cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z - Not posting Please Help

big_g_localhost
Level 7
Hello,

A few years ago I got two packages (MB,CPU,RAM) from Overclockers due to moving house and changing jobs I didn't get round to building the entire system. Now, I have some time to build a full system and wanted to use the original parts. However, I did successfully have it running with installed O/S etc, but I moved the case to a different room and added 16GB of RAM. It makes no sense to me why it is not working!

Symptoms -
No signal to monitor via DVI-D or HDMI
Q-Code = C5
Mobo error light "dram_led" = On constantly
ROG Connect = stops at Memory

Hardware -
Mobo - Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD (supplied in package from Overclockers)
GPU - MSI R5450
RAM - 8GB DDR3 Patriot Viper P38G169UR (supplied in package from Overclockers) / 16GB Kingston KHX16C10B1B
SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
PSU - Crosair RM1000x

Troubleshooting -
Tried each stick of RAM individually in each slot on the MB
Checked RAM against QVL
Upgrade PSU from 650w to 1000w
Removed BIOS battery from motherboard
Replaced BIOS battery
Disconnected every cable from MB, even 24 pin PSU connect give C5
Pressed clear BIOS button every time when trying something
Replace BIOS chip on MB
4 REPLIES 4

Eleiyas
Level 10
First of all, I'd like to say that a 1000W PSU is overkill.

Secondly:
you had it working before and now it doesn't work: 2 things have happened during the period between working->not working:
you moved the case and you added more memory.

Therefore we can conclude that one of those 2 things is what's causing you to have this issue.

You have 2 different sets of RAM on your MOBO, which is not a good idea. Although I guess you are only using one of the kits at a time.

Does your setup work again if you use all the original components (what worked before)?
-> If yes: then your new RAM is very likely the issue
-> If no: then it's likely that your MOBO got damaged when you moved your case

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
First of all, I'd like to say that a 1000W PSU is overkill.

Secondly:
you had it working before and now it doesn't work: 2 things have happened during the period between working->not working:
you moved the case and you added more memory.

Therefore we can conclude that one of those 2 things is what's causing you to have this issue.

You have 2 different sets of RAM on your MOBO, which is not a good idea. Although I guess you are only using one of the kits at a time.

Does your setup work again if you use all the original components (what worked before)?
-> If yes: then your new RAM is very likely the issue
-> If no: then it's likely that your MOBO got damaged when you moved your case

As per my notes I did try an individual stick of RAM known working (i.e. 1 stick and 1 brand), still shows C5 Q-Code. that is also trying to clear BIOS inn between.

I would be suprised moving the case 1 door down while not being removed from the case. If this is the cause it really doesn't say much for the quality of the ROG motherboards.

big_g_localhost wrote:
As per my notes I did try an individual stick of RAM known working (i.e. 1 stick and 1 brand), still shows C5 Q-Code. that is also trying to clear BIOS inn between.

I would be suprised moving the case 1 door down while not being removed from the case. If this is the cause it really doesn't say much for the quality of the ROG motherboards.

You did say you got the components ''a few years ago''. Over time the parts will of course get worn/used, et cetera and maybe, unluckily for you, something on the board was slightly loose or damaged and the fact you moved it caused it to break.

If everything that was working before is now not working, then it's my logical conclusion that maybe your board did get damaged when you moved it.

sectionate
Level 12
reseat all of your components to rule out a short (loose/over tighten screw) make sure you are using the "correct" screws for your motherboard.
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com