cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G752VY and two NVme SSDs (non-RAID) ?

Kidfisto
Level 7
Hi,

i am planning to do a upgrade of my G752vy in regards to storage, i am in doubt whether to buy the Samsung 850EVO 1TB to replace the HDD or to buy a Samsung 960 pro 512GB NVMe ssd. Primary reason is the lack of space on my 256GB drive because i run up to 4-5 virtual machines on it.

Two questions:
1. If i were to decide to buy the 960 pro will the laptop then see the two SSDs as independent? (I DONT want to use RAID). On the new 960 pro i would have windows installed, and the old SM951 256GB i would use as the disk where i store my virtual machines, so basically just another ordinary disk drive.

2. Again, if i buy 960 pro, would i be able to feel the difference in speed overall, boot time compared to the old Samsung SSD SM951-NVMe 256GB, M.2 (MZVPV256HDGL-00000)?

Cheers,
7 REPLIES 7

Kidfisto
Level 7
Nobody can tell me if the laptop supports two NVMe drives which work independently ?

Eleiyas
Level 10
You can choose AHCI in the BIOS which will mean all drives appear separately.

Because of this, I am almost certain that if you replace the internal HDD with an SSD, then the unit will pick up 2 different SSDs

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
You can choose AHCI in the BIOS which will mean all drives appear separately.

Because of this, I am almost certain that if you replace the internal HDD with an SSD, then the unit will pick up 2 different SSDs

Thank you for you answer. Lets say that i leave the 1TB HDD in my laptop and go for a NVMe 960 Pro 512GB model. Will i encounter any problems? Would i be able to use both NVMe SSDs and ofcourse HDD?

Thanks

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes, I have Samsung 960 pro M.2 Nvme it is quite fast. If you install a 2nd M.2 it will be seen as a 2nd drive unless you create intentionaly a Raid Array. I would Clone the 961 to the 960. on Reboot spam the Esc key that will bring up a Boot menue insure you boot from the 512 Pro once in windows format the the 961 as a non active disk. Or better yet Pick up a 1 TB 960 Nvme Evo. in that case you would shut down after the clone. Move the 512 Pro to the slot that your 961 was in take the 961 and store it in a box for future use. As in if you have to RMA for a hardware issue drop it in and keep your in use hard drives. Then before you start up again install the 1TB EVO. Inialise it in window as a storage drive. Then when you can affored it change out the Hard drive from a SATA 2.5 SSD, no mechanical drives means no drive issues and 2TB of very fast data storage. the 512 Pro is more than enough for your OS and all Software. Hope you got enough RAM for all them VM's? if not I would upgrade to 64 GB 32 GB should get you by with 5 VM you only have like less the 8 gB per VM very minimum on these new OS's With out VM's I'm using almost 16 GB of my 32GB just running one OS!!
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes, I have Samsung 960 pro M.2 Nvme it is quite fast. If you install a 2nd M.2 it will be seen as a 2nd drive unless you create intentionaly a Raid Array. I would Clone the 961 to the 960. on Reboot spam the Esc key that will bring up a Boot menue insure you boot from the 512 Pro once in windows format the the 961 as a non active disk. Or better yet Pick up a 1 TB 960 Nvme Evo. in that case you would shut down after the clone. Move the 512 Pro to the slot that your 961 was in take the 961 and store it in a box for future use. As in if you have to RMA for a hardware issue drop it in and keep your in use hard drives. Then before you start up again install the 1TB EVO. Inialise it in window as a storage drive. Then when you can affored it change out the Hard drive from a SATA 2.5 SSD, no mechanical drives means no drive issues and 2TB of very fast data storage. the 512 Pro is more than enough for your OS and all Software. Hope you got enough RAM for all them VM's? if not I would upgrade to 64 GB 32 GB should get you by with 5 VM you only have like less the 8 gB per VM very minimum on these new OS's With out VM's I'm using almost 16 GB of my 32GB just running one OS!!

Hi, thanks for you answer, i think you made an unintentional error when you say 961 you mean my old SSD which is 951, right ?
I cannot make a RAID even if i wanted to (and i dont) because the sizes of the SSDs are not the same. The old SSD woul be used as this VM storage, that is why it is important to me that both SSDs work without any problems (i mean from laptops hw and sw side aka drivers, bios...). If i decide to buy the 960 Pro i will most definitively clone the smaller 951 ssd to the 960 pro. 1TB EVO in NVMe form is not appealing to me because it is not a PRO version and for the Pro version costs a bit too much ATM for me.

Cheers

davemon50
Level 11
Yes they do show up separately. My own G752VY drive details, as purchased and installed:

• 1 x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (Read 2500MB/s - Write 1500MB/s 110K IOPS)
  • 1 x 256GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (Read 2150MB/s - Write 1260MB/s 100K IOPS)
  • Raid Disabled
  • 1 x 1TB 7200RPM (SATA III - 6GB/s)
  • 1 x Slim - Blu-Ray Burner + DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive

There are no issues with this arrangement. Note they are Samsung 950 Pro drives, but I would guess the 960's would be the same with just better performance. My laptop when purchased would have been originally configured with the 250GB SSD and the 1TB drive, so at purchase I opted for the additional 500GB SSD just like you want, so I could install W10 on it with more storage (W10 + big games = filled up 250GB disk). W10 was originally installed on my HDD by mistake at the retailer, so when I got the machine I moved W10 to the 500GB drive, and use the other two for storage.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Yes they do show up separately. My own G752VY drive details, as purchased and installed:

• 1 x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (Read 2500MB/s - Write 1500MB/s 110K IOPS)
  • 1 x 256GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (Read 2150MB/s - Write 1260MB/s 100K IOPS)
  • Raid Disabled
  • 1 x 1TB 7200RPM (SATA III - 6GB/s)
  • 1 x Slim - Blu-Ray Burner + DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive

There are no issues with this arrangement. Note they are Samsung 950 Pro drives, but I would guess the 960's would be the same with just better performance. My laptop when purchased would have been originally configured with the 250GB SSD and the 1TB drive, so at purchase I opted for the additional 500GB SSD just like you want, so I could install W10 on it with more storage (W10 + big games = filled up 250GB disk). W10 was originally installed on my HDD by mistake at the retailer, so when I got the machine I moved W10 to the 500GB drive, and use the other two for storage.

Thank you davemon, you gave me the answer i have been looking for.