cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashes and minor question beta bios

Nighter3D
Level 7
So ive been having some trouble. A little while ago. My system would get a black screen and then few seconds later fully crash with my motherboard giving a post code of 8 and the DRAM qled blinking. It is so abrupt windows doesn't even have a Event on it in the system logs. The issue seemed to be rather random and only success i had in trying to reprodruce (albeit rarely) is through GPU stability tests.

Out of desperations i have updated my bios to the 1401 beta and the motherboard no longer crashes, however my GPU does. i still get the black screen, but it no longer causes my entire system to crash, just black screen that remain with windows event saying the nvidia driver "succesfully" restarted itself after it ceased responding. Manually restarting the driver through win+ctrl+shift+B does not help.

Am i right in pointing the finger at my GPU in this case? It is a GTX760 that has been in my system for 4 years so maybe this are symptoms of it failing? Would really suck cause ive been holding out for the upcoming Vega release of AMD and because it is close to impossible to find any decent current GPU cause of that Cryptocurrency rush.

Also correct that while i have a Beta the bios will reject older versions? Can't roll back to 1201 to further test, Older bioses are now seen "Invalid" by the bios and AI suite. Do i have to use the Flashback function if i need to roll-back??
4 REPLIES 4

Raja
Level 13
Probably an idea to supply the following info:

1) Whether the system is overclocked.
2) Whether this is a fresh operating system install.

Yes, use the USB flashback feature to roll back to older builds (assuming you need to).

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Probably an idea to supply the following info:

1) Whether the system is overclocked.
2) Whether this is a fresh operating system install.

Yes, use the USB flashback feature to roll back to older builds (assuming you need to).

1) No system is not overclocked in any capacity
2) OS is still pretty fresh, less than 2 months operational.

Nighter3D wrote:
1) No system is not overclocked in any capacity
2) OS is still pretty fresh, less than 2 months operational.

So the memory frequency is set to DDR4-2133 or DDR4-3200? Asking because some people think memory running over DDR4-2133 implies no overclocking.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
So the memory frequency is set to DDR4-2133 or DDR4-3200? Asking because some people think memory running over DDR4-2133 implies no overclocking.

Default-SPD settings so 2133. haven't had much success getting to rated 3200 (max i can reach is 2966) and due to dealing with something bugging my system i kept it running at default speed just in case. Im not new to this. been using and tweaking rog motherboards since the original Maximus formula. Man i loved that board 🙂

nothing shows that memory is at fault as far as i can tell. passes memtest over and over without a hitch and stressing with say Prime95 isn't causing any instability.

the only real hint i have is that the nvidia driver stopped responding and claims to have succesfuly restarted (which it hasn't) whenever the issue pops up. so im inclined to believe it's the gpu and/or it's driver.

UPDATE: Tried a different GPU. A AMD one instead of nvidia. went a thorough cleanup of my system. Issue did not go away and instead returned to original 8 + Dram blinking. This time it was triggered when i started a 3Dmark benchmark

So... i need help!!