cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS(K) discharge issue questions

SeaSpray
Level 7
Hi Everyone,

*Seems like the previous threads about the GL502VS(K) battery discharge issue has been locked so I'm making a new one.

Bahz (ASUS) have promised a full credit for the GL502VS. It's not really clear to me whether the GL502VSK (KabyLake) model has fixed the power delivery issue.

From a customer point of view:

- which models AREN'T affected by the power delivery issue?
- if the GL502VSK is fixed, why isn't this a direct replacement instead of ASUS issuing a credit?

BTW I raised a support ticket with ASUS regarding RMA/credit return.
14 REPLIES 14

ezies91
Level 7
Seems like there is a thread being made in regards to the same question you are asking but was locked as well before I am able to post, I tried gaming on my GL502VS yesterday (1/7/2017, Saturday) with my friend, was playing Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Wildlands for 5 hour straight, my battery discharge has set a new all time low record which the battery shown 33% performance vise instead of average of 50+- FPS it dropped to 30+- FPS, I am not sure how Singapore here deal with RMA as the service centre seems to be only half day on Saturday and total off on Sunday, I have always supported and promote Asus product to my friend but this time it really let me down, I hope I could get my money back and get something else instead.

after all this time, just a bunch of empty promises. and instead of offering a refund, "ask for RMA"..

i dont wanna go with RMA for the 5th time now if theres no real solution!!!

this is freakin crazy

SeaSpray
Level 7
@ezles91 The best workaround right now is to undervolt the GPU (and CPU if required) to keep the laptop under 160 watts at full load. I run MSI Afterburner and limit the GPU to 1700MHz @ 825mV (maximum), which limits the GPU's power draw enough to not cause battery discharge.

This is NOT a fix since the machine may experience greater instability. I was hoping for a fix or complete system replacement.

Things aren't looking good, and I'm due to relocate for my work in two months. Based on what I've seen from ASUS so far this is an unacceptable level of service. Either the company gives me my money back, or I'm simply refusing to buy any ASUS products in the future.

Hi I think that this official response for discharging issue for GL502vs is new and sudden.
I have friend that works for ASUS here in Poland and when I told him about this whole Asus statement he was surprised.
I want to know what are my options in this situation, for example can I exchange my GL502VS on G752VS on preference conditions.

filbee
Level 7
I suspect this thread will get locked too - as ASUS don't appear to want to answer the simple question around the GL502VSK models currently on sale via resellers. They say they are crediting back customers who have faulty GL502VS laptops, which is only fair - good for them, they are doing the right thing. However:

Are the GL502VSK models now on sale fixed or not ( ie are they still likely to experience this fault?)
If they aren't fixed, why are they still on sale to consumers?

The-Star
Level 7
i have GL502VSK and it's discharge as well ,just talked with Asus costumer support and i show them the Benz official thread , i hope something good will come out of this.

SeaSpray
Level 7
I contacted ASUS via the ASUS support website and they are telling me that an RMA number can only be created over the phone. I told them it is a design fault and sent them Bahz's public announcement, but they don't appear to be able to process it.

"*Thank you for contacting ASUS Service Care. My name is Justin Liu and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem. To resolve this issue, please contact the Call Centre to troubleshoot the machine. They will be able to provide you with an RMA number, has the unit been assessed by our Service Team? "

Jabarkas
Level 7
Btw I also applied for an RMA number. But I guess I will wait with sending the notebook for a little while. I have the skylake version (witch 180W charger) and BIOS update 302 seems to help with the problem a lot. So far no substantial discharge (i. e. battery under 90%) while playing Witcher 3 (max details but I capped FPS at 30). I have just one SSD though and no HDD (its the 512GB SSD version). So that might have helped.

Jabarkas wrote:
So far no substantial discharge (i. e. battery under 90%) while playing Witcher 3 (max details but I capped FPS at 30). I have just one SSD though and no HDD (its the 512GB SSD version). So that might have helped.

You've paid for a laptop with an Nvidia 1070 and you've decided to cap the framerate to 30FPS? Yeah that would push the power demand down quite a bit - but still you've paid a lot of money for that GPU!.

I'm running a VR rig, and every title needs 90 FPS (whether native or generated with asynchronous time or space warp). The battery discharge issue is a big deal for users running VR titles for several hours.