Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Strix z270i] Unable to boot with 2x16GB 3200hz RAM

lobstrain
Level 7
Hi all,

My PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xvghwV

I am desperately looking for help here, as I've never had to mess with timings, voltage, etc. before, so this is all new to me.

I am able to boot when I use one stick of RAM, but I've tried several things to get my machine to boot with two to no avail. I've tried default settings, the XMP profile that's built-in, and manually setting different values based on research, but they all boot to either red or yellow LED. Here was my latest attempt:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92032-Asus-Strix-Z270i-Issues-Red-CPU-LED&p=656122&viewful...
These settings did not work for me either, but they still worked for a single stick. The sticks have been tested individually and both work just fine.

Even a general step by step guide of what to try would be helpful, I just don't want to keep having to do the same thing (changing settings, adding the stick back in, fail to boot, remove the stick) over and over without any real guidance. Thank you!
16 REPLIES 16

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Does your system post correctly with both sticks at stock speed (2133MHz)?

I've tried to boot the system with default BIOS settings with no success. I have not tried to manually set the speed to 2133. Should I set everything to default and then set that speed?

Chino
Level 15
I'm sure not what you've modified inside your BIOS up to this point. The best way to move forward is install both modules and clear your CMOS. Turn on your system and see if it POSTs correctly. We'll take it from there. 🙂

OK, I'll try that when I get home. Thanks.

Chino wrote:
Cool.

Report back your results when you can. 🙂

Ok, CMOS has been reset, currently booting with one stick.

Installed both, seems to boot, but only sees one of the sticks.

Nevermind, it wasn't seated properly. Does not boot with two sticks. Red LEAD, then yellow, the red, etc.

lobstrain wrote:
Nevermind, it wasn't seated properly. Does not boot with two sticks. Red LEAD, then yellow, the red, etc.

Try loosening the screws for your H100i a little.