cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 980Ti Matrix fans

Dunpeal83
Level 7
Hi, I have a Matrix 980ti card and the problem is that the left fan RPM randomly goes up to full. As said this happens at random, often under no load (card stays at 30 degrees). This isn't indicated in any monitoring program (HWmonitor, GPU TweakII etc. shows 1000RPM). When manually changing the speed of the fan I can hear the second fan spinning up and down (and it shows on monitors) but the first one works on its own. Was there ever a bios update for this card? Could it be a voltage problem?
7 REPLIES 7

Marcello_S
Level 7
I can give you some advice, though I don't know if they will ever work.
- using DDU uninstall completely the graphic driver;
- uninstall any program that changes the fan speed of your graphic card (including Ai Suite if you have it);
- check your PSU state if it's working as it should;
- unplug your GPU and perform a cleaning of your PCI-E slot where your GPU was plugged in;
- check the fan cable of your GPU to see if some connector got loose or it's not plugged properly;

Other than those advices I wouldn't know. I just gave you some general hints that you may already know.

FuryA
Level 8
hi dump
as Marcello.S suggested tips, if still happen randomly goes up to full
advice to contact the service center to get help RMA service for check

g_rowell
Level 7
Dunpeal83,
I had 2 of these in SLI, however one would randomly go to full fan speed. mine actually got so bad it ended up starting to fault my power supply.

you only have one option and that's to RMA it

I got the same problem with the same video card. It started several months ago, but it becomes worth and worth (happens more frequently).

I also noticed, fan stops working when GPU temperature drop below 30 degrees. When I open door on my balcony and fresh air starts moving on the floor, the problem reproduces very often, once every 1-2 minutes. With close balcony it happens only once every 30 minutes.

It doesn't happen, when I am in BIOS or in Windows without video card drivers. In this cases GPU temperature is 35-38 degrees. I think it is because power saving options don't work and GPU Core Clock is not dropping to 130 MHz.

I believe this is not software problem, since software cannot control 2 fans separately. I tried to uninstall Asus AI Suite 3, and reinstall video driver with DDU. No changes.

I also recorded video, how it looks (start looking from 50 second):

I have the same problem, I fixed it (kind of) by setting the fan % to 46 in gpu tweak. One of the fans still won't run. Just remember to change it back to 'auto' when you're gaming. It still takes a few minutes for the fan to stop it's cycle so it might only be a temporary solution.

dubpynchon wrote:
I have the same problem, I fixed it (kind of) by setting the fan % to 46 in gpu tweak. One of the fans still won't run. Just remember to change it back to 'auto' when you're gaming. It still takes a few minutes for the fan to stop it's cycle so it might only be a temporary solution.

Is one of the two fans not working at all?

The fan(s) don't stop or slow down immediately according to the temps. The time it takes for it to do so depends on how aggressive you set the fan curve.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
If anyone is still having issues after RMA, private message me:
1. Your system specs.
2. Windows, driver, and GPU Tweak version.
3. VGAinfo details. Download here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1R7MP2FVwFL_HOe1p4gXHdmC2iTASDy0P