600EUR. I have my warranty so I will search my money back soon, don't have patience for crap like this.

Eleiyas
Level 10
So it doesn't look to be an issue with your gaming unit, but with your docking system?

m-gucci
Level 7
After exactly one year, issue was partilly resolved for a while by using win-raid modified drivers for usb 3.0 - 3.1. Partially!!! For 1600€!!! When windows 10 did an update, everything went back to hell. Now I packed my Asus to the box, prepared warranty and bill - back to shop and NEVER EVER ASUS AGAIN!!!!