cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct BIOS NVME M.2 Settings and other oddities

oxidation868
Level 7
First question is like the title says. I bought a Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW) and I would like to know exactly what settings in the bios do I need to enable to achieve full speeds while in windows.

Second question is every other reboot or so windows takes forever to boot. All hard drives pass SMART. Changed all Sata cables. Reformatted and installed NVME drive with UEFI windows 10 by disabling CSM before hand. When I go into device manager then IDE/ ATA/ ATAPI it shows 2 Standard SATA AHCI Controllers. First one is PCI bus 3 function 1 the other is PCI bus 43. Both have the same driver version 10.0.15063.332 dated 6/21/2006.

Third question when I get these long reboots both my keyboard and mouse start to lag. Ill move the mouse the it will move like 5 seconds later. Same with the keyboard ill start typing and then it will type a few seconds later. Using a wireless keyboard and mouse btw. If I use a wired mouse keyboard all is fine. I've tried all the usb ports on the case and motherboard same situation for the wireless keyboard and mouse, no fix. If I plug the wireless keyboard and mouse to my laptop and can sit all the way back on my couch the signal reaches just fine even if ppl walk by I have zero lag but on this motherboard I have all the lag in the world. I believe is related to the NVME drive or my hard driveS.

Fourth and final question MemTest86 will boot when restarting the computer off of usb but crashes on its own and wont even load. Doesn't even test ram at all. It shows that its trying to start up on the black screen then just crashes. Same exact usb works fine on laptop. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Oh and by the way im on the latest bios and on the latest windows 10 creators update. All drivers are up to date I used ASUS updater to update drivers. Also I have 7 Hard drives total of 30TB.
24 REPLIES 24

MysticPixie
Level 7
Are you overclocked?

I have the EVO 960 1TB and with everything at default it just works. No special settings needed so far as I know.

MysticPixie wrote:
Are you overclocked?

I have the EVO 960 1TB and with everything at default it just works. No special settings needed so far as I know.

Only disabled cpu boost on 1800x. Chose gen 3 on the pcie settings for nvme. Thank you for the response.

Hi,

I know you said all drivers are up to date, but have you installed the Samsung NVMe Driver?
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

I forgot to in first place... And after installing the SSD performed like advertised. 😄

HarlemSquirrel
Level 7
I'm using Linux and noticed increased system stability after updating the firmware for my Samsung NVMe drive. Check if your drive is up to date.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Firmware was up to date and I just installed official Samsung drivers for the NVME drive but what I did noticed is that in Samsung Magician under System Compatibility I have an error code of VID 1022. The error reads Under the current system environment, some functions in Magician CANNOT be run. If multiple iterations of Read and Write are performed, RAPID mode may become inactive due to system internal errors on some of the AMD / AsMedia Controller or Driver. Thank you everyone for your all your responses.

I tested Samsung 960 PRO (NVMe) and Samsung 840 EVO (AHCI) connected to Crosshair VI since March. Without problems. No special settings in BIOS (in any version) needed. Tested with Windows 10 1607 and also Windows 10 1703.

Tested:

- Samsung 960 PRO with Microsoft NVMe driver
- Samsung 960 PRO with Samsung NVMe driver 2.1
- Samsung 960 PRO with Samsung NVMe driver 2.2
- Samsung 960 PRO with Samsung NVMe driver 2.2 and BIOS 2B6QCXP7 (enhanced compatibility and stability)

Tested:

- Samsung 840 EVO
- Samsung 840 EVO with RAPID Mode enabled

Current config:
- Samsung 960 PRO with Samsung NVMe driver 2.2 and BIOS 2B6QCXP7 + Samsung 840 EVO with RAPID Mode enabled

Note:
In Samsung Magician 5.1 you can see in EVO System Compatibility page VID 1022 warning about RAPID Mode and AMD/AsMedia Controller or Driver. But EVO with RAPID Mode enabled works well and speed with DDR4 3200 MHz 14-14-14-14-34 1T is fantastic.

-
Samsung SSDs software, drivers and firmware:
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

oxidation868 wrote:
System Compatibility I have an error code of VID 1022.

I have this error, but I don't have any boot or reboot speed problems. I assume it is just reporting the AMD SATA issue. I believe rapid mode is not supported on NVMe drives.

If you are playing with the computer's bus speed, you might run into problems.

Yeah I guess I can't get rapid mode enabled. I fixed the reboot issues I was having by performing a full error scan/fix on all drives, fingers crossed. I believe my mouse and keyboard issues are ram related but I don't know for sure. I bought A-DIe ram. The exact model is G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series F4-2400C15D-16GTZR. When I boot the pc I get motherboard code 24. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. I use stock voltages, I only disabled cpu boost. 6575765758

oxidation868 wrote:
When I boot the pc I get motherboard code 24.

Code 24 is not an error...it means the BIOS has handed control over to the OS. Everyone has that code in Windows, although you might get a different code after resuming from sleep (e.g. code 40).

What BIOS are you using?

Might want to check with the manufacturer of the wireless mouse and keyboard.