cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 1600X High default voltage

GNoiZz
Level 7
Got the ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (WIFI) + a R5 1600x a couple days ago and have some concernce. When i load default setting the CPU core voltage is set to around 1.5V which concerns me a bit. No matter what i set in the bios the CPU seems to never go under 1.4V OEM or OC. The Power management (firmware error code) in Windows 10 doesn't work either, and CPU runs always at max. Installed Win already new without any improvement.

Did i get a really bad CPU or is my mobo bad ?

Default settings

3.9GHZ OC

11 REPLIES 11

ded99
Level 7
Not looking too good in here either 😕 Welcome to club..

Johan45
Level 7
That's actually pretty normal for the 1600"X". If you leave it on auto and only disable the core boost> reboot> back to BIOS you'll see a drop in the voltage. The 1600X goes to 4.1 typically in Windows that voltage is never used but AMD allows ample voltage for it.

Raja
Level 13
That's normal range for default AMD XFR voltages. This is not a board issue or UEFI bug.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
That's normal range for AMD"s XFR default voltages. This is not a board issue or UEFI bug.

I had the impression that 1.375 would be more the norm. Is it normal too, that the CPU and mobo voltage readings differ that much?
More interesting to know would be why the windows power management fails?

I'd also like to know how normal that is - my CPU voltage varies between 1.351-1.417, also memory (rated 3000 @ 1.35) voltage is set 1.35 in BIOS and it shows 1.395-1.417 @ 2933.

Johan45
Level 7
Use HWinfo64 to check in Windows for the actual voltage well with SW the only way to get true readings is with a DMM but HWinfo64 is quite close

I've used every program worth mentioning for checking the voltages, they all report the same.

The system defaults to a higher voltage for stability, maybe they did this for the problem Ryzen had initially, I don't know. Changing to offset mode allows the CPU voltages to be variable, and will try to run at a lower voltage. I run a 1800x @ 1.37v max.

Change CPU voltage from auto to offset

Leave at default "+"

Set off set to 0.0325 as a start then decrease. I am set to 0.0250.

After several times loading default settings (one time didn't do the trick), Windows 10 power management works again. HWInfo64 shows at default a max voltage VCORE 1.544V, and DRAM 1.395V (2400mhz) on the CPU sensor, and on the Crosshair sensor VCORE 1.59V, which seems a bit excessive to me. As soon i load 3.9ghz OC Windows power management stops working.

By the way... at first boot it showed OC failed and not like expected new CPU.....maybe i got a opened box from Amazon.

Had a Crosshair V Formula Z / FX8370 and G.Skill TridenX before this board and never had a prob. This Crosshair VI Hero WIFI seems more like a public beta test board and for the $270 i paid for it i expected a working board........would this be a $100 board different story.