cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a CPU cause random shutdowns or its the motherboard?

Georges
Level 7
Is it possible a dying Cpu can cause random shutdowns or a motherboard?
13 REPLIES 13

haihane
Level 13
Possibly?
Yes.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Georges
Level 7
Is there any way to check if my CPU or Motherboard causing these random shutdowns?

hmmm. Anything can random shutdowns really. Multiple potential suspects. Could be the CPU, Could be the Motherboard, Bad bios settings, Memory even just a very nasty driver. A common cause for a slightly older system to suddenly shutdown without explenation is if the cooler is clogged resulting in a component overheating and shutting down the system to protect itself. so you may want to check that.

If not that here are some pointers:

To help find out the cause there are multiple sources. Here are a few i normally go through.
1) If you got a gaming/high-end motherboard it probably has a POST display that might tell you something (Nearly all ROG have it).
2) Windows keeps a log on any system even. If you go to Configuration->Administrative tools->Event viewer (or just look up "event viewer" in the start menu on newer windows) and inside that navigate to the Windows logs -> System you can see every logged System event. If a fatal error causes Windows to shutdown or anything it will be recorded here. Look for ERROR entries around the time it happened. might give a clue.
3) You can use programs to find instability.

If you want to find instability the idea is to use stress/diag tests. Something i always run after getting new components to make sure it is all in tiptop shape and no defectives sneaked into my system. Here are my choices for free tools:
-For overall stability Prime95 is popular. It can stress test CPU, Memory and Motherboard.
-For Graphics card Furmark is a good choice. it will stress the gpu to the max.
-For thorough Memory testing (finding defects) i use MemTest86. It is a small testing program that you put on a USB drive and then boot up to. It will test every memory address for bad blocks

Hope this helps a little.

haihane
Level 13
yes.
i only know of one method though: process of elimination.

say, in a given system, any parts failing could cause a system malfunction, right?
but you've narrowed it down to two parts, that makes things much easier.

either CPU and/or Mobo. (hopefully not both)
opinion: CPU isn't likely to break though, at least not with LGA based Intel CPUs (if it's still PGA, one bent pin = a whole world of headache to try to straighten it out and hope for the best that it works). but regardless, it could still break.

next thing you should do is take a replacement part, put it in (CPU first maybe, since it's easier), test it out. if it hangs -> maybe the problem is on the Mobo.
take a spare mobo (known to be working well), reassemble system, test it again. if it works flawlessly, then you've just isolated the problematic part.

haihane
Level 13
but eh, most of the time, it's just improper seating. (one known cause).

maybe try taking everything out first, clean 'em properly, reapply thermal paste, check visually that nothing's out of order, then reseat all the parts.
and try again.

or maybe check BIOS Config,
or maybe retry with clean windows install. damn these things, troubleshooting can be a pain because of that. probably even software corruption.
i'd start troubleshooting with the least expensive option (using manlabor to check anything that i can check without spending money on parts first).

Georges
Level 7
After the diagnostics i was able to make im sure its CPU or Motherboard (Rampage IV EXTREME) causing that random shutdowns. The thing is i dont have any spare Cpu or Motherboard to try. I was ready to buy a used Rampage IV Black edition or Sabertooth x79 but if its the CPU???
Thanks for your time

haihane
Level 13
ebay? try to scout for a cheap CPU that you can afford,
or

local computer repair store that you can trust. tell them your findings, but be skeptical if they try to sell you "more parts are broken" cliches. if at all possible, rent and/or loan a cpu on spot to make sure.

Zka17
Level 16
The most common reasons for random shutdowns are OC (BIOS settings) and PSU.
The diagnostics for OC is to reset to default and try it, maybe run some stress tests.
For the PSU, first make sure that all the connections are properly seated. The next would be to test/swap your CPU.
Either way check your Windows Event logs...
I would't recommend taking apart the system until these are not done...

If you post all the details of your system, there is a higher chance that people here could spot something...

Georges
Level 7
The thing is that i cant test CPU or Motherboard until i buy one . Even in default settings turns off randomly