cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Out Audio Issues

AUStheWOLF
Level 7
Hello all, I recently swapped speakers to a pair of active Kanto Yumi (https://kantoaudio.com/product/yumi/). Using the 3.5 Line Out I am getting a high frequency hum and it is driving me crazy. I have the ability to hook the speakers up via optical or RCA cables, but I would prefer to use the RCA cables. I started by changing the 3.5-to-RCA cable to diagnose if it was just a bad cable. I only hear the hum while connected to the Line Out from my Crosshair VI motherboard, once it is disconnected the hum does not exist... it also does not exist using other devices. I uninstalled the Realtek driver, and Windows reinstalled the driver and the problem persists.

The speakers do have manually adjustable Input Voltage / Frequency: 120V 60 Hz /240V 50 Hz, but I don't want to damage anything changing stuff I don't know anything about. Connecting the speakers to the output on my front panel yeilds the same results. I really don't think there is any problem with these speakers, they are brand new and sound fantastic. Reading ASUS forums, people have mentioned grounding issues and problems with drivers. I can't figure this one out. Can anyone assist me in this matter? Thank you in advance!
4 REPLIES 4

purecain
Level 9
I'm trying to remove the hum from my complete audio. my first stop will be to make sure I have balanced cables... after that i'll have to start unplugging/uninstalling devices. my first board gave me electric shocks, had a grounding issue and it turned out to be a faulty Ethernet port. or could it of been something else... i'll be glad when we know which componants could possibly be causing the problem. lets hope its fixable... cheers!
AsusCrosshairHeroVIII - 5950X
32Gb G.Skill RGB Trident 16gb3466Mhz B-Die + 16gb4266Mhz B-Die
Asus Tuf RTX3090
1TbSamsung960EVO M.2 1TbSamsung850EVO SSD Seagate2TB/3Tb CorsairForceGt 64gb
Seasonic Focus1000w 80+ Gold
Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered glass side panal

purecain wrote:
I'm trying to remove the hum from my complete audio. my first stop will be to make sure I have balanced cables... after that i'll have to start unplugging/uninstalling devices. my first board gave me electric shocks, had a grounding issue and it turned out to be a faulty Ethernet port. or could it of been something else... i'll be glad when we know which componants could possibly be causing the problem. lets hope its fixable... cheers!

I'm really not sure why this problem is just developing. The Realtek audio software had different amplification levels, decreasing this did not fix anything for me. I definitely have taken cables out of the equation, but cannot say with certainty if the problem lies within my computer itself. I have tried different electrical sockets, and have all plugs connected through an APC power strip. What I am hearing sounds like cellular interference, and I don't know how to diagnose the problem.

For now, the only acceptable way to hook up the speakers is using the Optical output, which gives no interference. Furthermore, I tested the jack by hooking up headphones... sounds perfect. The problem may be with the speakers themselves, but this is odd to me because hooking them up to other devices I do not have the same issue. Several users have mentioned grounding issues, but I'm not even sure how to diagnose the issue. I have a Corsair case, I don't think I should have any grounding issues.

I had this same issue, its related to speakers that are properly earthed. I found the way to solve the problem was to feed the output of the motherboard audio codec through a unity gain differential amplifier, and feed the output to the speakers.

Fair warning, you will need electronics knowledge and soldering skills to get this to work. However I would be happy to share schematics and parts lists. Be warned that just because it worked for me doesn't mean the same for you, and I will NOT be taking responsibility for any damages caused should you choose to undertake the project.

jbasemoine
Level 9
I also have terrible sound isseu's see my threat about it maybe it can help!