cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[URGENT SUPPORT REQUIRED] PC reboot when installing driver of ESSENCE STX II

paulguru
Level 7
Hi guy

I change my PC with an Asus X370 Pro + Ryzen 1700x.
PC run great, but i cant use my Asus Essence STX II, i pluged it and into devices manager i can see it, but when i try to install the drivers or try to update the driver the PC reboot automatically without reason.

What is this ?

- I tryed to remove and reinstall the card into the PCI-ex
- I checked if the power cable was correctly plugged
- I tryed to format the Windows and try to install Essence driver first at all but same problem ..... i run the setup of driver and .... instant restart !
-If i go into devices manager and try to install driver manually, same thing.

HELP PLEASE !
155 REPLIES 155

x7007
Level 7
paulguru wrote:
Hi guy

I change my PC with an Asus X370 Pro + Ryzen 1700x.
PC run great, but i cant use my Asus Essence STX II, i pluged it and into devices manager i can see it, but when i try to install the drivers or try to update the driver the PC reboot automatically without reason.

What is this ?

- I tryed to remove and reinstall the card into the PCI-ex
- I checked if the power cable was correctly plugged
- I tryed to format the Windows and try to install Essence driver first at all but same problem ..... i run the setup of driver and .... instant restart !
-If i go into devices manager and try to install driver manually, same thing.

HELP PLEASE !

Hi, I'll try to help, I have no experience with the Essence drivers nor the Ryzen platform.

Which drivers do you try to install ? is it windows 10 supported ?

First go to the Windows Startup and Recovery

Right Click on This PC > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab >Startup and Recovery 3rd option Settings > Deselect Automatically Restart

Second, Use Event Viewer Right Click on Start > Event Viewer and search in Custom Viewes > Administrative Events any logs that has to do with the sound card , go one by one and copy paste here including screenshot would help.

or a program like http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview-x64.zip to see if it's really a system crash and what caused it.

Do you have any Antivirus installed or any running software ?

Heini
Level 11
Where are you getting the drivers from? I'm using the unified drivers from HERE for my STX II and have had no problems.

Im using this driver
The same i used previously without problem but in other config :

https://www.asus.com/it/Sound-Cards/Essence_STX_II/HelpDesk_Download/

I select the Windows 10 x64 as OS and there are only 1 old driver for Windows 10 ( version 8.1.11.5 of 2015 )

I have Defender as antivirus.

do you ignore me ?

Eleiyas
Level 10
When you say instant restart, does it keep bootlooping or something?

Or does it start installing drivers, then restart?

Hello,

i have exactly the same problem with my Asus Essence STX ii.
I build a completly new PC, but it just reboots when i try to install the driver for the soundcard.
As Eleiyas@ASUS said, sometimes my pc keeps rebooting when i'm in the middle of the installation process.

Sometimes i get through the installation process but when i look into the device manager it says, that the driver signature is not valid.
When i boot my pc without driver signatures, it just reboots in the exact moment the driver communicates with the soundcard (indicated by the "click" sound).

I have this problem for 2 weeks now and i almost tried everything to get this fixed but nothing works. I am really despairing 😞
The soundcard is still working, i have tested it in another system.

I also have a Ryzen System (full specs below), could the driver problem be related to the new Ryzen architecture?
Maybe someone at Asus should test this.

Also, below the xml data from the windows event viewer of the crash:

-

0x8000400000000002

System
DESKTOP-IVJUL4M

-
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
false
true

System specs:

Windows 10 Pro (64bit)
Ryzen 1700 (OC)
16GB RAM
AsRock x370 Killer SLI
GTX 1080
M.2 SSD 250GB
Antivirus: Windows Defender

Hi,

I can confirm this issue for my setup as well.

Asus X370 Prime Pro (BIOS 0805) with Ryzen 1700x and Asus Essence STX II. Windows 10 x64, latest updates. It started to happen about 2 months ago, before it was stable all the time. It doesn't matter if the system is overclocked or running at stock/default BIOS settings. Disabling AV/Firewall shows no effect.

The issue happens when I try to switch the output on the sound card (when the relay is clicking), e.g. from speakers to headphone. It is not a soft reboot but a reset of the computer in the moment when the relay is clicking. It does not happen everytime (what is quite strange) but probably in 90% of the cases. I completely removed the driver and the software and tried a reinstall with the official Asus drivers but also the Uni Xonar drivers. Both installations were failing for quite some time (rebooting every time) until it finally worked all of a sudden (now back on the official Asus drivers). I was already happy and hoping that it is resolved now but just today it happened again and I can't really figure out what's going on.

Please support us with this matter!

Regards
Cool McCool

Edit: I found a similar issue in the MSI forum (here related to an Intel X99 platform). They claim it yould be related to an incompatibility between the Asus Essence STX and the nVidia Drivers. I am also using a nVidia card (GTX 1070) as well as the person the posted right before me. Would be interesting to know, if the OP also uses nVidia but in general, it sounds as this could be worth investigating. If there's really an incompatibility, I expect it could be fixed in a new driver release?

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=269951.0

No response from anyone? I thought this is the official ASUS support forum!? :confused:

I have the same exact problem.

My Xonar Essence STX II won't work with my new Ryzen build.

The PC boots into Windows just fine, but as soon as I try to install the STX II drivers my system ends up just rebooting. It happens the exact moment I hear the mechanical clacking from the sound card. Then my system gets stuck in a loop, trying to boot, until I fire up safe mode and remove the Essence drivers again. I double and triple checked if the molex power cable is properly connected to the card and made sure repeatedly that onboard audio is disabled... still the same problem. I have a mindump file of the crash when I installed it, would that help anyone?

The card was working just fine for +1 year, and still does, in my old system.

My specs

Antivirus: Windows Defender
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600
Mainboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS (BIOS Version 0805)
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 380
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000
HDD: 500GB Samsung M2 and two Crucial SATA SSDs
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX II (without 7.1 Extension card)
PSU: Seasonic G-550 Watt Gold

I think we can rule out nvidia gpus and a specific mainboard model being the problem because I have a different setup from you guys but the exact same problem. And I seriously doubt any of my other hardware is at fault here but I still listed every detail just to be sure.

Is there some way to directly contact someone in Asus tech department to look at this? They must have some Essence STX cards flying around to test with a Ryzen setup. I just want to know if there are people out there who have a working Ryzen + STX II build.

Why you do this to me Asus, I just want to listen to some music 😞