cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32,0 GB RAM Windows shows 15,9 only used

huPo1337
Level 7
Hi,

sometimes my windows tells me it uses only 15,9 GB from 16 GB but i have 32 GB. WHY?

CROSSHAIR VI HERO BIOS 1201

F4-3200C16Q-32GVK
DDR4-3200 PC4-25600
8192 MB x 4
CL16-16-16-36 1.35v

btw. i cant flash my bios when i enable S4+S5
21 REPLIES 21

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The memory is being mapped for non-use do to instability and the resultant training failure. The BIOS flashing will not be an issue if clearing the BIOS before the flash as should always be done.

I had similar problem, what you can try is:

- Update to latest BIOS
- Try loosening CPU cooler screws
- If you only have 2 memory sticks, try putting them in different slots

It is possible that some of your DIMM slots are problematic, so you may have to RMA. See other threads the report similar problems:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92808-Only-1-RAM-Stick-working

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93576-Anyone-have-problems-with-Kingston-HyperX-Fury-2133m...

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
tarruda wrote:
I had similar problem, what you can try is:

- Update to latest BIOS
- Try loosening CPU cooler screws
- If you only have 2 memory sticks, try putting them in different slots

It is possible that some of your DIMM slots are problematic, so you may have to RMA. See other threads the report similar problems:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92808-Only-1-RAM-Stick-working

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93576-Anyone-have-problems-with-Kingston-HyperX-Fury-2133m...

Praz has already responded with the most likely solution given the memory settings. Best not to tell him he has a faulty board when that's unlikely.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Praz has already responded with the most likely solution given the memory settings. Best not to tell him he has a faulty board when that's unlikely.

It doesn't seem that unlikely, I have seen quite a few reports of this happening with this model. When I first sent an email to ASUS support, they immediately said that if the problem was not solved with the latest BIOS, then there's a good chance the motherboard has broken DIMM slots.

Also, I never said his motherboard was faulty, simply that it is a possibility since a similar problem happened to me and others. If you read my post again you'll see that I also mentioned other possible solutions first.

tarruda wrote:
It doesn't seem that unlikely, I have seen quite a few reports of this happening with this model. When I first sent an email to ASUS support, they immediately said that if the problem was not solved with the latest BIOS, then there's a good chance the motherboard has broken DIMM slots.

Also, I never said his motherboard was faulty, simply that it is a possibility since a similar problem happened to me and others. If you read my post again you'll see that I also mentioned other possible solutions first.

Quite a few confirmed reports, or just reports?

The OP hasn't even stated if he's running the memory at stock. It doesn't matter what way you cut it, the OP said Windows is not displaying the full amount of system memory. Jumping to stating the board might be faulty from that information alone is a stretch without evaluating what the user is doing in the UEFI.

Silent Scone wrote:

in a given forum; or in any forum rather, you want as many people interested in giving advices.
it's in the administrator's interest as well as user/ community interest.

i don't see a problem with additional advice being given.
(yeah i saw the eleiya@ASUS' post, i'm a rebel. rawr).

i do have a problem if the advice i give (somehere in this forum) is being shot down by some wannabe suckup to score himself brownie points. it's in my own vested interest (and yours too) that i discourage such behavior, no?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane wrote:

Careful, or I'll put you on the naughty step 😛

@OP, judging by the fact that Windows sometimes detects the 32GB, then only detects 16GB, I'd say one of 2 things.

1 - one of your RAM modules (or more) are faulty and are not connecting properly to the board. maybe try reseating them a bit more firmly, just to make sure they are really in the slots.

2 - maybe one of the RAM seats on the motherboard has a loose connection; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Have you got any spare RAM you could try in the slots to make sure it isn't the board that's faulty? Let's say you use 2 * 4GB sticks and on boot-up of WIndows it shows 8GB, then it only shows 4GB - you then know the board is the issue

haihane wrote:
in a given forum; or in any forum rather, you want as many people interested in giving advices.
it's in the administrator's interest as well as user/ community interest.

i do have a problem if the advice i give (somehere in this forum) is being shot down by some wannabe suckup to score himself brownie points. it's in my own vested interest (and yours too) that i discourage such behavior, no?

There is no advice in this post, though 😉

Perhaps the the OP should try reseating the CPU and trying the board outside of the enclosure...

Eleiyas
Level 10
Guys - please don't let this turn into an argument of who said what and when, ok?

The main point here is to try and help OP with his RAM issue ^^

When we get more information about the setup/settings OP is running, we can get a better idea of where the issue is coming from.

@OP - have you tried reseating your RAM? Are you using any OverClock settings?

EDIT: I'm not seeing your specific RAM part# on the QVL for the C6H:

G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-32GFXR 32GB(8GB*4) SS 16-16-16-36 1.35V ● ●
G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-32GFX 32GB(8GB*4) SS 16-16-16-36 1.35V ● ●

Not your: G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-32GVK(8GB*4) CL 16-16-16-36 1.35v

That could be why it isn't registering 😕