cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

odd boot upon restart with windows creators update.

LordZaros
Level 7
hey guys, i got an intel i7-7700k paired with the R.O.G IX hero and an Asus GTX 980 strix. upon installing the creators update my computer no longer has a boot logo when i restart my rig. ontop of that trying to enter bios gets me to a black screen. if i just completely shut down my pc and power it back up i do get my boot logo and what not with the ability to get into bios but for some reason restarts just gets me a black screen that won't go away till the OS itself takes over. its very odd to me. only with the creators update installed does this happen. is there any fix for this?
11 REPLIES 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
Disable Fast Start up in the OS power settings and fast boot in the BIOS.
Fast start up simply dumps the kernel and drivers to a hyberfil.sys file then reloads it when rebooting. This has been problematic from its inception and doesnt save any time that Ive noted, if it does it may be a second or two at most. Thing is if there is a problem, its just going to reload it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

LordZaros
Level 7
i did as you suggested and didn't work. it sucks because i use the asus boot tool quite frequently and now its useless because of this weird issue

JustinThyme
Level 13
Try setting BIOS to defaults, save and exit, then go back and make your changes with the exceptions. Don't disable the splash screen or change the F2 prompt delay. *If it's not the OS then it's the BIOS as you can configure the BIOS to do exactly what you are seeing.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

xeromist
How is your display connected? If it's DP do you have the same issue if you connect HDMI?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

LordZaros
Level 7
Ii use hdmi to a tv display but i dont think thats the issue because it goes away completely if i roll back to windows 10 non creators update

xeromist
Well, my thought was that the creators update is somehow changing the default output to something you aren't using. Like perhaps the display output is defaulting to the onboard ports rather than your discrete GPU.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

LordZaros
Level 7
I noticed that onboard graphics are taking over. When I did a reset and quickly swapped hdmi to motherboard I got to see my boot screen. There's definitely something very strange going on with that creators update. Believe me, I tried resetting my bios back to defaults. Doing so is really annoying. I used to think it was just my GPU acting up so I tested someone else's 750ti and it still didn't solve anything.

skellattarr
Level 10
maybe its the gpu driver try using ddu then install a new driver
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case