cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z270i m.2 nvme troubles (new BIOS 0808)

DangerToManifol
Level 7
So I saw there is a new BIOS release and decided to try it. Seems to work OK as I can boot again with XMP like 0203 but now I'm having issues with my Intel 600p m.2 nvme. The drive can't be detected on boot at times so I have to manually shut down, wait for a minute or so, and pray it would boot. I had it on the front but moving it to the rear didn't make a difference. Looked in BIOS to see if there's a setting to enable/disable/auto nvme setting and there's isn't one. I also updated the ssd with the latest firmware and it's still doing it. Never had this problem until now.

Anyone else having this issue? How can I rollback/downgrade to the previous BIOS version?
25 REPLIES 25

Silentspy
Level 7
Hi!

I had issues installing m.2 nvme and it was caused by not inserting it fully into the socket. make sure the pins hit eachother or a simple vibration or something could make it not be recognized. Unless bios is to blame

example installation gif

qUAanA
Level 10
new bios?

qUAanA wrote:
new bios?

Yes, there's a new BIOS for Z270i - version 0808.

Everything was good but BIOS 0704 had issues with XMP profiles on the 7700K. I updated because the notes said "Improve system stability and performance" and now my Intel 600p, which is my boot drive, cannot be detected at times.

davemon50
Level 11
OK not your motherboard, mine is RVE10, but I woke up this morning to the exact same issue. When I brought my PC out of sleep my monitor was nothing but a bunch of colored lines, and I had to do a hard shutdown. When I rebooted my M.2 was no longer available in BIOS and I couldn't boot. I had a few different error codes after trying a couple times to boot. My usual setup is simply OC the CPU from 3.0 to 4.0 in turbo, and OC the RAM to 3000 MHz with default XMP enabled. Has always been stable, but today after I realized I lost the drive I had to reset everything to stock. Thereafter took a boot to recognize the drive, and then I had to reset all the boot options again, and another boot to actually get W10 to load. That's where I am now, and everything looks stable. I'll go back and OC later today (after I finish refurbishing my stupid swimming pool multiport valve, lol).

Anyway, I don't know if you can relate to that based on what you saw, but try returning all OC values to stock, then reboot back to BIOS, check your boot sequence and drives, and then reboot. I can't say how stable that will remain as this is the first time I have ever encountered it with an M.2, but then again I'm just an M.2 novice, probably like most of us.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
OK not your motherboard, mine is RVE10, but I woke up this morning to the exact same issue. When I brought my PC out of sleep my monitor was nothing but a bunch of colored lines, and I had to do a hard shutdown. When I rebooted my M.2 was no longer available in BIOS and I couldn't boot. I had a few different error codes after trying a couple times to boot. My usual setup is simply OC the CPU from 3.0 to 4.0 in turbo, and OC the RAM to 3000 MHz with default XMP enabled. Has always been stable, but today after I realized I lost the drive I had to reset everything to stock. Thereafter took a boot to recognize the drive, and then I had to reset all the boot options again, and another boot to actually get W10 to load. That's where I am now, and everything looks stable. I'll go back and OC later today (after I finish refurbishing my stupid swimming pool multiport valve, lol).

Anyway, I don't know if you can relate to that based on what you saw, but try returning all OC values to stock, then reboot back to BIOS, check your boot sequence and drives, and then reboot. I can't say how stable that will remain as this is the first time I have ever encountered it with an M.2, but then again I'm just an M.2 novice, probably like most of us.

Thanks for the response. I did something similar, I cleared the CMOS a few times and got the same result.

I'm convinced this is a BIOS problem. There's nothing in the settings that would seem to fix it, I'm researching now how to go back to the previous BIOS version. You can't do it with Easyflash and there's no Flashback for Z270i. Guess I'll just put my PC to sleep and avoid doing a shutdown/restart unless I have to.

davemon50
Level 11
Hey I have no intention of hijacking your thread, but wanted to add something from my experience that could maybe help point you in a good direction.

It took me 10 to maybe 15 tries to get the system back to my normal overclock, CPU and SPD. I noticed that every time it didn't like the overclock I lost the M.2 again. Got it back to "normal" finally, and there was no Windows corruption on the M.2. But it just leaves me to believe that the first sign of a rejected overclock, at least on my own system, is loss of the M2. Hope that helps. If I have any more troubles I'll start a new thread. Good luck man.
Davemon50

I am also having tons of issues since the new 0808 bios. I have two NVME ssds Samsung 960 Pro and an Intel 600p. The intel drive will stop being seen after a few reboots. I have had the board for a few months and had no issues other than cold boot problems. Also the system is unstable now. DO NOT UPDATE TO 0808. You cannot downgrade!

It not only is affecting nvme drives. My two 850 evos in raid 0 are corrupting my Windows install after the bios update. Built in recovery doesn't work so I'm going to have to reformat the drives, hoping it doesn't corrupt again. Need a way to revert or upgrade to a new version Asus!

I had to set my memory at 2400/1.2v (vs 3000/1.35v) so I can get cooler temps and better stability with my 7700K. Expectations were high on this mb but problems ADD up with every BIOS update. Do they even test these before sending them out?

I'm done wasting my time with this thing, so I took the L and bought a Gigabyte GA-Z270N Gaming 5. Let's see how it'll run.