cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"International" warranty

plater777
Level 7
Hi all, bought a month ago a GL553VD and last week the laptop was unusable, the disk always at 100% use, errors on the Event Viewer and BSOD. Reinstalled Windows several times (UEFI and CSM) with no luck. Updated the SATA AHCI driver with no luck. Tuned up the energy management with no luck.

How did I solved it? Replacing the HDD drive. I get a Hirens Boot CD and run some S.M.A.R.T. viewer or HDD regenerator or similar and see warnings of S.M.A.R.T., several reading errors and some bad sectors. I replace the HDD with another one that I have (casually it was from an Asus X55A which has some minor S.M.A.R.T. issues) but the problem is for now solved.

I opened a support case to do the HDD replace and for my surprise the support people told me the warranty is LOCAL not international. I bought the laptop from Amazon Spain and made ship it to Argentina through the Amazon Global service. So my options are: go to the Asus Service Center in Argentina and PAY for the replacement (with a ridiculous overprice) or send the laptop to the Asus Service Center in Spain to apply the warranty but PAYING FOR THE SHIPPING. Also I can ask Amazon to do the replace of the whole product but also I have to pay the shipping to Spain.

I think Asus should restate its warranty policies. In the warranty information that came with the laptop it says the warranty is international but then it clarify it's only applicable for Europe, North America, Asia, Ocenia and a few africans countries. So the WARRANTY IS NOT INTERNATIONAL as it depends where you are.

You guys know if there is another way to apply to my right for warranty? Cause the shipping cost to from Argentina to Spain is at least the double of a brand new mechanical HDD drive.

Any help or ideas? Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
plater777 wrote:
I think Asus should restate its warranty policies.

I checked the Notebook Warranty policy linked on the GL553VD page (US) and that PDF does mention the international warranty countries. Did you encounter an ASUS page that does not state the countries where the international warranty applies? If so I'm sure the ASUS staff here can get it updated if you can provide a link.

As to whether there is a cheaper way to claim your warranty, I'm not sure. Mexico is part of the international warranty area so maybe it would be cheaper to send it there vs Spain? You'd have to check with ASUS support to see if that would be possible.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hi xeromist thanks for the reply. I mean they should state more clearly that the warranty is international with some restrictions. In the warranty that came with the laptop and in the spanish web version it states which countries can apply to the international warranty.

When I say Asus should restate its warrany policies I mean more a semantic issue, if you read it fast the "International Warranty" chapter may mislead you to think the warranty is worldwide.

And in a personal matter, I believe Asus should have a better warranty policies for high-end notebooks. I think ROG laptop shouldn't have the same warranty policies for other low-end laptops, because when purchasing a ROG laptop with the overprice which means I expect as a client a better support service.

xeromist
Ah, well you can certainly post your suggestions in the Product Feedback section. The ASUS people do read those suggestions.

Unfortunately I think the warranty stuff comes down to cost of implementation. It would be more expensive to have a more extensive warranty which would increase the cost of the machines.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…