cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS 1080Ti STRIX Help!

DOOGLAK
Level 7
Hi
I'm a first time builder and I just received my GPU [1080Ti Strix] today. I've been building my computer with a friend but he's away for a week and I don't want to wait that long.

I know that first I should snap the GPU into place on the mobo, but after that I'm slightly confused.

There are 2 8-Pin slots on the GPU, but my power supply [EVGA 750W Gold] VGA cable only has one 8Pin and the cable that came with the GPU is 2 6-Pins and a 8-Pin...

Do I need to connect two VGA cables to the GPU? What's the use of the cable that came with the GPU?
Is there anything else I should know when installing?

Keep in mind I've never installed a GPU,
Thanks!!!
4 REPLIES 4

Marcello_S
Level 7
Hi DOOGLAK, first of all could you please specify the exact model of your PSU? I'm asking you this so that we can help you out more in detail.

The cable that came with the GPU (2 x 6 pin - 8pin) should be left in box as they're generally power adapter for PSU which have molex to pin connector.
To plug the GPU to your PSU you should just use only the cables that came with the PSU.
Some PSU manufactures have a 8 pin to 2 x 6+2 pin connector which is the one you need to plug your GPU to your PSU.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
If the PSU is the 80+ Gold 750W, it should have come with at least two modular 8pin PCIE connectors. As mentioned above, wouldn't recommend using the splicer that comes with the GPU when it's not needed.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hi, is it possible that my GTX 1080 TI works only in BIOS due to weak power supply? I do have an older Corsair 750 W PSU that only has 6+2 plugs (no 8 pins). But if I plug two 6+2 plugs into the GPU , I can only boot into BIOS, after the POST messages, the PC stops to continue and the monitor switches off due to no signal...

JCGJCGJCG wrote:
Hi, is it possible that my GTX 1080 TI works only in BIOS due to weak power supply? I do have an older Corsair 750 W PSU that only has 6+2 plugs (no 8 pins). But if I plug two 6+2 plugs into the GPU , I can only boot into BIOS, after the POST messages, the PC stops to continue and the monitor switches off due to no signal...

Hi there, could you please specify the model of your Corsair PSU? All modern PSUs have a slot with 8 pins -> 6+2 pins as terminal cables so you shouldn't worry about that. High efficiency PSUs have also a 8 pins -> 2*(6+2) pins ( and the 6+2 pins terminal merged with the main 6+2 pins terminal is called bridge connector).

Here's an example of 8 pins -> 6+2 pins:

That configuration of the pins is a must to ensure complete compatibility within all graphic cards around.

To help you troubleshooting your problem, could you please list all the components of your computer? All I can tell you in advance is try to unplug completely your GPU (from PSU and from motherboard slot) and try to boot the system without it, and see what happens.
By the way next time I suggest you to open a new thread.

Best Regards