cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addressable vs Non-Addressable RGB Header

dunkmann00
Level 7
I see that on some of the newer boards (i.e. Prime X299-Deluxe) there is a different RGB header that can control individual LEDs on a strip.

I tried to do some research to understand the differences in how the different types of headers work but am still left unsure if there is anyway for a 4 pin RGB header to be used as an addressable header? I realize the voltages are different, but is there a way for the motherboards to be able to provide either 12V or 5V depending on the type of LED strip? And also for the other pins be dual purpose as well (Red/Green/Blue vs Data/Ground), depending on the type of strip?

Either way I think this new feature is really cool and a great evolution to the Aura ecosystem. Hopefully we'll see more of it in the future!
7 REPLIES 7

sonny48560
Level 7
New to the forums and was wondering about these addressable rgb headers so found my way to this thread. How many of those 60cm addressable cablemod strips can be attached, dont want to buy too many if going to fry the motherboard by connecting them all to this header.

FaaR
Level 7
dunkmann00 wrote:

I tried to do some research to understand the differences in how the different types of headers work but am still left unsure if there is anyway for a 4 pin RGB header to be used as an addressable header?

No, the technologies are different. On the regular header, all LEDs of a primary color (R, G, B) are chained together and act simultaneously depending on the input signal. This makes individual LED addressing impossible.

On the addressable strip (judging from the one that ASUS delivered with my motherboard here), there appears to be a LED driver IC for each RGB LED package that translates the serial information coming in through the data pin into a specific output for that LED package it is attached to.

Korth
Level 14
Normal (monochrome) LEDs each have two wires, power and ground. They're "dumb", they light when powered, their brightness can be controlled by varying voltage.

4-pin RGB LEDs each contain an individual Red LED, Green LED, and Blue LED in a single discrete package or module. One wire to power each of the RGB colour "channels" plus one common ground path. They're still dumb but different voltages on different channels can mix into a spectrum of colour combinations. 5-pin RGBW LEDs are a common variant, adding a White LED component (and colour channel) to the package.

Addressable LEDs each contain an IC in their package or module. They only respond to power during a specific frequency-divided time window. The idea is to rotate each LED address through a cycle with more power across less time to maintain overall brightness, an LED strip with ten addressable components would always have one component lit at ten times overall intensity while the other nine components are unpowered.
(This is a simplification. Address switching frequency is normally hundreds of KHz, response time for each hardware address is normally plus/minus hundreds of ns, different LED semiconductors always have particular "ignition" and "sustain" and "fade" properties which blur into a "persistent illumination" effect when switched at these sorts of frequencies. Multiplexed power/timing signals can produce complex striping, chasing, strobing, and shifting transition effects by "simultaneously" addressing multiple LED components with different colour information.)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Normal (monochrome) LEDs each have two wires, power and ground. They're "dumb", they light when powered, their brightness can be controlled by varying voltage.

4-pin RGB LEDs each contain an individual Red LED, Green LED, and Blue LED in a single discrete package or module. One wire to power each of the RGB colour "channels" plus one common ground path. They're still dumb but different voltages on different channels can mix into a spectrum of colour combinations. 5-pin RGBW LEDs are a common variant, adding a White LED component (and colour channel) to the package.

Addressable LEDs each contain an IC in their package or module. They only respond to power during a specific frequency-divided time window. The idea is to rotate each LED address through a cycle with more power across less time to maintain overall brightness, an LED strip with ten addressable components would always have one component lit at ten times overall intensity while the other nine components are unpowered.
(This is a simplification. Address switching frequency is normally hundreds of KHz, response time for each hardware address is normally plus/minus hundreds of ns, different LED semiconductors always have particular "ignition" and "sustain" and "fade" properties which blur into a "persistent illumination" effect when switched at these sorts of frequencies. Multiplexed power/timing signals can produce complex striping, chasing, strobing, and shifting transition effects by "simultaneously" addressing multiple LED components with different colour information.)

Can somebody address this in simple English? I am looking to buy an ASUS APEX.

Apparently it has no addressable RGB header. What does that mean?

Can somebody answer that without mentioning voltage or wires?

I run a DMX512 RGBW Led lighting setup in my home controlled via 5 ethernet networks, a DMX splitter a CUECORE and TouchOSC on iPads in the various volumes of my home. But I have no idea about motherboards.

PS: I have 300ft of LED lighting in my house, if "addressable RGB header" means some kind of dimmer to control a 5ft led strip then I get the point. But please someone who knows explain!

Korth
Level 14
The "simple English" ...

Non-addressable RGBs, the whole strip/array of RGB LEDs displays one colour at any time. This colour can transition, shift, breath/pulse, etc, across the entire RGB LED colour spectrum - and AURA provides a variety of snazzy themes/effects - but every RGB LED is always exactly the same colour as all its neighbours at any given instant, the whole strip is "all or nothing".

Addressable RGBs, each RGB LED (or segment/block of RGB LEDs) can display a different colour and intensity than its neighbours. Some could be lit in one colour or lit in another or more intense or less intense while others are simultaneously displaying something else. Everything that non-addressable RGB does but more fancy animation/striping/chasing effects are possible. Higher cost and complexity.

Each of these little LEDs uses a tiny amount of electrical power when lit and they all add up, there are limits to how many you can daisy chain or branch off each motherboard header.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/video-guide-how-to-install-aura-rgb-lighting/
https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/all-new-aura-lighting-control-and-rgb-strip-heade...
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboard-Accessory/ROG-Addressable-LED-Strip/

Z270/MAXIMUS IX APEX = not addressable (I think)
Z370/MAXIMUS X APEX = not addressable
X299/RAMPAGE VI APEX = addressable

I wouldn't personally make (addressable) RGB LED a priority when selecting a motherboard. For me it's just a "nice to have" but very optional and very much less important than other motherboard parameters (one of which is cost, assuming all other things are equal). Fully addressable RGB functionality can always be added later through chassis or add-on accessories, if/when needed. But I do understand that my priorities aren't for everyone.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
The "simple English" ...

Non-addressable RGBs, the whole strip/array of RGB LEDs displays one colour at any time. This colour can transition, shift, breath/pulse, etc, across the entire RGB LED colour spectrum - and AURA provides a variety of snazzy themes/effects - but every RGB LED is always exactly the same colour as all its neighbours at any given instant, the whole strip is "all or nothing".

Addressable RGBs, each RGB LED (or segment/block of RGB LEDs) can display a different colour and intensity than its neighbours. Some could be lit in one colour or lit in another or more intense or less intense while others are simultaneously displaying something else. Everything that non-addressable RGB does but more fancy animation/striping/chasing effects are possible. Higher cost and complexity.

Each of these little LEDs uses a tiny amount of electrical power when lit and they all add up, there are limits to how many you can daisy chain or branch off each motherboard header.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/video-guide-how-to-install-aura-rgb-lighting/
https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/all-new-aura-lighting-control-and-rgb-strip-heade...
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboard-Accessory/ROG-Addressable-LED-Strip/

Z270/MAXIMUS IX APEX = not addressable (I think)
Z370/MAXIMUS X APEX = not addressable
X299/RAMPAGE VI APEX = addressable

I wouldn't personally make (addressable) RGB LED a priority when selecting a motherboard. For me it's just a "nice to have" but very optional and very much less important than other motherboard parameters (one of which is cost, assuming all other things are equal). Fully addressable RGB functionality can always be added later through chassis or add-on accessories, if/when needed. But I do understand that my priorities aren't for everyone.

That is a super clear answer, thank you.

I went for the X Apex and a S340 Elite white case. The rear facing leds on the board reflect off the white backplate of the case and the whole thing lights up in an (adressable) type fashion. That paired with an RGB AIO (ML240R and the Gskill TridentZ RGB's).

I'm now interested in seeing how I can "hook" this PC up to the 300 ft of RGBW led around my house which uses DMX512 (same bus as concerts and nightclubs) though ASUS only appears to have Philips Hue middle ware at the moment.

As soon as I have the electroencephalographic hardware sorted out my entire pad including the PC will change scenes depending on brain waves hopefully.

dave4712
Level 7
Hey #all 🙂

Got the "ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING" , actually use one adressable led-stripe with ~80 led´s and one "BitFenix Spectre Addressable RGB" 120mm.

Maybe somebody knows how many adressable fans will work correctly ?

FAQs says max. 120 LED´s ....

Don´t know the exactly number of led´s in the fan,and didn´t find good informations about this....

cheers