Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPurr View Post
    I and other EK R6E monoblock users could look for our own 10G-chip heatsinks, but it would be better if EK includes one at a higher monoblock package price. Various PCIe 10G cards that use the same AQC107 chip just have the chip exposed to open air, without a heatsink to conduct heat to a larger surface area. So it is obvious that simply having the chip's heat radiate from the chip and relying on incidental convective cooling from airflow inside the case is sufficient. But that airflow is blocked in the enclosed confines of the I/O cover, although the heat will still flow upward through the top-right opening of the I/O cover. But that is great to know that the Aquantia chip throttles to save itself.

I agree that the VRM water block is really not needed. But EK states that their X299 CPU-VRM monoblocks' redesigned cold plate cools the CPU 9 degrees-C *BETTER* than their CPU-only Supremacy EVO blocks. And that is the MAIN reason that I am still going to get the EK R6E monoblock, now that I know that we don't have to totally remove the lovely R6E I/O cover The additional better VRM cooling just adds extra tasty icing onto the monoblock cake.

You're always welcome to contact ek and tell them about your requirements. Don't know if their reps look at these threads.

As for whether a given chip should have a heatsink, it depends on numerous factors, including how much copper there is in the pcb and how much heat there is from surrounding components.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    You're always welcome to contact ek and tell them about your requirements. Don't know if their reps look at these threads.

As for whether a given chip should have a heatsink, it depends on numerous factors, including how much copper there is in the pcb and how much heat there is from surrounding components.
    I'm actually surprised there isn't a little fan under the I/O cover like there is in other x299 motherboards. Being that the chip is 'enclosed', and we don't want throttling/damage, as Raja would say it would be probably wise to consider cooling it in some manner. I wrote on the APex thread if the Apex has the same situation with the VRM and the 10G chip as I'm still up in the air as to which i'm gettting.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

The fan wasn't needed to meet tdp specs, so that's why there isn't one.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

The fan wasn't needed to meet tdp specs, so that's why there isn't one.
    Wow you learn something new.

I found a few little heatsinks that advertise being able to dissipate that much heat and since it will be right at the back of the case with a fan right there bringing air into the case, I think it will be good should I go that route. Still up in the air about the Apex vs the RE6. Pros/cons with both.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Removing/replacing anything from/on the board has grounds to invalidate the warranty. That isn't going to change. FWIW the Aquantia throttles when temps breach max case temp, so it won't burn out - at least we couldnt make it do so in the lab.

While we're on the subject of overclocking, the type of stuff you'll be doing with your choice of CPU hardly requires a VRM water block. With some airflow over R6E heatsink, you can pull well over 400W through the VRM before temps hit throttling point.
    To your point - with a 92mm fan placed as pictured - pushing ~400W through with totally reasonable VRM temps (though I plan to add an EK mono-block soon):

EDIT: seen as much as 456W with 430-440W sustained and still ~75C VRM temps with the setup in the picture

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400W_VRM_cooling.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	496.1 KB 
ID:	68264
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 4.5_1.18v_rb15m.png  

Last edited by cekim; 10-22-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8