Did you mean: 

X299 VRM Disaster (overheat) ??

Beto556
Level 9
77 REPLIES 77

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Beto556 wrote:

Seems cooling is the issue here. At least the ROG offerings will be revised, but it's an age old problem. I will likely go monoblock for this generation, although I don't plan on subjecting the system to massive AVX loads.

Active cooling can go a long way, even on the X99 Deluxe I always have a fan over the VRM - even though temps are well within spec without.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

mdzcpa
Level 12
They will need to get this addressed asap. This issue is another casualty of Intel pulling ahead the release of X299 in response to AMD. What a mess 😞

I've been active cooling or water cooling my VRMs since X79 and the Rampage IV. There were heat issues with them too especially when water cooling and eliminating the minimal airflow over the VRM heat sink. BUT...those boards would not throttle in just 10 minutes with a modest over clock. So this issue is definitely worse here on X299. All the mobo makers need to re-think this or there will be too many novice or aesthetic orientated clockers running into throttling issues.

Korth
Level 14
I'd like confirmation from more than one source.

This guy could have received a "bad" processor part. Or he could have received a "bad" ASUS mobo. Did he even buy these parts, or are they pre-release media samples?
Which firmware/BIOS version is he running? Exactly what BIOS settings did he change? What other power-sucking stuff does he have installed while measuring VRM temps?
His methodology could somehow be flawed (though I don't know how, lol). Maybe he's even just using a lousy TIM.

Or, yes, he could have measured a very real and possibly very serious VRM overheating issue. Exactly what the title says.
I do actually applaud him for performing these measurements and reporting his findings. It provides a great service to those of us who cannot do such testing on a bunch of new X299 mobos ourselves.

But a single motherboard from each manufacturer is not necessarily representative. Need more VRM temp measurements from different people running the same-model mobos before the apparent/speculative conclusion becomes an obvious/inarguable conclusion.

This sort of thing is part of the reason I'm not rushing into X299 for the first year or so, lol. Maybe these temps can be corrected or reduced through firmware updates. Intel rushing the X299 launch (and thus rushing all mobo maker X299 launches) doesn't help, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

tistou77
Level 13
You do not know der8auer ??
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

tistou77 wrote:
You do not know der8auer ??

i know him. 😮
don't mean everybody should know him though.

@korth, news is legit (i think?) here are some more references:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1apy-AgCRM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyhJ8_d1FHM <- LinusTechtips' Wan show. seek to time @ 01:06:30
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

mdzcpa
Level 12
I know der8auer fairly well. He is legit. The only real criticism I see of his testing was his choice of PSU. That particular model has some limitations on its 12v CPU 8 pin rail. That said, I'm suspecting since he tested on 3 brand of mobos, the issue is likely real. It's not a show stopper, but something all the board makers need to address. We haven't even seen the higher core count chips yet. The 7900X is enough to see the throttling without active cooling. If you see most of the reviews of 7900X thus far on X299, they have been using a fan over the VRMs for overlocking testing on their reviews. That's fine....but a bit misleading as most end users likely were not planning on a 100mm man over that area in a case.

Again, for the hardcore guys, this is not an big issue. But for prosumer workstations or those folks concerned about case aesthetics and cooling...they need a better solution.

I am also not rushing to the new HEDT this time. Too much movement in the segment at the moment, and lots of rushed and pulled ahead releases. I'm going to considering jumping after the dust settles.

Korth
Level 14
It's actually good that he chooses some components (like PSU) which better represent "typical" consumer choices. Not everyone will have an 1600W Titanium Supernova or Platinum AX1500i or monstrous server-grade super PSU.

I agree, having now seen multiple reviews about this VRM overheat issue, it definitely appears legit.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

abvolt
Level 11
I was hoping to go x299 soon guess I'll wait & see..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Korth
Level 14
Intel is rushing i300 and Coffee Lake, too, again in (preemptive?) response to AMD offerings. New scheduled release dates have been bumped up, according to old "leaked" Intel roadmaps.

[/Korth]