cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS (6th generation) graphical performance issues?!

jerrysandholm
Level 7
This has been bothering me for some time, but when playing newer/performance-demanding games like TW Warhammer, BF1, TC Ghost Recon, Battlegrounds i'm experiencing low or very uneven FPS-rate. Compared to my stationary computer, with a ROG GTX 1060 6Gb i have stable FPS, and in most cases better FPS.
In every GPU comparison benchmark i've read, the GTX 1070 (m) kicks GTX 1060 ass, with up to 30%

I have reinstalled Windows, with reformatting etc, i've used DDU when updating graphic drivers.
A few examples:
TW Warhammer (normal sized battle on ULTRA): 45-60 fps
BF1 (ULTRA): 50-60 fps
Ghost Recon (Very High/High): 35-55 fps
Battlegrounds (High/Ultra): 14-20 fps (opening scene before jumping out of airplane)/in-game 40-55 fps

The cap of 60 fps is due to G-SYNC, i know that, but its the same when turning G-SYNC off, but the drops is annoying asf! And when i'm playing on my stationary with i5 6700k, 8gb ddr4, gtx 1060 6gb im constantly on 60 fps, never dropping below 59.
Battlegrounds is in alpha and not very well optimized yet, so it might be better over time.

This persists regardless of underclocking GPU (w/wo CPU) (due to discharge issues) or standard clock during the 30 minutes i have before the machine needs to charge the battery.

Are my expectations too high on the GL502VS (6th generation), or how are you guys experiencing the graphics performance on this machine?
6 REPLIES 6

Btkay
Level 7
jerrysandholm wrote:
This has been bothering me for some time, but when playing newer/performance-demanding games like TW Warhammer, BF1, TC Ghost Recon, Battlegrounds i'm experiencing low or very uneven FPS-rate. Compared to my stationary computer, with a ROG GTX 1060 6Gb i have stable FPS, and in most cases better FPS.
In every GPU comparison benchmark i've read, the GTX 1070 (m) kicks GTX 1060 ass, with up to 30%

I have reinstalled Windows, with reformatting etc, i've used DDU when updating graphic drivers.
A few examples:
TW Warhammer (normal sized battle on ULTRA): 45-60 fps
BF1 (ULTRA): 50-60 fps
Ghost Recon (Very High/High): 35-55 fps
Battlegrounds (High/Ultra): 14-20 fps (opening scene before jumping out of airplane)/in-game 40-55 fps

The cap of 60 fps is due to G-SYNC, i know that, but its the same when turning G-SYNC off, but the drops is annoying asf! And when i'm playing on my stationary with i5 6700k, 8gb ddr4, gtx 1060 6gb im constantly on 60 fps, never dropping below 59.
Battlegrounds is in alpha and not very well optimized yet, so it might be better over time.

This persists regardless of underclocking GPU (w/wo CPU) (due to discharge issues) or standard clock during the 30 minutes i have before the machine needs to charge the battery.

Are my expectations too high on the GL502VS (6th generation), or how are you guys experiencing the graphics performance on this machine?

The fps you are having are in par with other gtx1060 notebooks never the less i noticed while playing dota 2 i am having frame drop/stutter where the game freeze for less then a second every 10 minutes or so which was very annoying triied different solutions but non worked untill i installed it on my SSD and totally fixed the problem and sometimes turning g sync on works better in most games. Remember to have vsync on when gsync is enabled and you don't have to underclock anything as the discharging does not affect performance and check nvdia battery boost and set it to off it is better and disable xbox services and nvidia shadow play

Thanjs for the input, just to clarify, I havent installed Geforce experience, Only driver for graphics card (i used experience earlier, but turned of batteryboost and shadowplay as well). XBOX services are disabled. And the GL502VS im using has a GTX1070 and should outperform the desktop 1060. I have undervolted both CPU and GPU as per the guides on discharge issue. But i have tried without undervolting CPU and GPU but to no end.

Hi @jerrysandholm did you ever resolve this, it seems i have same issue like you, good frames but occasional drops wich are very annoying.
I two did clean install and followed the undervolting guide.

are you guys tracking thermal throttling?

even with undervolting (just the cpu) my GL702VS would hit high 90c's and then throttle.

so far the only thing that prevents it is running the cpu at 99%.

I only play Battlegrounds at the moment, and in its current state it's hard to tell if the machine is causing issue or just a buggy game.. but overall it runs well. (i don't have everything on high/ultra though)..*

Lord_Breadcrust
Level 7
You have to take into consideration that the HDD on this laptop is very low quality (and very slow). Especially with older games you'll realize this. Only solution is to install it to the SSD or swap it to SSD with Steam every time you play. With the undervolting of the CPU and Vsync on it should never overheat. I'm always under 85°C with the CPU when playing BF1. In winter even sub 80°C

hectorbastida
Level 7
Guys I have de gl502vs model I actually get low temps(for this laptop at least) from 60C to 75C on ultra settings but I get frame drops in all games (even rocket league) This tsarted happening after I did a clean install of my my laptop, already set nvidia control panel to adaptive mode por power and high performance for the laptop on settings, its driving me nuts.

I just did set max and min processor to 99%, use fan control and updated my drivers with driver booster 4, im a missing something or is my laptop or any of my components faulty?