cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Ideal" CPU and GPU Temperature

XGZiDeus
Level 9
Hello ROG

As the title says, what is the ideal temperature of your CPU and GPU both idle and under stress? I gather GPU's can handle more heat. If it reaches 80 degrees C it's nothing to be alarmed about while CPU temperature should always be under 50 degrees C. Is this information accurate?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

panzlock
Level 12
i7-6700K 4.0Ghz - 4.2 Ghz Boost idle temps are 29C to 30C. Under load they're between 50C and 55C. Prime95 stress test temps were 65C at their highest. All this at 1.232V. This is using a Deepcool Lucifer V2 air cooler. When stressed at a 4.6Ghz overclock temps rose to 70C max at 1.325V.

ASUS ROG Strix 1070 O8G idle temps are between 33C and 39C depending on ambient. Under typical gaming load in 1080p the highest temps I get are 55C to 59C with the fan curve always between 27% and 33%. Highest fan RPM's were about 1200 and it's inaudible when compared to chassis fans.

The above specs are where I like my component temperatures to be to ensure longevity. Unlike some I tend to squeeze every drop from my equipment as opposed to changing components when something with more horsepower is released so I tend to take it easy or ensure adequate cooling. Despite specified thresholds by manufacturers the cooler the components are the more likely their life cycle is increased. Ideally you want to keep temps of CPU and GPU under 80C.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
i7-6700K 4.0Ghz - 4.2 Ghz Boost idle temps are 29C to 30C. Under load they're between 50C and 55C. Prime95 stress test temps were 65C at their highest. All this at 1.232V. This is using a Deepcool Lucifer V2 air cooler. When stressed at a 4.6Ghz overclock temps rose to 70C max at 1.325V.

ASUS ROG Strix 1070 O8G idle temps are between 33C and 39C depending on ambient. Under typical gaming load in 1080p the highest temps I get are 55C to 59C with the fan curve always between 27% and 33%. Highest fan RPM's were about 1200 and it's inaudible when compared to chassis fans.

The above specs are where I like my component temperatures to be to ensure longevity. Unlike some I tend to squeeze every drop from my equipment as opposed to changing components when something with more horsepower is released so I tend to take it easy or ensure adequate cooling. Despite specified thresholds by manufacturers the cooler the components are the more likely their life cycle is increased. Ideally you want to keep temps of CPU and GPU under 80C.

TY for this wealth of info. Appreciated bigtime! My specs aren't really that different on the stated example you gave, so I'll tread around these numbers. Here's what I got:

I also prefer longevity of my device and not operate on full throttle unless I really have to. Just the right balance of power and performance.

Found this

Just an added FYI