Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVMe
    CPU CoolerPhanteks PH-TC14PE_BL
    CaseNZXT Source 530
    Power SupplyEVGA 1000 P2
    Keyboard WASD V2 w/ Cherry MX Green
    Mouse Tek Syndicate Standard Issue
    OS Arch Linux

Lightbulb Aura Lighting Control on Linux

I would like to have some control over the Aura RGB lights through Linux. I would be willing to contribute time/code but I need a place to start.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I guess if it were that easy someone would have written an alternative for Windows that fixes the dead LED issues. What would be cool is if someone could write a bootable image that allows you to change the LEDs before any OS starts.

ROG Member Array HarlemSquirrel PC Specs
    HarlemSquirrel PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800X
    Memory (part number)16GB Corsair Vengence @ 3200
    Graphics Card #1AMD Saphire Radeon Fury X
    MonitorASUS PB278
    CaseNZXT Source 530
    Power SupplyEVGA 1000 P2
    OS Arch Linux

It would be awesome if there were some open source software or documented API instead of relying on closed software that works only on one OS. I would buy a motherboard with open source software in a heartbeat. The money here is in selling the hardware anyhow.

ROG Member Array

I haven't heard of any open source Aura control but if you do start a project I'd definitely be interested in testing it. Sounds like a great idea.

New ROGer Array

I'm on it !!
    I'm Asus GL553VD owner, running it with archlinux, 4.9ltskernel with no support for the RGB keyboard, it's sad have to boot with W$ justo to change the color of the KBD, for just put it off.
    There's a problem with kernel support. Out there are some patches and workarrounds for it like this

I hope this will be a solution soon...
    Bless !
    Last edited by Ifadeout; 06-22-2017 at 10:51 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array SexyTerrorisT PC Specs
    SexyTerrorisT PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VI Hero
    Processor1800X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1060 SC
    Monitor23' Acer 120 Hz GD245HQ
    Storage #1Samsung 1TB 960 Pro
    CPU CoolerEK-SUPREMACY EVO AMD, EK-CoolStream XE 360 ,EK-CoolStream CE 280 , EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial
    Case750D airflow edition
    Power SupplySeasonic 850 Prime Titanium
    Keyboard Razer Lycosa
    Mouse Razer Lachessis 5600
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
    I would like to have some control over the Aura RGB lights through Linux. I would be willing to contribute time/code but I need a place to start.
    I feel you. I would also like to contribute in this scenario but seems the only solution is to reverse engineer the stuff and redo and open source progeam yourself taking the precaution to take clean-room engineering approach... Too much hassle really. Just set the rgb on windows and reboot on linux?

HarlemSquirrel PC Specs
    MonitorASUS PB278
    CaseNZXT Source 530
    Power SupplyEVGA 1000 P2
    OS Arch Linux

Quote Originally Posted by SexyTerrorisT View Post
    I feel you. I would also like to contribute in this scenario but seems the only solution is to reverse engineer the stuff and redo and open source progeam yourself taking the precaution to take clean-room engineering approach... Too much hassle really. Just set the rgb on windows and reboot on linux?
    I haven't dual booted this system in ages. I don't even have a working Windows key at this point. Many games are working great on Linux these days that's to Valve and the community.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ROG Enthusiast Array SexyTerrorisT PC Specs
    SexyTerrorisT PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VI Hero
    Processor1800X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1060 SC
    Monitor23' Acer 120 Hz GD245HQ
    Storage #1Samsung 1TB 960 Pro
    CPU CoolerEK-SUPREMACY EVO AMD, EK-CoolStream XE 360 ,EK-CoolStream CE 280 , EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial
    Case750D airflow edition
    Power SupplySeasonic 850 Prime Titanium
    Keyboard Razer Lycosa
    Mouse Razer Lachessis 5600
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
    I haven't dual booted this system in ages. I don't even have a working Windows key at this point. Many games are working great on Linux these days that's to Valve and the community.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    I don't think Asus is going to bother making linux version of their utilities, probably even less an open source version since those utilities are added value on the board and selling points between brands. You only hope is that Vulkan become incredibly successful and makes Windows and DX12 irrelevant for gamers. It is after all a republic of gamers and most gamers are still on windows ( and users). Kuddos to Valve with their efforts but seems its nowhere near enough at the moment. Especially for new releases.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

I argue +1 on an open (or at least semi-open) SDK for Aura control.

Let's face truth here:
    The competitors have already come up with their own RGB LED implementations because LEDs can be plugged into power anywhere on board and RGBs can be plugged into firmware/software control code anywhere there's a couple of spare signal pins, and they're a rather low (probably very last) priority on the PCB trace paths. I've never analyzed the RGBness of competing RGB-capable motherboards, but I feel fairly confident that each manufacturer has engineered a different proprietary approach towards the same common objective.

A ROG Aura SDK (or API or BIN or whatever) is basically useless for anything and anybody who doesn't happen to have a ROG Aura platform to run it on. It's hardware-centric for a very specific (proprietary) motherboard design paradigm, it can't be "pirated" or "stolen" or "exploited" on any (non-ROG) platform which wires up a bunch of RGB LEDs in any kind of different fashion.

I've always disdained proprietary lockouts on software which is utterly useless without owning (buying!) the proprietary hardware it's specifically designed to operate. Let the people have full control over their pretty lights - it can only encourage more people to develop more creative new uses for this (otherwise largely useless) hardware feature, it'll certainly not negatively impact sales of ROG Aura products or give competing motherboard engineers some sort of secret insight into amazing new ways of wiring up LEDs, lol. I don't see NVIDIA forcing people to prove they own NVIDIA GPUs before downloading their driver packages - what would be the point? - would AMD or Intel realistically gain any kind of edge by looking at NVIDIA's code?

Windows and Windows gaming will not go extinct for a long, long time. But linux and linux gaming has always been slowly (glacially) gaining traction (in a hugely uphill battle). Imagine how much farther and faster linux gaming would go with a bunch of decent Vulkan games providing the impetus. A free, powerful, configurable, awesome OS vs a costly, bloated, "automated", problematic OS ... the choice becomes quite simple the first (or third or tenth) time you have to pay (again) for a WinOS and Microsoft Product Keys that got screwed up after swapping drives or other hardware. I foresee a day when gamers deliberately weigh the merits of both mainstream (game) operating systems, and I think that day will come not too long after a 2nd- or 3rd-gen Vulkan descendant can demonstrably hold its own vs Microsoft's DirectX. (I only wonder if Microsoft will one day "magnanimously" sacrifice DX to the freeware wolves to save what they can of their Windows market monopoly, but that's speculation for another thread.)

I can promise that if/once linux can run cool user-controllable Aura effects - be they from Asus or from selflessly evil codehackers - Windows will suddenly gain comparable capabilities in a remarkably short timeframe.
    Last edited by Korth; 06-23-2017 at 01:22 AM.

HarlemSquirrel PC Specs
    MonitorASUS PB278
    CaseNZXT Source 530
    Power SupplyEVGA 1000 P2
    OS Arch Linux

Linux gaming has come a LONG way in just a few year. There's now 7405 games compatible with Linux on Steam.

I completely agree that hardware like this should have open source software that goes along with it. Look at hardware like the Raspberry Pi where the community has exploded. Versatility through hardware AND software is what drive people to but hardware.

Would anyone buy this motherboard if it only worked with one CPU?

Would anyone but this motherboard if it only worked with a handful of games?

No, of course not. Asus has taken one step in the right direction by adding 3D printing parts for this board which is one of the reasons I bought this one.

Asus, take things one step further and allow us to build open source software for our RGB LEDs, please!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast