cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 5820k Overclock help.

ThePunisher
Level 7
I recently decided to overclock my i7 5820k. the reason i want to overclock is that i play alot of cpu demanding games like the total war games, wargame red dragon and Steel division. i want to try to get some more fps out of those games. So i started reading some guides and watching some video's on the internet on how to overclock my specific CPU. and then decided that i was going to experiment for myself.

What i understand is that the basic of overclocking consists of finding the rigth vcore voltage for your overclock. so i decided to overclock my cpu from it,s stock
3.4 ghz to 4,4 ghz. and i put the vcore on 1.250 volt. i succesfully booted into windows, and used realbench for a 30 minutes stress test to see if my overclock is stable. my cpu passed the stress test. but i noticed in the test that my cpu got really hot. like sometimes reaching 85 c. is this something that i should be concerned about? any way. i considered my overclock stable enough. and decided to let it stay on 4,4 ghz. but then after 4-5 days of use. i turned my computer on and a BIOS message popped up saying that i had a boot failure.

Obviously the boot failure has to do with my overclock.it is still strange from my opinion. because my computer during those days until the boot failure had no problems or crashes. But my question to you guys is what can i do to reach a stable 4,4 GHZ without my computer failing to boot from time time?

My system specs are:

Intel core I7 5820k
Nvidia Geforce 980 ( also overclocked with MSI gaming app)
Gigabyte x99 gaming 5 motherboard
Corsair 16 GB RAM
Corsair watercooler(i don,t know where to find the Exact specs)
250 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD

Hope you guys can help;)
8 REPLIES 8

JustinThyme
Level 13
Well your reason for OC is more legitimate than mine. My reason? Because I can!!
Yes its normal to get hotter when you OC then load it up. 85C is still under Max but hotter than I like to go. The only way to beat it is in the cooling. you dont want to Delid because if memory serves me correctly the 5820s are soldered and therefore the conductivity through the IHS is as good as its going to get. So that brings it to you AIO. If you really want to get it cooler first thing to try is removing the AIO block and double checking the paste and using premium paste like MX4 or similar.

Now if you are really serious follow steps below.
1) remove AIO
2) locate trashcan, open and insert AIO cooler in its entirety!
3) Open THIS webpage and configure and order a custom loop. You dont have to use exactly what this spits out or even order from them. I shopped around and saved about 20%. Also get yourself a decent fan controller and dont rely on jokes like AI Suite.
4) when custom loop arrives install with good thermal paste.
5) Sit back and enjoy the monster you have created.

You temps will drop significantly. Being lazy and seeing how I hadnt tried one yet I went with corsair top of the line highest capacity for a try. I got the same results and even worse on a 6700K I was passing 90C andf could not get the OC past 4.8Ghz. I followed the step above (except didnt insert AIO in trash, kept it for test bed use) and I havent seen temps higher then 72C since and got the OC on the 6700K to 5GHz and now have passed 5.2GHz on a 7700K still havent peaked past 72C and its a lot quieter!!!

If you want to push even more consider buying ROG MOBOs!!:rolleyes:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Well your reason for OC is more legitimate than mine. My reason? Because I can!!
Yes its normal to get hotter when you OC then load it up. 85C is still under Max but hotter than I like to go. The only way to beat it is in the cooling. you dont want to Delid because if memory serves me correctly the 5820s are soldered and therefore the conductivity through the IHS is as good as its going to get. So that brings it to you AIO. If you really want to get it cooler first thing to try is removing the AIO block and double checking the paste and using premium paste like MX4 or similar.

Now if you are really serious follow steps below.
1) remove AIO
2) locate trashcan, open and insert AIO cooler in its entirety!
3) Open THIS webpage and configure and order a custom loop. You dont have to use exactly what this spits out or even order from them. I shopped around and saved about 20%. Also get yourself a decent fan controller and dont rely on jokes like AI Suite.
4) when custom loop arrives install with good thermal paste.
5) Sit back and enjoy the monster you have created.

You temps will drop significantly. Being lazy and seeing how I hadnt tried one yet I went with corsair top of the line highest capacity for a try. I got the same results and even worse on a 6700K I was passing 90C andf could not get the OC past 4.8Ghz. I followed the step above (except didnt insert AIO in trash, kept it for test bed use) and I havent seen temps higher then 72C since and got the OC on the 6700K to 5GHz and now have passed 5.2GHz on a 7700K still havent peaked past 72C and its a lot quieter!!!

If you want to push even more consider buying ROG MOBOs!!:rolleyes:

I don't have the funds currently to buy an entire new watercooling system like the one you proposed from the website. I also don't have experience with computer building and anything related to it. so i would not know how to install such a cooling system without making any mistakes. what i am looking for is for people to give a solution with my set up to reach a 4,4 ghz overclock without my computer failing to boot. so if anyone knows a setup for My CPU That runs stable with 4,4 GHZ or less that would be awesome.

tommiboi
Level 7
JustinThyme, gave you answer on how to drop tempetures 🙂
Is your watercooler 120 or a 240(1x 120 fan or a 2x120 fan ) ?

Why you crashed is another issue. Just saying your not stable. Sometimes this will show weeks later. I had a few times. Could be the peak Volatge wasnt met on Boot.
Realbench is okay but doesnt mean your OC is stable. Only realworld use can determine that and then stilla fter a few days/weeks it can crash.

You could to up the volatge with with 1 or 2 clicks.
1.30 or 1.35 v

Run realbench and keep checking the temps. I dont like temps over 75 on my cpu. But that is just me.

But you wanted to overclock to gain more fps. How much FPS did you gain? am curious if you reached your goal in that part.

Am the same most people.... I OC beacuse I can.
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

tommiboi wrote:
JustinThyme, gave you answer on how to drop tempetures 🙂
Is your watercooler 120 or a 240(1x 120 fan or a 2x120 fan ) ?

Why you crashed is another issue. Just saying your not stable. Sometimes this will show weeks later. I had a few times. Could be the peak Volatge wasnt met on Boot.
Realbench is okay but doesnt mean your OC is stable. Only realworld use can determine that and then stilla fter a few days/weeks it can crash.

You could to up the volatge with with 1 or 2 clicks.
1.30 or 1.35 v

Run realbench and keep checking the temps. I dont like temps over 75 on my cpu. But that is just me.

But you wanted to overclock to gain more fps. How much FPS did you gain? am curious if you reached your goal in that part.

Am the same most people.... I OC beacuse I can.

my watercooler is a 120. I will try 1.30v. i already tried 1.35v but that increased my CPU temp to 95C during the stress test and that made feel uncomfortable.But just to be clear, there are no other settings that i need to change in the BIOS in order to get a more stable result? Like adjusting other voltage settings?

About the fps i gained, i did not benchmark it when i was playing games(which i should have done) but i could feel that certain RTS games felt smoother under 4,4 GHZ. especially during parts where alot was going on on the screen.

Zka17
Level 16
Whenever you increase the voltage, you will increase the heat output too... hence the advice to get a better cooling option...
As it was said before 85C may be in the still OK zone, but long term is not a solution.
So, you have two choices: 1. find the max OC with the lowest voltage; 2. improve the cooling and follow option 1....
Until you don't have better cooling, don't raise the voltages further!

tommiboi
Level 7
I overclock on 120 AIO cooler and i didnt get over 4.1 even though it was a Haswell I5. A 120 AIO cooler isnt better than a decent aircooler. There alot of 240 AIO coolers that work very good. There some 360 out there that are not that high in price. Even the 280( 2x140 ) AIO coolers are getting more mainstream.

I use a predator 360... Its AIO cooler and not... Its more like a Build AIO cooler. So i can exchange parts and it does need maintanance after while.

Anyways 85c isnt a sweet spot. Not to familure with your CPU. I had a feeling 4.4 is pretty much a high OC for that CPU. all the guide on the Inet mostly are done with super nice CPU. They are helping and actually they are not. like everybody knows all CPU are differrent and some will preform good and some wil not even go up with a 100.

Fast checked your CPU. Most of the overclockers use way better cooling solution than you.

I would settle with a lower OC than 4.4 for now

Do benchmark your cpu at deafault first then overclock and rebenchmark. if youonly gain a few FPS ... i might not even be worth it.

tommiboi wrote:
I overclock on 120 AIO cooler and i didnt get over 4.1 even though it was a Haswell I5. A 120 AIO cooler isnt better than a decent aircooler. There alot of 240 AIO coolers that work very good. There some 360 out there that are not that high in price. Even the 280( 2x140 ) AIO coolers are getting more mainstream.

I use a predator 360... Its AIO cooler and not... Its more like a Build AIO cooler. So i can exchange parts and it does need maintanance after while.

Anyways 85c isnt a sweet spot. Not to familure with your CPU. I had a feeling 4.4 is pretty much a high OC for that CPU. all the guide on the Inet mostly are done with super nice CPU. They are helping and actually they are not. like everybody knows all CPU are differrent and some will preform good and some wil not even go up with a 100.

Fast checked your CPU. Most of the overclockers use way better cooling solution than you.

I would settle with a lower OC than 4.4 for now

Do benchmark your cpu at deafault first then overclock and rebenchmark. if youonly gain a few FPS ... i might not even be worth it.

Oke i will i try a lower overclock with lower voltage. i have it now on 4.0GHZ with 1,150V Vcore voltage. temps are now around 68C. it passed the 30 min real bench stress test. i will run this setup now for a few weeks. and if it does not crash in the meantime. i will consider staying with this setup or try to experiment more with how far i can go while staying under 80C.

tommiboi
Level 7
that like nice.

Did you run a benchmark at default setting and 1 at OC setting ?

4k oc i sabout 20plus % OC. That is very decent. Maybe my head math is that good. 🙂