cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn on after AC Power Loss - Not working

infernovak
Level 7
I have enabled the option in the BIOS for the PC to wake up automatically after power loss. After the outage, the PC does not turn back on when the power is back. I can see the RGB LEDs glowing, however its just not booting up.

I have to use the off switch on the power supply (Corsair HX750), wait for RGB LEDs to go out, then turn it back on in 10 seconds. Then it restarts automatically. What could be the cause for this? Is there any other option in the BIOS that i need to use? Please help
15 REPLIES 15

davemon50
Level 11
Question: is your system on a UPS with a managed shutdown during the power outage, or is your system just plugged directly into the wall? Also, when you had the power outage, how long was it? Or was it just a blip?
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Question: is your system on a UPS with a managed shutdown during the power outage, or is your system just plugged directly into the wall? Also, when you had the power outage, how long was it? Or was it just a blip?

Hi. System is plugged directly into the wall. Power outage is a blip as the inverter in my house comes on right after.

The thing is, when power goes out and comes back on, apart from not restarting, even if i press power button or restart button, nothing happens. The LEDs are still lit. Its only when i (a) turn the switch off (b) let it discharge, and (c) replug it, does it come back on. My interpretation is that the Mobo does not recognize that it has gone into an off power state, despite CPU and system fans not running. This is probably because power outage lasts for a fraction of a time and its capacitors do not get enough time to discharge (?)

I have another PC with an old Mobo (GA x58a UD3R) connected directly to the wall (and inverter) and it works fine. It restarts automatically.

davemon50
Level 11
Yes because it's a blip it may not be recognized as an outage. Try this: go to your System & Security > System settings in the Control Panel > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab > Startup & Recovery Settings. Make sure you have Automatically Restart on System Failure checked.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Yes because it's a blip it may not be recognized as an outage. Try this: go to your System & Security > System settings in the Control Panel > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab > Startup & Recovery Settings. Make sure you have Automatically Restart on System Failure checked.

I checked the setting. It was already enabled. Any particular reason why this PC having C6H is causing issue and the other PC doesnt?

infernovak wrote:
I checked the setting. It was already enabled. Any particular reason why this PC having C6H is causing issue and the other PC doesnt?

I'm actually very surprised to hear someone from India not using an UPS or at least a very high quality power bar with surge protection as India is among one of the countries with the most unstable power. You should highly consider using an UPS or power bar as regardless if your power supply has SVP, OVP, and SCP, it will can still be damaged from power surges which could also end up damaging other parts in your system. What BIOS version are you currently on? Make sure to try the latest BIOS. I'm thinking your issue is probably caused by a protection feature on your power supply where it detected a power surge and tried to protect your system and therefore the motherboard didn't detect a power signal after the power coming back on because the power supply requires manual input before it starts working again.

Hi. I have surge protection power bar. I don't use a UPS because a) its backup is minimal and b) the inverter gives enough juice to run the PC without fail during power cuts. I am using 1401 BIOS.

The question is why does the mobo not recognize that the PC has powered off, even if the power comes back in a second. It only does when its thoroughly discharged in 5-10s.

infernovak wrote:
Hi. I have surge protection power bar. I don't use a UPS because a) its backup is minimal and b) the inverter gives enough juice to run the PC without fail during power cuts. I am using 1401 BIOS.

The question is why does the mobo not recognize that the PC has powered off, even if the power comes back in a second. It only does when its thoroughly discharged in 5-10s.

Well, every PC I have ever owned has been like this.

I used to live in a rural area of France with frequent power surges and outages. If the power problem was literally only a 0.5s ''BLIP'', then my screen would cut out, but my PC would remain on (LEDs and stuff) but would require manual reboot by power button.

If the ''blip'' was ever so slightly longer, then my PC would shutdown and auto-reboot, but only about 60% of the time. The other 40% of the time, again the LEDs would be on, but nothing working.

I believe it's because there is still power in the system which requires a couple of seconds to dissipate - so if the power blip is only half a second or so, then the system still believes there is power, when in reality it needs a whole reboot because of safety features in the PSU.

By the way, this is on a 10 year-old system (ASUS M4A9TD PRO USB3 M/B) - but I'm almost certain it's the same principle.

Thanks for your replies. My old Gigabyte x58 board works fine and reboots swell. Perhaps its a software/hardware thing for Asus Mobos, beyond my reach to modify. I guess buying a UPS to survive the 0.5s blip seems to be the last resort 🙂 *searching through pockets*

infernovak wrote:
Thanks for your replies. My old Gigabyte x58 board works fine and reboots swell. Perhaps its a software/hardware thing for Asus Mobos, beyond my reach to modify. I guess buying a UPS to survive the 0.5s blip seems to be the last resort 🙂 *searching through pockets*

It definitely is and UPS would be worth the investment that you can continue using for the next systems you build.