cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix GTX 1070 8GB heat issue?

Ghozer
Level 7
Hi,

I recently built a new machine, and have been having some MAJOR issues keeping the temps down....

At first, I thought it was the CPU as they are notorious for heat (i7-7700k) so I talked to Intel, and they agreed to send me a replacement, even though it passed all tests via their own diag software..

I got the new CPU, and there was still temp issues, so I decided to try an alternative CPU cooler - I chose the Alpenfohn Matterhorn (Black Edition)

Under load tests of the CPU, the CPU remains cool and stable...

but as soon as I load the GPU along side it, the temp rises, and eventually hits above 90c and throttles the CPU..

Now, I notice that if touch the side of my case near the GPU, it's VERY hot.... although the GPU temp is reported as 63c...

I believe, it's due to the fact that the fins on the heatsink are side to side (not front to back), so heat is being blasted straight out the side of the GPU, onto the glass panel of my case, heating it (and the inside of the case) up excessivlely.

There's barely any heat coming from the rear of the GPU - but lots comes from the side......

i7-7700k
G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
Asus Prime Z270-A
ROG Strix GTX 1070
Phanteks P400S (Tempered Glass)

- so, any ideas? i'm pretty much 100% sure it's the GPU causing the excessive heat, although the GPU it's self isn't faulty, I just believe it's a bad design....
i'll be testing it later with an older GPU...
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hi Ghozer

Try setting the fans manually or with a fan curve in GPU Tweak II, temps should stay around 60c under full load. As for the side glass panel getting warm how is airflow in your case ?

If the cpu voltage is on auto you can try 1.15v - 1.20v, this will help lower cpu temps.

The GPU temps are fine, the GPU is's self is cool...

the issue is due to the direction of the aluminium fins on the heatsink of the GPU, they go side-to side (direction of MB <> case side) instead of along the length of the GPU..

This, in turn is causing air to be pushed out the sides of the GPU, into the case... with very little of it going out of the back GPU vent....

Also as a result, because I have a Tempered Glass side panel to my case, it gets very hot, as the heat from the GPU is blasting directly onto the inside...

I have attached a picture, taken from the outside of the case, through the glass panel, to show the end of the heatsink fins that i'm talking about...

Nate152
Thank you for the picture.

I have the ROG Strix 1070 and it's a great performer, the highlight is the DirectCU III cooling and it works very well. The ROG Strix 1070 does not exhaust heat out of the back of the case, the heat is exhausted into the case as you're mentioning and good airflow is a must with these types of coolers.

so basically what your saying is there's a flaw in the design of the card, and that's the fact it cannot be used in cases with a Glass side, as it vents into the case, and directly onto the glass, heating up the glass, and keeping heat inside the case.... no matter how many case fans you have, (and how loud it is) it creeps up slowly over the course of about 30-40 minutes...

the GPU temp is fine, ~63 under load..

the CPU temp is fine (without GPU in use) ~60 under full load..

it's only when using them both, together does the CPU hit 90+, which MUST say it's the GPU causing the issue...

Nate152
No it's not a flaw in the design.

Reference coolers exhaust the heat out of the case but don't do a good job cooling the gpu.

DirectCU III cooling cools the gpu much better but exhausts heat into the case.

Back to your cpu, if you have the cpu core/cache voltage on auto it's getting overvolted which is creating unnecessary heat. Try setting the cpu core/cache voltage manually to 1.15v, if it's unstable bump it up .01v to 1.16v, 1.17v, 1.18v etc.. until it becomes stable. This should reduce temps quite a bit.

The best thing you can do for the i7-7700k is delid it and use liquid metal between the cpu die and IHS. I delidded my 7700k and saw a 15c reduction in temps, you may see better results since your temps are higher.

If you're interested in delidding I showed my results in this thread and it's easy to do, start at the 6th post down.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92094-Maximus-IX-Code-A-little-insight-and-delidded-7700k/...

Here is some gameplay of my delidded cpu and ROG Strix 1070, I'm sure you know what all the numbers are. 😉 I will add my side cover was off but with it on max temp is about what yours is 63c.

It's not an issue with the CPU, trust me...

I have been through Intel's support service, RMA'd the CPU once, they sent me a replacement, under load (cinebench, prime95, Intels own CPU diag tool) the CPU sits happily at 60c on 100% load @ stock voltage...

it's literally only when the GPU is also in use that it overheats...

Nate152
All right,

Try clearing the cmos and if that doesn't help try updating to the latest bios.

Already on latest BIOS

already tried Clearing, resetting to defaults, setting manually etc....

Been through it all, several times, with both CPU's....

Nate152
Thank you

I'm not quite sure what is going on but I still think your cpu is getting overvolted on auto voltage or you're using a stress testing program that uses AVX instructions which is causing the high temps.

CPU temps may rise a few degrees when the gpu is under load due to heat being exhausted into the case but not a 30c increase.

Try using ROG Realbench and see what temps are.

https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

Have you tried lowering the cpu core/cache voltage as I suggested ? It's not difficult to do, if you need help just say so. 🙂