cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen on startup after i tried the overclock option and it failed.

Loffah
Level 7
Hello guys, i got a black screen on bootup with my rog maxiumus VII formula motherboard after i tried to use the overclocking option that can be found in the bios. The issue is that i had a message coming up about the overclock failed and that i should go into bios and turn back the settings. I went into the bios, clicked the reset bios option and restart option but it seemed to try and overclock again, but this time with a black screen.
This is what i have tried :
i have tried to take out the power cable and press the switch on the PSU, to then hold the power button down for 30 seconds.
I have tried to hold down the CMOS button found back on my computer, as the battery itself is hidden behind some ****ty armor. ( taking everything apart to get the armor off is probably the last thing i'm trying before i give up)
I have tried to download the latest firmware onto a usb stick, to flash the motherboard. but the button that you are supposed to press for 5 seconds on the back on the motherboard while the stick is inside only blinked for a few seconds and then it just stayed green.

If we look inside the computer the led got the error code 99 which means Super IO Initialization . I'm not 100 % sure about the meaning of this error, but i believe that we are inside the bios with a blackscreen as my mouse and keyboard lights are on.
There is also a red light on the middle right side of the motherboard that i believe is the cpu led.
https://i.gyazo.com/5dd4dfc6b70020a5be4d7f38efd3b33a.png
I was unable to uploade a picture of the led lights meaning. But here is a link to a picture from the manual.

I would really appreciate if i could get any help with this. Please ask if there is something that i need to clear up.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi Loffah

Code 99 with no display is either the gpu, gpu pcie power cables are not connected, monitor cable or monitor. You could try connecting to the onboard graphics.

Try clearing the cmos again for good measure.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Loffah

Code 99 with no display is either the gpu, gpu pcie power cables are not connected, monitor cable or monitor. You could try connecting to the onboard graphics.

Try clearing the cmos again for good measure.

Hello, i just tried to clear the cmos again in this way : taking out the cable and pressing the switch, holding the power button down until all power was out of the system, and then i held down the clear cmos button on the back on the computer for about 5-10 seconds. Still no display sadly.

Is there some clear cmos pins on the motherboard as well ? It seems to excists according to some sources. Should i bother trying this ? I have not tried to plug my hdmi cable directly to the motherboard yet. I didn't think that one excisted to be honest.
I just purchased a gtx 1080 ti strix card.. It sucks if it is broken already...

Thanks for replying!

OKey so i plugged my hdmi directly into the motherboard and i am now able to see it.
If i'm going into the ''tool'' setting and clicks graphics card information there is nothing displayed. Is this a bad sign? There is light in the GPU....

hmmm, i'm back with a blackscreen even when screen is plugged into the motherboard directly. All i did was having a successfull update of the motherboard, but after the reboot i was back at square one.

Nate152
Try updating the bios again, it sounds like the bios flash wasn't successful.

Make sure your usb stick is formatted to .FAT32

After you've extracted the bios file to the usb stick rename the bios file to M7F.CAP

Insert the usb stick into the bios flashback port.

Press and hold the bios flashback button until it starts to blink, the blinking should slowly get faster then stop, once the blinking stops boot up your pc. It should take about 90 seconds to complete.

Also try another monitor cable.