cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting my case fans for GPU Temperature

kirkegaard
Level 7
Hi guys..

Build I new PC recently. Got a ROG IX Code. Started out with 2 MSI 1080ti aero. But hated the temperature in them, so just changed them for 2 MSI 1080ti sea Hawk X. I replaced the fans with the corsair's 120hd that I had in my case. And put both in the front of my corsair's 600c case.
Each of the fans is plugged in case fan 2 and 3. How can I set them to be controlled by the GPU temperature, now that they controlle the water cooler for my GPU's..?
Right now, I have them set for. Static 1200 rpm in my Asus fan suite.

Hope you can help, and a big thanks in advance:)
47 REPLIES 47

davemon50
Level 11
Hi kirk. If I understand you correctly (unclear a little, but I think you want to control your GPU cooling fans yourself?), personally I'd be a little bit hesitant to do what you want to do. If you had a custom water loop with a GPU water block your system could monitor the GPU entering and leaving water temperatures and control off of that. But since you have an AIO cooler with those graphics cards, those fans want to control based off the GPU temp and are designed with their own closed loop feedback. Unless you monitor that temp closely (and are sure of what you are getting), then you could potentially burn up the GPU by not ramping the fans up enough in your final profile. Also, GPU temps tend to rise and fall pretty quickly so you'd still need an aggressive fan curve.

I am guessing you want to do that to have more control over reducing fan noise? I can't think of any other reasons to do so. If this isn't what you are trying to achieve please re-post and explain a little clearer.

I think (?) the only way for you to achieve what you are trying to do is to use your motherboard's T-sensor1 header and run a temperature probe to your #1slot GPU and control the fans off of that in your system software (e.g. AI Suite Fan Expert). I suppose you could place that probe directly on the GPU if you opened it up (not recommended IMO) or just surface-mount the probe on top the card near its location. You would need a period of testing and balancing to determine what temperatures off the probe match the temps you suspect at the GPU and adjust the fan profile based upon that.

As a side note, I am doing exactly that, sending a temp probe to my #1 GPU surface to monitor temp there and control fan speeds. But it isn't a critical control loop like you're messing with, mine is just an override to ramp up my case fans if things are heating up a bit more than the CPU. My GPU isn't going to burn up on me, it's internal fans take care of it. 😉
Davemon50

Hey.. thanks for your very thorough reply..
We are almost on the same page. The thing about the sea Hawk x water cooling fans, is that, they aren't controlled by the GPU.. you just plug them in the motherboard and then they run with everything else. It's only the fans on the GPU itself thats controlled by the GPU.. I don't want to control my fans. I want the GPU temperature to do it.. so it would run all by itself.. so I had hoped, in the bios or something, where you set the q fans. That you could change the input temperature from CPU to GPU. But sounds like I have to go your way with an external monitor:)

So sum up.

The onboard fan, that cools my cram is fine. Controlled by the card as 9t should.
The water block fans for the GPU. Is controlled by the CPU, since they get power and Info from case fan 2 and 3. (4 pin connector) and there for change there speed accordingly the CPU temperature. And those I want to be controlled by the GPU instead..

Does it make more sense now? Fan noise etc I don't care that much about. I just wanna be sure the fans runs accordingly to the GPU temperature, since it's that they are cooling 😉

davemon50
Level 11
As long as you can get GPU temp that's accurate then yes you can do that, and you don't have to sacrifice CPU temp control either. Asus Fan Expert allows you, and BTW also in the BIOS through Q-Fan control, to control off the most critical of three inputs, so you could add CPU and GPU as two inputs and see if that works for you. At least it does for my board RVE10. I'm using 3 inputs; CPU, motherboard, and Tsensor1 which like I said above is surface temp of the #1 slot graphics. Seems to be working fine for me. The GPU fans are controlling on their own to cool it, but my case fans ramp up whenever the GPU overtakes the CPU temp, just to provide more case airflow. Make sure your GPU temp is reporting honestly. Others have reported sometimes they don't like using the AI Suite for their fan control but I've had some success with it, and I've customized my fan profile within it instead of using the stock profiles, it's doing what it's supposed to do.
Davemon50

Why on God's green earth can't Fan Expert 4 simply take the GPU temps from the card as a source of control for the fans? My brand new EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 has 9 freaking thermal sensors on it and not a single one is offered as a source for fan control in Fan Xpert 4.

GPU-Z has no problem reading those Nine sensors.
HWmonitor has no problem reading those Nine sensors.
Afterburner has no prblem reading GPU temps, etc., etc., etc.
I've read SpeedFan can control from GPU.

So what is Fan Xpert 4's problem? Why is GPU temp. not an option as a source for fan control? I can think on no reason whatsoever for Asus to not have this implemented by now.

I guess I'll be forced to disable Fan Xpert 4 and start using SpeedFan...

chiilin
Level 10
Well I went ahead an bought a 2-pin wire thermocouple sensor to attach to the T-sensor header on my Maximus IX Code mother board; despite my protest that this should in no way be necessary in order to control case fans based upon GPU temperatures, given that there are already NINE (9) sensors installed on the card by the factory (and now there will be TEN! ;)).

But I digress. The question now is, where exactly is the best place to mount this sensor? I'm thinking to stick it on the back of the card with a small piece of electrical tape directly opposite of the GPU.

Any one else have any suggestions on where to put it?

davemon50
Level 11
That's exactly where I put mine. It seems to work fine.

Here's a small sidebar, just an idea:
If you don't mind running Unigine Superposition to benchmark your video card, it displays the GPU temperature the whole time during the process. The GPU temp changes a lot during it so you can get a good range of temperatures to monitor. So if I were you I would put my thermocouple on the video card where you think it's best, then "calibrate the location" of the sensor by opening up AI Suite to monitor the reported temperature of the T-Sensor at the same time as you are monitoring the reported temperature by the benchmarking software. 😉 If you're going to control fans, etc, with this T-Sensor then that would be the best....IMO.
Davemon50

chiilin
Level 10
By pure coincidence, I actually just now ran Superposition to see if I could get an increase with my GPU fans maxed out instead of behaving on curves, and I did get a little higher benchmark:

So did you use electrical tape to stick the sensor on with? I'm considering trying a dab of RapidFix, a UV activated Liquid Plastic Adhesive, but I don't know how much heat it can withstand. I'm thinking it would work though, and it's plastic, so nonconductive.

davemon50
Level 11
I did not use it. I bent the sensor wire so that it rests firmly on the location I want it. It may be affected by air passing over the top of it however. I didn't want the leftover effect of that gooey glue that electrical tape leaves on things after it's been there a while, in case I wanted to move the sensor.
Davemon50

chiilin
Level 10
That's exactly why I'm leary of using electrical tape as well. So are you saying you didn't use anything to attach it other than bending it and "sticking" it inside a slot or hole or something on the back of the card? In other words, it's just mechanically connected by friction/ gravity or what have you?