Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    yeah I agree, I'm not sure why the Aorus 1080 Ti would have problems in an ASUS board. Seeing how the Aurus works in another motherboard the only thing I could see causing it is maybe Gigabyte's vbios has compatibility issues with ASUS's UEFI.
    With no confirmed reports of this combination successfully working, and >5 Reports of users who are experiencing the same incompatibility - what's it going to take for either vendor to act on this and perform investigation themselves? I can't imagine it would take much effort from either vendor just to test the combination and confirm the issue atleast then future customers could be warned and not stuck in a blame game between two companies.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

We know ASUS mobos work with ASUS GPU cards, and with reference NVIDIA/AMD GPU cards, and with GPU cards from most other manufacturers.

But do we know that nonreference Gigabyte cards work with most motherboards? Their Aorus 1080Ti is loaded with proprietary (nonstandard) features which could have broken compatibility.

I'm inclined to agree, the incompatibility is probably caused by a nonstandard VBIOS. Probably (eventually) fixable through firmware update. I doubt Gigabyte deliberately engineered this incompatibility (which would result in scandal, if ever proven), but I also wouldn't be surprised if Gigabyte didn't invest a whole lot of time/money/effort into testing full compatibility with every competing (ASUS) product.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    We know ASUS mobos work with ASUS GPU cards, and with reference NVIDIA/AMD GPU cards, and with GPU cards from most other manufacturers.

But do we know that nonreference Gigabyte cards work with most motherboards? Their Aorus 1080Ti is loaded with proprietary (nonstandard) features which could have broken compatibility.

I'm inclined to agree, the incompatibility is probably caused by a nonstandard VBIOS. Probably (eventually) fixable through firmware update. I doubt Gigabyte deliberately engineered this incompatibility (which would result in scandal, if ever proven), but I also wouldn't be surprised if Gigabyte didn't invest a whole lot of time/money/effort into testing full compatibility with every competing (ASUS) product.
    The Gigabyte Card worked in every other motherboard tested, likewise every other GPU tested in the Maximus Extreme worked - to date the issue is isolated to these two exact products together.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

We know ASUS mobos are loaded with proprietary (nonstandard) features but still work properly with ASUS GPU cards, with reference NVIDIA GPU cards, and with GPU cards from many other manufacturers (notably EVGA, MSI, PNY, Galax).

But do we know that nonreference Gigabyte cards work with every motherboard? Their Aorus 1080Ti is loaded with proprietary (nonstandard) features which could have broken compatibility.

I'm inclined to agree with @Nate152 that incompatibility is probably caused by a nonstandard VBIOS. Probably (eventually) fixable through firmware update.

I very much doubt Gigabyte deliberately engineered this incompatibility (because this would result in an costly scandal, if ever proven). And Gigabyte is a much smaller player than ASUS, designing deliberate incompatibility would indeed be financially suicidal for them.

But I also wouldn't really be surprised if Gigabyte didn't/doesn't invest a great deal of time/money/effort into testing full compatibility with every competing (ASUS) product.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshCakes2000 View Post
    With no confirmed reports of this combination successfully working, and >5 Reports of users who are experiencing the same incompatibility ...
    There do appear to be "confirmed" reports of this combination (Maximus VIII Hero/Extreme + Aorus 1080Ti) successfully working. I found a few on overclock.net's Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread, a few more on PCPartPicker.

ROG Member Array

but I also wouldn't be surprised if Gigabyte didn't invest a whole lot of time/money/effort into testing full compatibility with every competing (ASUS) product.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this exact model wasn't tested by Gigabyte - If Asus release 5 versions of a motherboard it's a big ask for GPU manufacturers to test their card in every single variation.

ROG Member Array

We know ASUS mobos are loaded with proprietary (nonstandard) features but still work properly with ASUS GPU cards, with reference NVIDIA GPU cards, and with GPU cards from many other manufacturers (notably EVGA, MSI, PNY, Galax).

But do we know that nonreference Gigabyte cards work with every motherboard? Their Aorus 1080Ti is loaded with proprietary (nonstandard) features which could have broken compatibility.

I'm inclined to agree with @Nate152 that incompatibility is probably caused by a nonstandard VBIOS. Probably (eventually) fixable through firmware update.

I very much doubt Gigabyte deliberately engineered this incompatibility (because this would result in an costly scandal, if ever proven). And Gigabyte is a much smaller player than ASUS, designing deliberate incompatibility would indeed be financially suicidal for them.

But I also wouldn't really be surprised if Gigabyte didn't/doesn't invest a great deal of time/money/effort into testing full compatibility with every competing (ASUS) product.

There do appear to be "confirmed" reports of this combination (Maximus VIII Hero/Extreme + Aorus 1080Ti) successfully working. I found a few on overclock.net's Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread, a few more on PCPartPicker.
    My apologies if this is blatantly obvious - when you say found a few, what do you mean? Without manually browsing the 150pg thread i searched it for the word Maximus and only found results of complaints of it not working? Would you mind linking to the specific post? As all cases where it's now 'working' that i've read to date - have been because the store agreed to swap GPU to another brand.

1:
    Forum: NVIDIA
    Thread: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread
    I have incompatibility issue between Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Xtreme and Motherboard Asus Maximus VIII Extreme: graphic card not detected. My reseller sent me a replacement but still the same problem (motherboard can't detect this GPU) I've updated my BIOS and tried all the PCI slots, still nothing. Someone else with the same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co...s_motherboard/ Crazy to see such hardware incompatibility...
    2:
    I don't know if it's possible to flash the bios of the Aorus Xtreme with latest to see if that helps.
    Please note this thread wasn't intended for the Maximus VIII Hero - It is for the Extreme - That is the only board i am certain is incompatible.
    3:
    try going into your mobo bios, check if pci-e mode is set to auto or anything else than gen 3. If so, try setting it manually to gen 3.if still not detected, try experim eating with the modes and c which 1 make any difference. Ideally u will want gen 3 as its the fastest.

Edit: I've just tried searching PCPartpicker - using keywords AORUS or EXTREME i was unable to find a single system with the Maximus VIII Extreme & Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Apologies if i'm missing something here - are you able to link your examples?
    Last edited by FreshCakes2000; 07-04-2017 at 04:29 AM.

ROG Member Array

I'll assume the lack of reply means there are no confirmed reports of the Maximus VIII Extreme and the Aorus 1080ti then.

Found this post while searching for one though:

post #1507 of 1566 6/28/17 at 12:11am
    reflex75

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tsahi View Post

Thanks for the tips but I've tried all the pci slots, different settings in the bios, clear all to default, update to the latest version but nothing works.
    It really must be an incompatibility issue because I have tried with 2 different Aorus 1080ti samples and both are not detected.
    And I have perfectly tested almost every brand of 1080ti with my system (FE, MSI, Asus, Zotac...) and Gigabyte is the only one with this issue. And as I said before I'm not the only one having this issue with the same motherboard.
    Gigabyte support replied it was probably due to my faulty psu which is a brand new Seasonic Prime 750w (12y warranty).
    They are amateurs...
    I dare anyone to prove me I'm wrong trying this combination of gpu and motherboard!

ROG Member Array Wheezy PC Specs
    Wheezy PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximuss viii Extreme
    Processor6700K @ 4.6
    Memory (part number)32GB GSkill Ripjaws 3600
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080 @ 1900mhz
    MonitorPG279Q
    Storage #1950Pro
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken
    CaseCM Storm Stryker
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 850
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse Mamba TE
    Headset OLD School stereo - better than any gaming headset
    Mouse Pad Func Industries

This is so disappointing. I built a system last year with an Asus Maximus VIII Extreme and a Gigabyte WIndforce OC 1080. The combo works great! Had a time limited coupon for NewEgg and decided to purchase the Gigabyte Extreme Waterforce 1080ti as an upgrade.

The card arrived and wouldn't work. Undetected by the BIOS. I also jumped through all the hoops of driver removal tools, bios updates, bios rollbacks. At each step I also swapped the original Windforce card back in with zero issues. I couldn't figure it out and decided, card is probably DOA (no other systems at the house to test with). Replacement finally showed up two weeks later *side note, newegg can suck it. All excited, took my time, mounted the radiator, dialed in the dual power supply cables. With anticipation high, I fire up the machine "Display Port: No Signal Detected" - instant gut sinking feeling and lots of profanity.

Went through built in display port connection into bios, no card detected. Lots more profanity and just shut it down and walked away before having a HULK SMASH session.

So, here are another TWO cases of the Gigabyte Extreme 1080ti NOT working with the ASUS Maximums VIII Extreme.
    Last edited by Wheezy; 07-27-2017 at 04:15 PM.

ROG Member Array Wheezy PC Specs
    Wheezy PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximuss viii Extreme
    Processor6700K @ 4.6
    Memory (part number)32GB GSkill Ripjaws 3600
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080 @ 1900mhz
    MonitorPG279Q
    Storage #1950Pro
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken
    CaseCM Storm Stryker
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 850
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse Mamba TE
    Headset OLD School stereo - better than any gaming headset
    Mouse Pad Func Industries

Ain't nobody got time for this. RMA'd the card for the second time. Going with ASUS card.

ROG Member Array

Is there any chance you could get the revision/Bios information from the two cards that didn't work?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast