cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Crosshair VI Wi-Fi

MrEWhite
Level 7
Just got a really simple question here, does the Crosshair VI Wi-Fi use the same bioses as the Crosshair VI?
9 REPLIES 9

Ravwyn
Level 7
As far as I know - yes. The Wifi model is basicly the same board with an add-on wifi card and antennas. I'm using the regular version and I can just find a wii adaptor that fits in there and add some antennas - just not the shiny ones from ASUS.

If in doubt, check the board (revision markings, model no etc) and/or the already flashed UEFI. What does it say? Does it align with available ones? And as soon as the page is up, you can just proceed and download the ones provided there.

Oh btw @ASUS - your product page for the regular hero includes a "wrong" german manual. That manual is totally for the Wifi model ^-^'

danjw
Level 10

Weird. Especially since we have the wiwi card slot right there - you can find modules that will fit and work ;D - And like I said, the regular page has the wifi manual as the german one. So I would be really surprised if they are actually different. Seperate SKUs yes, but the hw is the same. Why he couldn't flash - well that's beyond me.

No it doesn't use the same bios i guess, when i tried flashing a non wifi hero bios i got the message wrong bios and it won't flash. Tried also with the OEM 1201 from ASUS non wifi, same outcome.

GNoiZz wrote:
No it doesn't use the same bios i guess, when i tried flashing a non wifi hero bios i got the message wrong bios and it won't flash. Tried also with the OEM 1201 from ASUS non wifi, same outcome.

Are you doing it within Windows or via flashback?

Flashback USB stick. Tested to flash the 1201 for the wifi model, and this version flashed without problems.

I have the newer wifi model also, which doesnt seem to be as popular and i cant seem to get much or anything stable. Whats the newest beta bios that will work on this one? Heard talk we are due for a new official release?

Ravwyn wrote:
Weird. Especially since we have the wiwi card slot right there - you can find modules that will fit and work ;D - And like I said, the regular page has the wifi manual as the german one. So I would be really surprised if they are actually different. Seperate SKUs yes, but the hw is the same. Why he couldn't flash - well that's beyond me.

Does the non-Wifi board have the M.2 slot behind the VRM heatsink (the one that says "Crosshair", as the Wifi version does? If not, maybe that slot is the reason. Maybe the Wifi BIOS has the ability to switch the lanes on and off for that slot if the card is removed. I'm pretty sure the rest of the board is the same. Also, the Internet BIOS flashback capability can use Wifi I believe, so the BIOS would have to be able to use a Wifi adapter as well as a LAN (if I'm right). I'll test it some time, but not today.

LG255555
Level 7
MrEWhite wrote:
Just got a really simple question here, does the Crosshair VI Wi-Fi use the same bioses as the Crosshair VI?

No. I am 100% certain they do not. I have a CH6 Wifi AC and it won't accept a non WiFi BIOS. This is why they use different BIOS numbers (versions). Just go to ASUS website / support / drivers and look at the BIOS for the WiFi version, then back out and do it for the non-Wifi version. You will see different versions.