Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by no1yak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo87 View Post
    Yeah, but its not a problem until it is. And when it is, it's a huge problem.
    How would you know that so called problem was related to this coding error. Yet another knee jerk reaction to something that you would never have known about unless (I've got nothing else better to do than run some codes through the CPU and see if I can brake it geeks) come up with.

Have you or anyone you know had problems relating to this and would you know even if you had.

I would be more concerned about the lack of response relating to the problems some people are having with Bios version 0906.
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying. It's not a "knee jerk" reaction if the bug exists. Intel can only say what circumstances will cause the bug to occur. It can't say what code exists that can cause the bug to occur.

Any time a CPU can produce invalid results, as is the case with this bug, it's a huge issue. There are many many applications where data integrity is critical. This bug allows for register level corruption/misuse. For those who know how the x86 architecture works, it's a massive, fundamental flaw that is about as bad as a flaw can be.

It may be true that it doesn't occur very often in the wild. It may also be true that it occurs and people haven't noticed. Who cares if a pixel of grandma's photo turns out wrong. But it sure matters if you're doing bitcoin mining, financial analysis, medical research, medical treatment, military applications... the list goes on and on.

Additionally, it is possible to write code that runs in 2 threads on single hyper-threaded core that can crash a system. It may be possible to write code to arbitrarily read or write from memory. If that's true, then the entire system can be compromised.

Intel isn't going to want to discuss what this bug is. This is bigger than the FP bug in its implications.
    Last edited by Groo87; 06-28-2017 at 03:44 AM. Reason: typo

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AKBAAR PC Specs
    AKBAAR PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus Impact VIII
    ProcessorIntel i7-6700k @ 4.6Ghz
    Memory (part number)TridentZ 3200C14 - 32GTZ 32GB
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    MonitorDELL U3014
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i GT
    CaseCorsair 250D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX760i
    Keyboard Corsair k70-rgb
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 100
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC5300

mine is the latest Microcode already thank god. BA version is latest

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    ASUS is hardly perfect but there's little need to malign them over this bug.

They will get around to deploying the fix (in BIOS). After Intel has actually implemented the fix.

Intel built the bug, discovered the bug, documented the bug, reported the bug. Intel is the only company in any reasonable position to correct it. Intel is actually liable for damages and suffers dismal advertising (in this time of AMD's re-ascendance!) until the bug is corrected. ASUS engineers assuredly know lots of juicy secret stuff about Intel's tech (they might even know a few things that Intel doesn't!) ... but ASUS engineers do not at all know how to build an Intel CPU as well as Intel engineers do. We all have to wait for Intel to figure it out. Angry demands are thus best directed towards Intel, not ASUS, lol.
    "Discovered the bug"? That's not the history that is being told:

- https://www.reddit.com/r/ocaml/comme...microcode_bug/

"We" discovered the bug, because it was causing real world issues! Look, code produced by a given compiler triggers the problem while for other it doesn't, because it happens to access registers in some given way!

After this was discovered, as was reported in the debian mailing list, Intel came up which what looked like a patch to the issue I don't know how much amount of time later and didn't care to tell anyone it was to address that problem that the OCaml developers uncovered.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by pepper_chico View Post
    "Discovered the bug"? That's not the history that is being told:

- https://www.reddit.com/r/ocaml/comme...microcode_bug/

"We" discovered the bug, because it was causing real world issues! Look, code produced by a given compiler triggers the problem while for other it doesn't, because it happens to access registers in some given way!

After this was discovered, as was reported in the debian mailing list, Intel came up which what looked like a patch to the issue I don't know how much amount of time later and didn't care to tell anyone it was to address that problem that the OCaml developers uncovered.
    The issue was seen as soon as early 2016 by a compiler team. They weren't able to identify that it was a product bug until 2017 some time. They contacted intel about it sometime in 2016 initially, as they could not explain what they were seeing. Intel never acknowledged the issue to them, but quietly patched it in April. The compiler team found on their own that the microCode patch issued in April fixed their issue.

The problem can be easily reproduced at will on unpatched (non-updated microcode), hyperthreading enabled systems.

ROG Enthusiast Array Leoplate25 PC Specs
    Leoplate25 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus Hero XI WiFi
    Processori5-9600k
    Memory (part number)CMU16GX4M2C3000C15
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 840 240gb
    Storage #2Samsung EVO 860 1tb
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i v2
    CaseThermaltake Versa H34
    Power SupplyBitFenix Whisper M 750w
    Keyboard ASUS Cerberus
    Mouse ASUS Cerberus
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Smile Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Links View Post
    I would set it to adaptive.
    Cuz 1.2 is your peak voltage and it's not needed all the time, only under load.
    Adaptive mode will drop Vcore if your CPU is not working hard enough.
    This will provide a bit lower CPU temps.

But with manual mode it'll work just fine too.

P.S remember to use balanced power plan (windows- > control panel) if you are using adaptive mode.
    Thanks for your reply! I'll leave it on adaptive mode.

ex-ASUS Employee Array Eleiyas PC Specs
    Eleiyas PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA
    ProcessorAMD FX 8370
    Memory (part number)Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card #1XFX AMD Radeon HD 6950 - 2G
    MonitorLG Flatron E2240T 21.5'' 1080p Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 1TB 7200RPM 32MB
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64MB 6GB/s
    CPU CoolerAMD Wraith Cooler
    CaseNZXT Lexa S
    Power SupplyCorsair CX600 600W (Bronze)
    Keyboard Logitech Wireless AZERTY
    Mouse Microsoft Wireless
    Headset Evil Witchcraft II Gaming Headset (Black/Red)
    Mouse Pad Wild Wolf Hunter
    Headset/Speakers 4Gamers 2.1 Sound-System
    OS Windows 10 Professional - Creator's
    Network RouterZiggo

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    ASUS is hardly perfect but there's little need to malign them over this bug.

They will get around to deploying the fix (in BIOS). After Intel has actually implemented the fix.

Intel built the bug, discovered the bug, documented the bug, reported the bug. Intel is the only company in any reasonable position to correct it. Intel is actually liable for damages and suffers dismal advertising (in this time of AMD's re-ascendance!) until the bug is corrected. ASUS engineers assuredly know lots of juicy secret stuff about Intel's tech (they might even know a few things that Intel doesn't!) ... but ASUS engineers do not at all know how to build an Intel CPU as well as Intel engineers do. We all have to wait for Intel to figure it out. Angry demands are thus best directed towards Intel, not ASUS, lol.
    Thank you for saying this

Our tech guys very likely know about this issue and are working to fix it, along with other issues; however, like I said in a different thread, patience is a virtue. They will want something to give you guys that is of good quality. Not a beta bios that fixes one thing and breaks 30 others.

It just takes a lot of time to do these types of things

ex-ASUS Employee Array Eleiyas PC Specs
    Eleiyas PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA
    ProcessorAMD FX 8370
    Memory (part number)Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card #1XFX AMD Radeon HD 6950 - 2G
    MonitorLG Flatron E2240T 21.5'' 1080p Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 1TB 7200RPM 32MB
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64MB 6GB/s
    CPU CoolerAMD Wraith Cooler
    CaseNZXT Lexa S
    Power SupplyCorsair CX600 600W (Bronze)
    Keyboard Logitech Wireless AZERTY
    Mouse Microsoft Wireless
    Headset Evil Witchcraft II Gaming Headset (Black/Red)
    Mouse Pad Wild Wolf Hunter
    Headset/Speakers 4Gamers 2.1 Sound-System
    OS Windows 10 Professional - Creator's
    Network RouterZiggo

-- ALL 3 OF THE THREADS BASED ON THIS ISSUE HAVE BEEN MERGED INTO ONE THREAD --

Please refrain from making any new threads on this topic

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Groo87 View Post
    The issue was seen as soon as early 2016 by a compiler team. They weren't able to identify that it was a product bug until 2017 some time. They contacted intel about it sometime in 2016 initially, as they could not explain what they were seeing. Intel never acknowledged the issue to them, but quietly patched it in April. The compiler team found on their own that the microCode patch issued in April fixed their issue.

The problem can be easily reproduced at will on unpatched (non-updated microcode), hyperthreading enabled systems.
    Links to reliable sources? Otherwise, this could be just hearsay.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by AKBAAR View Post
    mine is the latest Microcode already thank god. BA version is latest
    Yeah, deploying BA using UBU 1.69 is a piece of cake. Only glitch is having to copy MMTool from a previous UBU version or elsewhere. AMI balked about distributing their program as a UBU component.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AKBAAR PC Specs
    AKBAAR PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus Impact VIII
    ProcessorIntel i7-6700k @ 4.6Ghz
    Memory (part number)TridentZ 3200C14 - 32GTZ 32GB
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    MonitorDELL U3014
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i GT
    CaseCorsair 250D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX760i
    Keyboard Corsair k70-rgb
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 100
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC5300

Quote Originally Posted by eldata View Post
    Yeah, deploying BA using UBU 1.69 is a piece of cake. Only glitch is having to copy MMTool from a previous UBU version or elsewhere. AMI balked about distributing their program as a UBU component.
    Yep , problem solved! easy peasy

oh aslo!!! here is a treat for you guys
    UBU is featured in Germanys biggest IT News mag: https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...e-3755660.html

I had the latest Micrcode for my CPU months ago before even this bug was a thing or arised and noticed anywhere!! thanks to UBU ! i keep my CPU microcode upto date !!

Get your CPU Microcode updated through here, Hassle free app
    http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool...-quot-UBU.html
    Last edited by AKBAAR; 06-28-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast