cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding firewire fw400 ieee1394 to g752vt?

surfer96
Level 7
Hi,

I would like to connect an old camcorder to my G752VT using a firewire cable in order to transfer videos stored on mini-DV tapes.
Any ideas for the easiest (working) solution of adding a firewire (IEEE-1394) port to my laptop?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
There are Thunderbolt adapters for Firewire available for Macs. I've no idea if those adapters would work on Windows PC. Other than that I don't think this is possible. The next best solution would be to use the video out on your camcorder into some sort of USB/thunderbolt video capture device.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Gustave
Level 9
surfer96 wrote:
Hi,

I would like to connect an old camcorder to my G752VT using a firewire cable in order to transfer videos stored on mini-DV tapes.
Any ideas for the easiest (working) solution of adding a firewire (IEEE-1394) port to my laptop?

Thanks!

I own a G752VY (as you can see in my sig.) and early this week I received my OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock which has a bunch of ports along with a firewire800 one (only 400 on Windows machines). I already digitized two Hi8 tapes from my old Sony DCR-TRV820E Digital8 Camcorder. Without a glitch.
It does cost about $299,- but you get a lot for that money. Very sturdy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

xeromist
Ah OK, good to know it works on PC.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…