cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling EK D5 Pump RPM on ROG APEX Motherboard

Nick_Peyton
Level 7
Hi,

I have the Z270 ROG Maximus APEX motherboard.

I have my EK, D5 Pump (for my custom loop) connected to the W_PUMP+ header on the motherboard.

This allows me to monitor the RPM of my pump. However in the BIOS I can't seem to find a way to control the speed.
(I.E. there doesn't appear to be speed control for W_PUMP+).

On my old motherboard, I simply connected it into a normal Fan Header and controlled the speed through the BIOS. (By altering the fan speed).

Is there a way to do this on the APEX while the pump is connected to the W_PUMP+ header?

I *could* just connect the EK D5 pump into a normal fan header (which would then allow me to control the speed). But wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

If I have to connect it to a normal Fan Header to control it's speed -- then why does the W_PUMP+ header even exist??

Also please don't confuse this with the AIO_PUMP header. I don't have an AIO. I have a full custom EK loop.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Nick
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hi Nick

Welcome to the ROG forum !

The W_Pump header will run the pump at 100% and is not adjustable, I'd let it connected to the W-Pump header as voltage fluctuation is harder on the pump motor.

Thanks for the welcome. And fast response. I'm very impressed. Never thought ASUS had such good customer service. I was obviously wrong 🙂

A++

It's an EK D5.

So it gets its power via the Molex connection.

The header connection is purely for monitoring/adjusting speed. (I THINK--or am I wrong)?

Thanks for your reply though.

Any idea why ASUS doesn't allow us to alter the pump speed on W_PUMP+ header? Could this be targeted for future BIOS updates? (it's a 4 pin header so it looks like it's already physically wired for this-- but just needs a software BIOS update).

Also due to it getting it's power via the MOLEX.. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the voltage fluctuation being harder on the motor... how do you mean exactly? (sorry if that sounds like a silly question).

Nate152
My mistake, I do believe your pump is PWM which does keep a constant 12v to the motor. The W_Pump header supports up to 1 amp and is primarily for AIO coolers, if you want to control the pump by PWM it might be best to connect the PWM cable to the cpu fan header.

I have an external cooling unit and I use the W_Pump header and cpu_opt header for fans. My camera sucks for video but you get the idea. 🙂

There are two headers on the motherboard, though-- for pumps.

One is labelled:

W_PUMP+

and the other:

AIO_Pump

It seems silly to have W_PUMP+ if it doesn't actually do anything except allow us to monitor a fixed RPM. If the RPM never changes/cannot be changed whats the point in being able to monitor it?

Can this be forwarded to ASUS Head Office please? For an official response? (and maybe targeted for a future BIOS update)?

Nate152

Fixed the problem: :cool:

Okay the BIOS is slightly confusing.

Even though my custom EK PWM pump is connected into W_PUMP+ header -- you can still control the speed. But you have to do so by editing the settings under AIO_Pump.

The system automatically recognises that you have a custom pump (not an AIO pump) but you still control it through the AIO section of the BIOS. Confusing. But it actually still works perfectly.

I've now full control of pump speed while connected into W_PUMP+. (Even though control is in ASUS software in AIO_Pump AND there is a header on the board for AIO_Pump).

In the monitor tab (in BIOS) scroll right down to the bottom to QV fan control. Hit ENTER. Then it's self-explanatory from there.
or
In the 'Dual Intelligent Processors 5' utility -- click AIO pump. (don't worry -- the system knows it's actually a W_PUMP+ and not an AIO).
(Why they don't distinguish between the two in the ROG software I've no idea).

Nick Peyton wrote:
Fixed the problem: :cool:

Okay the BIOS is slightly confusing.

Even though my custom EK PWM pump is connected into W_PUMP+ header -- you can still control the speed. But you have to do so by editing the settings under AIO_Pump.

The system automatically recognises that you have a custom pump (not an AIO pump) but you still control it through the AIO section of the BIOS. Confusing. But it actually still works perfectly.

I've now full control of pump speed while connected into W_PUMP+. (Even though control is in ASUS software in AIO_Pump AND there is a header on the board for AIO_Pump).

In the monitor tab (in BIOS) scroll right down to the bottom to QV fan control. Hit ENTER. Then it's self-explanatory from there.
or
In the 'Dual Intelligent Processors 5' utility -- click AIO pump. (don't worry -- the system knows it's actually a W_PUMP+ and not an AIO).
(Why they don't distinguish between the two in the ROG software I've no idea).

So to follow up on your "discovery" (Some thing like this shoul really be spelled out on the manual, they pack that thing with 15 page of RAM compatiblity yet only 5 lines for custome water cooling which now a days are the perfered choice for most people).

The W-Pump header is clearly PWM capable since it has 4 pins, but since you are in the BIOS, can you tell me how the BOIS is controlling the pump?

Variable voltage? Which would mean the pump is at a constant RPM and temperature independent? Is the pump RPM constant?

Or, PWM only which might mean you can tie the pump to fluctuate with temperture sensors.

Or, is there a selection between PWM and variable voltage.

This is important since it would mean the W-pump header could be used for both PWM and none PWM pumps.
Always need expert support

Nate152
Awesome !

Great to hear you're able to control the pump speed through the W_Pump header. 🙂

Vlada011
Level 10
When you enter in BIOS press F6 and you will see options and how to set every fan header.
Options are different depend of fans and pump you use. You can controll speed of EK D5 G2 PWM Pump depend of temperature on ASUS ROG Motherboard W_Pump Header.