cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New asus swift rog pg279q - queries

Belshaddon
Level 7
Hello guys

I would appreciate clarification on a few things I have noticed on my new pg279q:

- monitor light has a tendency to be red or remain red when i am viewing desktop..is this not supposed to be white when gsync is not active?
-monitor flickers when loading up a game or switching to desktop for example, is this normal?
- I notice a small black border on the screen around the edges near the plastic edges themselves, is this normal? Isnt the screen supposed to be lit up to the edges themselves?
- first time i turned monitor off with pc... i could not get it to start up again from standby. I removed its plug from electricity outlet and reconnected then it worked. I have since disabled deep sleep options from it and this never happened again. is this a known issue?
- i have noticed what seem to be a bright spot in the middle bottom part of the screen, not even a bright spot..more like part of the circumference of a circle...like something was pressed against the screen... this can be seen mostly against a white background and if i am actively looking for it. Doesnt bother me at all durng gaming for example. Pictures posted below. - please note that although visible in the picture of a black background, this appears on the picture taken, not really visible to the naked eye if looking directly at monitor

dot visible on middle of white screen (look to the right near middle):

dot visible on black screen image - exactly above the 'A' of the ASUS logo (looking from the side):

ingame screenshot, does not appear visible to me:

border:

Thanks for taking the time to read through this, just want to make sure all is in order with the screen, help/feedback is appreciated
9 REPLIES 9

Eleiyas
Level 10
I would recommend you RMA the screen; get in contact with ASUS support in order to do so.

Just the bright spot is enough to warrant RMA'ing the unit

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
I would recommend you RMA the screen; get in contact with ASUS support in order to do so.

Just the bright spot is enough to warrant RMA'ing the unit

Thanks for the reply, any idea what the "bright spot" could be? what do you think of the other issues/non issues?

Should i contact the retailer first to see if they will replace before RMA'ing with manufacturer?

Belshaddon wrote:
Thanks for the reply, any idea what the "bright spot" could be? what do you think of the other issues/non issues?

Should i contact the retailer first to see if they will replace before RMA'ing with manufacturer?

Well, it could be a pressure point behind the panel or a damaged panel.

Indeed, you should go through your retailer first and see what they say about it. Make sure to keep those photos handy 🙂

About the other issues...

the standby one I'm not sure, could be PC power settings or monitor power settings.

Black edge around the screen? please try and provide better pictures of that as I can't see it.

LED remaining red/white? again, could be your settings.

Flickering screen could be the screen trying to adjust to the game's resolution (if you run your desktop at a higher resolution).

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
Well, it could be a pressure point behind the panel or a damaged panel.

Indeed, you should go through your retailer first and see what they say about it. Make sure to keep those photos handy 🙂

I just hope I am offered a replacement, I am afraid they would suggest returning this unit to supplier and keeping me without a monitor in the meantime, or even attempting to repair/disassemble the unit, i.e. ruining its current new state.

About the other issues...

the standby one I'm not sure, could be PC power settings or monitor power settings.
I turned off deep sleep settings and it never happened again, still, seemed like a strange event, will try turning them on and replicating the issue.

Black edge around the screen? please try and provide better pictures of that as I can't see it.
what i mean by black edge...the monitor itself has the bezel plastic edges all around, the display itself has a black border all around as well...between the active display and bezel itself, just found it a bit strange as, for example, my older monitor had display all the way to its plastic edges, there also no settings to shrink/expand display, so, I am , at the moment assuming it's just the way this monitor is.

LED remaining red/white? again, could be your settings.
When i started using monitor, i noticed it's led Light is white when on desktop, turning to red when , for example, a game is loaded and gsync kicks in, reverting back to white when on desktop i.e. gsync off, now it is just red all the time...(i believe it goes green if you use the anti blur tech instead of gsync as well)

Flickering screen could be the screen trying to adjust to the game's resolution (if you run your desktop at a higher resolution).

I also think this is normal, no flickering during normal operation i.e. playing games, films etc, just occasionally when switching between apps.

I answered your points above. Thanks again for your assistance.

Regarding that white spot, I was nearly willing to overlook it as it is barely noticeable at times but you seem to be pointing out it is a sign of damage in the panel etc. which has me worried.

edit: added pic of the border all around, look where the flash light is showing, i am referring to that black line/border:

You didn't read this forum before buying eh?
Good luck with RMA

zaderoni wrote:
You didn't read this forum before buying eh?
Good luck with RMA

No, i only read extremely excellent reviews all around from major publications or tech review sites, and to be honest, the white spot (which I am sure retailer will argue is not that visible) is my only concern so far, mostly as I am concerned it is damage rather than the visual aspect of it, and, of course, expect the display to be flawless not spotted in any way.

I will let you know how it goes with the retailer today.

Belshaddon wrote:
No, i only read extremely excellent reviews all around from major publications or tech review sites, and to be honest, the white spot (which I am sure retailer will argue is not that visible) is my only concern so far, mostly as I am concerned it is damage rather than the visual aspect of it, and, of course, expect the display to be flawless not spotted in any way.

I will let you know how it goes with the retailer today.

Dude the only review you have to read are from users not from stores. This monitor you got is considered DOA.
You paid that much money and you had already stuck or dead pixel. My monitor after the 4rth RMA has 1 stuck pixel and today I did a test and I found 6 of them.
I will RMA and sell this monitor without unboxing it. I'm pretty sure If I unbox it I will make go to the 5th RMA.
So good luck, hope you get a flawless gem after your RMA and enjoy the monitor.
The monitor itself is great, the best. Asus on the other hand seems not to double check or even check their monitors before production.
Other companies using the same technology don't have this many issues.

Hameli
Level 7
I suggest you return the monitor and get the acer's equivelant, i had the flickering issue (1440p resolution on desktop+game) and monitor sometimes not respoding at all, my monitor stopped working compeletely yesterday you can see my thread here.

Hameli wrote:
I suggest you return the monitor and get the acer's equivelant, i had the flickering issue (1440p resolution on desktop+game) and monitor sometimes not respoding at all, my monitor stopped working compeletely yesterday you can see my thread here.

Hey Hameli,

Thanks for your post. I took this monitor back to retailer and they changed it immediately due to the white spot, they described this as a pressure point (in my opinion probably caused by something inside the monitor, or pressure applied to it when packaged). They have given me a brand new replacement, and incredibly, when i tested, i found what seemed to be pixels which were brighter than others being displayed, kind of like dead or stuck pixels, but the colour changes and works correctly when i change color backgrounds etc.. I was ready to return this again, but tried massaging the spots and applying some pressure gently with my finger and a microfiber cloth, and they have all disappeared. Other than this, the monitor seems fine and is displaying none of the issues (including flickering etc.) that i experienced with the other monitor. Still, I do not understand how such a premium product can have these kind of issues, my previous cheap monitor...a Eur100 benq standard monitor which I have used for 10 years, never had a single issue straight out of the box.

I will keep you posted if any new issues occur, and will also post pictures of the bright spots that I saw when testing 2nd monitor.