Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by STXDude View Post
    I have the same exact problem.

My Xonar Essence STX II won't work with my new Ryzen build.

The PC boots into Windows just fine, but as soon as I try to install the STX II drivers my system ends up just rebooting. It happens the exact moment I hear the mechanical clacking from the sound card. Then my system gets stuck in a loop, trying to boot, until I fire up safe mode and remove the Essence drivers again. I double and triple checked if the molex power cable is properly connected to the card and made sure repeatedly that onboard audio is disabled... still the same problem. I have a mindump file of the crash when I installed it, would that help anyone?

The card was working just fine for +1 year, and still does, in my old system.

My specs

Antivirus: Windows Defender
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600
    Mainboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS (BIOS Version 0805)
    GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 380
    Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000
    HDD: 500GB Samsung M2 and two Crucial SATA SSDs
    Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX II (without 7.1 Extension card)
    PSU: Seasonic G-550 Watt Gold

I think we can rule out nvidia gpus and a specific mainboard model being the problem because I have a different setup from you guys but the exact same problem. And I seriously doubt any of my other hardware is at fault here but I still listed every detail just to be sure.

Is there some way to directly contact someone in Asus tech department to look at this? They must have some Essence STX cards flying around to test with a Ryzen setup. I just want to know if there are people out there who have a working Ryzen + STX II build.

Why you do this to me Asus, I just want to listen to some music

Sadly it's not just you

http://boards.4chan.org/g/thread/61732128

it seems this card has compatibility issues , not sure if it's Windows compatibility or the drivers, doesn't seem like it's Ryzen or motherboard issue.

You might have to buy new sound card if you are going to use Windows 10 .. you could try windows 7 or 8.1 and see if it works there , but Windows 7 won't support ryzen if I remember. as I said again, it's needed new card or search every where in the internet for a fix. Don't know if asus will release new drivers

Also try the unified drivers of daniels if you haven't. and reset bios or update motherboard firmware.
    Last edited by x7007; 08-09-2017 at 12:32 PM.

New ROGer Array

It is hard to imagine that ASUS is not going to investigate this issue and fix it somehow. If they don't, this definitely is a reason to turn my back on them and select other vendors in the future (after 20+ years). I mean, we are talking about their flagship hi-fi sound card that is still being sold. Can't believe this is gonna happen...

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
    Sadly it's not just you

http://boards.4chan.org/g/thread/61732128

it seems this card has compatibility issues , not sure if it's Windows compatibility or the drivers, doesn't seem like it's Ryzen or motherboard issue.

You might have to buy new sound card if you are going to use Windows 10 .. you could try windows 7 or 8.1 and see if it works there , but Windows 7 won't support ryzen if I remember. as I said again, it's needed new card or search every where in the internet for a fix. Don't know if asus will release new drivers

Also try the unified drivers of daniels if you haven't. and reset bios or update motherboard firmware.
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

I haven't had much time to troubleshoot yet and seeing one guy here trying to fix it for two weeks was pretty disheartening. I'll give it another shot this weekend.

I have to admit that I have yet to try the unified drivers. I'll also dig around the bios and check if there are any settings I might've missed. I'll also try to use my second empty pcie slot and see if that makes a difference.

The card worked fine with Windows 10 on my old machine by the way so I really doubt it's just Windows giving me trouble now.

New ROGer Array kyovlodik PC Specs
    kyovlodik PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1700
    Memory (part number)CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
    Sound CardASUS Essence STX II
    MonitorASUS VG248QE
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO
    CaseCorsair Obsidian Series 750D
    Keyboard Razer DeathStalker
    Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
    Headset/Speakers Sennheiser HD 650
    OS Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB

Angry What the hell, ASUS?

Created an account to specifically report I'm having this issue as well. I upgraded from an ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 to the ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO coupled with a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU, both systems running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. The Essence STX II worked without a single issue on the X58, but as others have stated, the drivers get about half-way with my BRAND NEW setup, you can hear the the auxiliary power click-on for the sound card, resulting in an instantaneous reboot. I've tried various types of drivers with absolutely zero luck.

I'm absolutely astonished that ZERO Q&A was performed by ASUS for two of their flagship products. As a 20+ year user of ASUS motherboards (exclusively), I'm horribly disappointed in the obvious decline of product quality. If we could get an official answer from ASUS if I have to sell my Essence STX II and go with HT OMEGA instead, that would be great.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
    Memory (part number): CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
    Graphics Card #1: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
    Sound Card: ASUS Essence STX II
    Monitor: ASUS VG248QE
    Storage #1: Samsung 960 EVO

Get your **** together, ASUS.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Vlada011 PC Specs
    Vlada011 PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V E10 (BIOS 1902 BETA)
    ProcessorIntel®i7-5820K (4.5GHz 1.325V)
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
    Sound CardSound Blaster ZxR
    MonitorSamsung P2450H
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB/WD Black 2TB
    CPU CoolerEK RGB Monoblock RVE10
    CaseLian Li PC-O11 WXC
    Power SupplyEVGA 1200 P2
    Keyboard Deck 87 Francium PRO - MX Brown DS PBT
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Mouse Pad Steeseries QCK
    Headset/Speakers CREATIVE T5900 5.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 v1809
    Accessory #1 My dear little iPhone SE Space Grey
    Accessory #2 EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass PWM + CoolstreamPE 360
    Accessory #3 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3 (radiator)

That's bad if Essence STX II not work with Windows 10.
    In one very reliable review from experienced tester Essence STX II is best PCI-E sound card.

Bad because no one is close to me, I would give him my SBZxR if Essence STX II work on X99.
    It's very small difference between them in quality but somehow is nicer when board and sound card are same.
    And Essence STX II have chance for easy replacing Op Amps if someone want to make serious audio setup connected with PC.

ASUS need to fix compatibility with Ryzen and Windows 10 because that sound card is great when work properly and no compatibility problem.
    I could bet that could be fixed. She could serve years without problem because it's well build and owners claim that sound is great.

New ROGer Array kyovlodik PC Specs
    kyovlodik PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1700
    Memory (part number)CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
    Sound CardASUS Essence STX II
    MonitorASUS VG248QE
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO
    CaseCorsair Obsidian Series 750D
    Keyboard Razer DeathStalker
    Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
    Headset/Speakers Sennheiser HD 650
    OS Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB

Quote Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
    That's bad if Essence STX II not work with Windows 10.
    My Essence STX II was working perfectly fine running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB on my ASUS SABERTOOTH X58, but isn't working with my Ryzen 1700 setup. Unfortunately, this looks like a Q&A failure by ASUS. I'm really hoping a firmware patch can address this issue, and soon.
    Last edited by kyovlodik; 08-21-2017 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling

New ROGer Array

I now created a support request using the contact form on the Asus homepage and after some basic tests I was asked to provide some more details in order to escalate it to the 2nd level. Haven't heard of them for a few days but I hope that eventually some investigation is happening.

Ex-employee Array

I apologize but I missed this, I'll check with our audio team whether or not they're aware of this issue since if there's so many reports then it should be reported by our service team.

Ex-employee Array

Please make sure that you have updated to the latest BIOS for your motherboard as we have tested the Essence STX II with a C6H board with latest BIOS (1501) and the we aren't able to replicate this issue. Our engineers have recommended all users to update to the latest BIOS which each recent version helped to further improve system stability for the X370 chipset.

New ROGer Array

Hello Bahz,

I can confirm that the issue is not yet resolved. I am using the latest available BIOS for the PRIME X370 PRO (0810). A few minutes ago, I tried it again. Using the Asus Audio Center I switched the ouput between "2 Speakers" and "Headphone". It successfully worked 4 times in a row but the 5th time caused the reset of the computer (when the relay clicks the 2nd time). The computer then had issues booting up again (in the moment when the relay clicks right before you can see the Windows login screen). The 2nd cold start finally worked and the computer booted to Windows again. I then tried again to switch the output from "2 Speakers" to "Headphone" and now the computer was reset immediately.

It is quite a bad situation as I used to switch between my stereo speakers and my headphones quite often during a day (used them also for phone conferences). Now I cannot use my headphones anymore as I am afraid of losing work when all my open applications are crashing during the power reset.

Regards
    Cool McCool

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast