cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first time ever trying to change Ram speeds, advice?

TREofWar
Level 7
I have the crosshair hero vi, amd ryzen 7 1800x, and CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200, gtx 1080 ti ftw3, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 PSU, SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB with windows and my programs on it, and a 2 TB SSHD
i menion all of this just in case it will help you guys answer my question

when i first installed everything i tried to force my vengeance 3200 ram to 3200 w/out updating the bios.. it would not post.. i had to hit the Clear Cmos switch on the back of the MB.. on the IO

my question is.. NOW that i Have updated the chipset and bios and try to put it up to 3200 and if it does not post.. if i hit CMOS RESET will it reset everything in the bios? like will i have to update the firmware on the bios again? or will it just reset the change I made to the ram? I want to attempt to get my ram running faster, right now i think its running @ 2129 which is way lower than I would like
under cpu z it says dram freq 1064.5
fsb:dram 3:32
15/15/15/36/ 51
command rate 1T

what is the best way to go about trying to up it to 3200? if it does not post after making a change what is the best way to get it to post again? the clear cmos button again?
i ask this cause I know there are buttons on the actual MB like reset, start etc... should i use those if it does not post?
I really want to make sure im doing it right before i try it again

any tips on getting it up to speed would be much appreciated.. i should also mention that the CPU is water cooled and playing bf1 @ 1440P on ultra the highest I have seen my GPU or CPU get is around 60 degrees C
I have looked through the forum for an answer, but i didnt find anything that directly answered what i want to know..
thanx for the help in advance.. i
4 REPLIES 4

TREofWar
Level 7
anyone? i just want to know what i should do if I change the speed in the bios and it does not start.. do i hit reset on the inside of the pc on the mb? or do I hit clear cmos? cause the first time i tried to change it, it wouldnt post at all.. just a black screen and i had to hit clear cmos, but now that i have made other changes in the bios i dont want to revert them all back to default is that what clear cmos will do?

tommiboi
Level 7
just clear CMOS. aka remove battery. But overclocking memory is hard and you should really read some guides first to attempt a ram overclock. O never use T1 its asking for problems. Not going to explain why. Just go read or watch some guides.

or just sell your ram now ! and buy some faster ram to get it all done.

not sure.. if this will stick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

tommiboi wrote:
just clear CMOS. aka remove battery. But overclocking memory is hard and you should really read some guides first to attempt a ram overclock. O never use T1 its asking for problems. Not going to explain why. Just go read or watch some guides.

or just sell your ram now ! and buy some faster ram to get it all done.

not sure.. if this will stick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk

thats the thing tho.. its not technically overclocking my ram is it? cause its runing at 2129 and the ram is 3200.. i just want it to run at stock... there is something like DOCP which is overclocking profiles which should automatically change all the settings correctly.. should I try that? there is also a menu under that to change the memory freq thats what I tried the first time and it wouldnt post.. but that was before updating the bios

and you dont have to remove the battery on this board.. there is a clear cmos switch on the back of the MB.. im just wondering if its best to use that switch.. or the RESET button on the inside on the MB itself

has anyone had any luck with the crosshair hero VI getting their Corsair Vengeance 3200 ram running at 3200?

TREofWar wrote:
thats the thing tho.. its not technically overclocking my ram is it? cause its runing at 2129 and the ram is 3200.. i just want it to run at stock... there is something like DOCP which is overclocking profiles which should automatically change all the settings correctly.. should I try that? there is also a menu under that to change the memory freq thats what I tried the first time and it wouldnt post.. but that was before updating the bios

and you dont have to remove the battery on this board.. there is a clear cmos switch on the back of the MB.. im just wondering if its best to use that switch.. or the RESET button on the inside on the MB itself

has anyone had any luck with the crosshair hero VI getting their Corsair Vengeance 3200 ram running at 3200?

anyone interested.. i was able to get the ram to 3200 easily.. i just had to update the bios to the newest, and booted into the bios and did the overclock profile DOCP standard.. it booted right up and is 3200 and has the same timings i had before