cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

there was a strange problem with my hdd but its gone now

skellattarr
Level 10
last night I started my computer looked on this PC and all three of my HDD was not there just the SSD so i restarted a few times still no go then I turned the system off unplugged it for a minute then pluged it back in started it whent into the bios seen my drives there so i booted into windows and now all my drives are there. so what was the problem?
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case
3 REPLIES 3

davemon50
Level 11
Have you done anything yet, such as:
- unplug and reseat all SATA and power cables?
- run any available manufacturer's disk diagnostic software (from Toshiba)?
- checked for and installed any firmware updates for the drives?
- checked in Disk Management, does Explorer not show the drives but perhaps Disk Management shows disk numbers?
- checked to see if you have Windows power options allowing the drives to turn off?

Hopefully you've done a system backup before trying to do anything with the drives. Last time I had drives disappear in Windows it was because they were in the beginning stages of going bad. In that case, I also noticed that the system would hang for a while during bootup with no obvious cause. I realized that was the problem when I disconnected the drives and the boot problem disappeared simultaneously.
Davemon50

I have lost drives many times during POST, but after restarting machine has always found them and nothing has been wrong with them or BIOS. If that don't happen again, wouldn't worry about it too much although you should check your drives in case there's something wrong with any of them. And what I mean by checking, check if the SMART reports any errors, you can for example use freeware drive monitors which you can find by googling. I always have drive monitor running background which constantly checks SMART and warns me if there's something wrong.

skellattarr
Level 10
all is ok now that was weird I'll let you guys know if it happens again.
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case