cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe crashes. :<

Nighter3D
Level 7
So i made a thread here regarding some crashes ive been troubled with. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94251-Crashes-and-minor-question-beta-bios

My problem is that they GOT WORSE. Like a LOT worse and ive tested everything leaving me with only the Motherboard and CPU to blame :<

To recap:
So ive been having some trouble. A little while ago. My system would get a black screen and then few seconds later fully crash with my motherboard giving a post code of 8/B (as in Only a 8/B on the left digit) and the DRAM qled blinking. It is so abrupt windows rarely manages to get an event reported (when it does it is either a GPU driver trying to restore or a Bugcheck saying a Unccorectable Hardware error occured). The issue seemed to be rather random and was difficult to reproduce. As time went it has kept getting worse and worse and now i am liable to crash even while surfing and anything game related would draw it out sooner or later. Right now all i have to do is run 3DMark and the system would crash by the first graphics test...

Things ive tried with no success:
-Different BIOS versions from 1401 back to 1002
-Different OS (Even a flashdrive loaded Ubuntu experiences).
-Testing memory with memtest86 (no errors found)
-Trying out memory 1 at a time in different banks
-Trying a Different GPU (Instead of Nvidia an AMD)
-Trying GPUs on the PCI-e 1x slots (those handled by motherboard)
-Trying a different PCI-E 16x slot for the GPU
-Trying a different Power Supply
-Trying a different Monitor
-Stress-testing with Prime95 and AIDA64 (no crashes)

Only indicators are:
-Motherboard giving Post error 8/B (only on left digit, right digit is blanked) with Dram Qled blinking.
-Windows rarely reporting issues however when it does it is either a Graphics driver failing or a full blown Bugcheck

All while running barebones with minimal hardware (only CPU,single-MEM,GPU,SSD) which ive slowly removed one by one in the hopes of finding something bugging the system and by leaving all settings all default (Memory is running at normal SPD 2133mhz).

Only thing i can think of that i haven't tried yet is putting the GPU on one of the smaller Motherboard handled slots which i am about too. I know the PCI-E 16x ports are tied to the CPU directly so maybe if this works it would prove my CPU is a bust? Assuming my system can boot up with a GPU in a different slot.

I need to know Which is at most risk of being defective so that i can Return it to the retailer under warranty.

(System specs can be read with the profile thingy on the side. That is the system that is suffering)
12 REPLIES 12

Nighter3D
Level 7
Just tried the GPU put in one of the 1x slots handled by the chipset. No success. :<

SIMONHANDLEY1
Level 7
I would RMA it! Just out of curiosity, is the graphics card compatible with the Crosshair motherboard, that seems an old GPU to me?

How to connect your screen to your graphics card display port, hdmi or DVI because I had the same kind of problem and everything was from the son display port

andyliu
Level 9
if it's not hard to return and get another ROG board, do it.
but if it will be difficult, here is few things you can try
1. disable SMT if you still using older version of bios. i think it's some weird freezin issue with older bios.

2. try to redo all the connection. I had similar problem on my older system, random crash until I leave the case panel off. So I end up redo all my cable to make sure nothing shorting and secure.

3. make sure you keep software installed minimal, like I will just have ryzen chipset driver from AMD, ryzen master (check temp), and nvidia driver from Nvidia installed.
make sure system is stable then work on other software
just leave out anything razor, msi, or asus 😜

4. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3383713/asrock-x370-taichi-amd-ryzen-1800x-post-build-crashin...
this guy encounter crash with CPU fan pin plugged in wrong place, so maybe double check all the connection

5. worst case, i will try reset the CPU and make sure there is no bent pins ;x and maybe try out different set of memory as well.

good luck and let us know if anything help solving your issue.

Update on my problem:

So been testing a bit more. Swapping parts back and forth with a older system and it would appear that the GPU i got which i thought might prove wether or not my GPU was to blame (MSI RX460 OC 4GB) is defective itself. So while i thought that i just managed to exclude the GPU i apparantly plugged in a GPU that might be even more defective than the one i had (assuming that one is to blame). I tried testing the GPU on another system under both windows and Linux using Unigine superposition and 3Dmark and it would blackscreen there aswell. My original GPU (GTX760) seems to unable to get past POST on the other older machine either.

Meanwhile the older GPU (HD7770) from the other system is in mine and Seems to be running stable. Can't say for certain yet, but it did survive all Benchmarks without causing my system to go full on Postal. so the GPU is once again a prime suspect.

Imagine the odds of getting a defective GPU that gives the exact same trouble as the other if this turns out to be true!

Gonna return the RX460 to the store while it is still open today and have them ship me a Asus GTX1050 "Expedition". Gonna have to test with the 7770 further to be certain, but i can quickly return the RX460 so im taking that chance.

Got it fixed.

Apparantly i just had REALLY rotten luck with GPUs. My original MSI GTX760 was failing and the replacement GPU i bought turned out to be a Dead On Arrival being even more defective than the original yet much like it not downright refuses to boot up defective only causing the exact same issue and error on the motherboard. Apparantly the system crashing with error code 8 (not 08) and a blinking Dram led can indicate a GPU problem.

So i returned the DOA GPU to the store, had a Asus GTX1050 Expedition shipped and now my system is fully operational with not a single crash since. It ain't exactly a super GPU, but untill i get to hear that there is a Asus STRIX RX Vega being released it should do.

Now i can get back to trying to see how close to the rated speed of my memory i can get with the 1403 bios.

This thread can be closed if a moderator sees fit.

Nighter3D wrote:
So i returned the DOA GPU to the store, had a Asus GTX1050 Expedition shipped and now my system is fully operational with not a single crash since. It ain't exactly a super GPU, but untill i get to hear that there is a Asus STRIX RX Vega being released it should do.

I am running the same memory. It is rock solid at 2933.

On the graphics card side note, Vega is coming back as a dead end. It is rated below a 1080 from early views on the RX platform. Volta will be the next big step in GFX by accounts on forums. Unless they sell Vega extremely cheap, then it becomes the best interim card. It is a fair bet to say it will become the next best mining card, but that doesn't stand as best value for a gaming component.

syldon wrote:
I am running the same memory. It is rock solid at 2933.

On the graphics card side note, Vega is coming back as a dead end. It is rated below a 1080 from early views on the RX platform. Volta will be the next big step in GFX by accounts on forums. Unless they sell Vega extremely cheap, then it becomes the best interim card. It is a fair bet to say it will become the next best mining card, but that doesn't stand as best value for a gaming component.

Yeah my memory pair is also working at 2933 without any extra tweaking. Tough nothing wrong with trying to get a little further.

As for GPU...Yeah we don't really know anything. Only thing we got is a workstation orientated frontier model for reference. Besides that we don't know anything about Volta nor Vega on gaming except old rumours and claims. For example both Volta going to win and Vega being the "best mining card" are mostly based on how Pascal pushed the envelope for Nvidia GPUs causing users to expect Volta to achieve the exact same kind of increase and Vega being best at mining cause it is more like the R9 Fury using HBM. For all we know Volta might end up dissapointing or also use HBM2 beating Vega at mining.

I'm just gonna hold till actual scores come out, but if Volta is nowhere to be found when vega is and i feel like it is time to get a upgrade i might just go for Vega unless Volta indeed walks by with scores showing it somehow did manage to leave Pascal and Vega in the dust.

Would love for Vega to be decent. I am planning to get a MG279Q monitor this year so AMD GPU with Freesync would be a big plus.

Vega had its first testing yesterday by Pc perspective. This is a card designed for a professional workload rather than gaming, something the Titan XP is aimed at. There has been mention of driver optimisation, and possible better optimisation of Vega gaming cards over the next month. But it does give a first look at the potential of the GPU and how it will fare. My personal opinion is that Vega will be a better multi card set up than Nvidia, but fail as a single card alternative. Time will tell on that one.