cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryzen 1600X Owners Overclocking (The 2.2Ghz Problem)

marblesrx7
Level 7
Hey everyone, I wanted to make a thread for owners of the 1600x. I have noticed the after bios 1002 overclocking in the traditional fashion no longer works without locking the processors @ a 22 multiplier. I have also seen several post on this forum confirming that the problem only seems to happen to 1600x owners. I figured that we should band together to see if ASUS can resolve the problem with a bios update.

I have tried the following bios:

1002-Functions "normal"
1201-Exhibits 2.2Ghz issue
9943-Exhibits 2.2Ghz issue
9945-Exhibits 2.2Ghz issue
1401-Exhibits 2.2Ghz issue
1403-Exhibits 2.2Ghz issue

This thread is not to say that all the bios revisions after 1002 are without merit. The 1401 bios has done wonders for my ram and temps. But I still can not use manual multiplier control modes or manual voltage modes without getting thrown into the 22 multiplier.

Overclocking with Psates-

I have worked around this issue by using PState overclocking. Using A0 for the 40 multiplier and A2 for the 40.5 multiplier has yielded results. Using this configuration with Core voltage offset modes gives me control over the multiplier and Core voltage. This is how I have been overclocking after bios 1002.

In closing I hope that those of you who own the 1600x can chime in on this thread and help others who are experiencing this problem or just have conversations about our experiences with the 1600x and C6H combo.
117 REPLIES 117

Johan45
Level 7
DO you have Ryzen Master on your PC or have you ever used it to overclock? I had similar issues after using the Ryzen Master software and only after I completely uninstalled it and re-flashed my BIOS was I able to get the multiplier working properly. I have also read of issues where the SW doesn't uninstall correctly but the "locked" problem will persist necessitating a re-install of the OS.

Johan45 wrote:
DO you have Ryzen Master on your PC or have you ever used it to overclock? I had similar issues after using the Ryzen Master software and only after I completely uninstalled it and re-flashed my BIOS was I able to get the multiplier working properly. I have also read of issues where the SW doesn't uninstall correctly but the "locked" problem will persist necessitating a re-install of the OS.

The problem lock *22 happened before I install Ryzen master. I'm a 1600X user. I need 100*40, right now I have to 120*33.25 😞 IMO the bug didn't relate with Ryzen Master SW.

Johan45
Level 7
I'm not that certain it's a BIOS issue though. I have a 1600X and have used multiple BIOS with it. I'm not suffering the "lock" issue that you and the OP are. In BIOS you use the Core Ratio setting not the CUSTOM Core Ratio correct?

Johan45 wrote:
I'm not that certain it's a BIOS issue though. I have a 1600X and have used multiple BIOS with it. I'm not suffering the "lock" issue that you and the OP are. In BIOS you use the Core Ratio setting not the CUSTOM Core Ratio correct?

Yes, but I'v tried many setting like bclk 99 to 104 then the result was stuck *22 after windows booted . 😞 Tanks 4 help :

I can say that it has nothing to do with Ryzen master as my system exhibited this prior to my install of Ryzen Master. I have used every bios and the the only bios that functions properly with the 1600x is the 1002. I believe it may not be an ASUS bios team problem necessarily. It may be a bug in the AGESA code from 1.0.0.4a and has been carried forward to 1.0.0.6. I say this since the problem is apparent in all bios after 1002.

Let me be more clear with the problem description. If you own a 1600x and attempt to overclock, At stock you hit the regular 3.7XFR frequency. If you move the multiplayer in the bios to 38,38.5,39,or 40 by using the manual mode. The system will reboot, if you go into the bios to check your settings. The bios will display the settings properly 3800Mhz, 3900Mhz or 4000Mhz respectively. You boot into windows and check any software, CPUZ,AIDA 64, Ryzen Master and you get the cpu speed as 2.2Ghz. I tested gaming and cinebench and can confirm that the CPU never moves from 2.2Ghz. Resulting in pitiful cinebench scores and piss poor gaming performance. The same thing happens when setting voltage to anything above 1.375V in manual mode. i could leave the CPU at stock speeds and set Core voltage to 1.40V, reboot and CPUZ displays 2.2Ghz. Ran all the test to confirm and had the same results.

Emmily wrote:
Yes, but I'v tried many setting like bclk 99 to 104 then the result was stuck *22 after windows booted . 😞 Tanks 4 help :

Have you tried overclocking with Pstates?

This is also happening to me on R7 1700, anything above 3.7ghz will result in this, except with 1700 the multiplier is 15.5, resulting in ~1.5ghz when booting in windows. In BIOS it shows the correct frequency, eg. 3800 mhz. Overclocking with p-state (and using voltage offset) instead of changing multiplier in extreme overclocking worked for me though.

reko_t wrote:
This is also happening to me on R7 1700, anything above 3.7ghz will result in this, except with 1700 the multiplier is 15.5, resulting in ~1.5ghz when booting in windows. In BIOS it shows the correct frequency, eg. 3800 mhz. Overclocking with p-state (and using voltage offset) instead of changing multiplier in extreme overclocking worked for me though.

I have this exact issue. I can't use P-State Overclocking though (unless I'm doing it wrong) I get the 1545-1549mhz problem. Also, I was stable at 3.7Ghz at 1.27v for a few days (Aida, IBT, Real Bench, Cine), turned off my PC to install new fans, powered up and had the 1549mhz issue again. Weird problem. Thought it was my board so I swapped it out at first but it seems to be a wide spread issue.

Eleiyas
Level 10
Will forward this thread to Admin - maybe he can give more information