cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build issues. Was working, now is not. Q code 8

PakRatJR
Level 7
Got my new system put together today. Seemed to be working quite well for several hours......right up to the point it stopped working. Hard stop like.

Running windows 8 with 1403 bios. 1700x and 16 gig corsair vengance on water cooler.

No overclock really. DOCP? standard and that's it.

Booted right up, installed the relevant drivers,did a few restarts, and carried on with playing with things. Ran a few gaming benchmarks, stress test on CPU to check water cooler...etc. Running great for several hours. Even had Aura working great. Played on the net for a bit. Watched a couple vids on youtube. Ate some dinner, checked the emails, read a bit on the forums, went back to youtube to watch a couple more vids. Watched one no problem, started watching another one and.....windows froze, keyboard and mouse went off. Had to kill the power to the power supply to get things to turn off.

Powered back up, started to boot and froze again with keyboard and mouse going away again. Never got to desktop. Killed power, reset bios, started back up. Bairely got to desktop befor keyboard and mouse went away again and had to kill power again.

Powered back up and now am getting no post and code 8 and won't go past it. Flashed back to 1401 and got to bios but couldn't get any farther. After reboot, straight to code 8. Flashed back to 1403 and straight to code 8. Been sitting for a bit over a half hour before I killed power again and now I am getting ready to pull everything and put my previous parts back in and send the new parts back.

Anything else I can try, any thoughts, suggestions before I take it apart?

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

PakRatJR
Level 7
Ok, so last night I killed the power to the power supply before I went to bed.

Woke up this mourning with the intent of taking things apart and reinstalling my old stuff. Just for kicks I powered back up and tried for a boot.

It did boot....sort of. I went into bios (1401) and set defaults. Booted into windows and as soon as the load screen came up, my mouse and keyboard went away.

So now it is running, I just can't do anything. I have tried unplugging and replugging with no effect. What am I missing???

A couple minutes into running and it froze again. Hard power off and restart and back to no post and code 8 😞

PakRatJR wrote:
A couple minutes into running and it froze again. Hard power off and restart and back to no post and code 8 😞

Try it with a different PSU.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have another one available to try right now.

So now I am thoroughly confused. Just for giggles, started in on disassembly. Had my main drive out and decided to try my older backup drive just for kicks, along with a reflash back to 1403.

It BOOTED!?? no problem??? WTH. Put my main drive back in, stuck my usb repair drive in and booted from that. Managed to run a system restore. Restored back to what I think was before I started installing drivers. Restore finish, reboot, and am back at windows WITH working keyboard and mouse. :confused::confused::confused:

It was a driver issue???

I had all but the chipset drivers in initially. I did them last after playing with things for a while. Did the chipset drivers cause all this? I'm a bit worried now about what to install as I don't want to go through this again.

I haven't tried any real playing around in windows yet to see if it is actually working properly again,

So apparently not drivers. Powered off and unplugged everything to move it back to it's home. Plugged everything back in and powered on and back to no post and code 8 :mad::(

Well, I give up :(:(

Pulled it apart and put my old stuff back together. All that's left now I guess is to decide if I want to just return the board and try for another one or if I just want to return the entire pile and MAYBE try again in a few months or so.

For the little bit I did get to play with things it did seem to be kinda nice. Felt a bit smoother and did get some better benchmark results, but I don't know if it really is enough to "need" to upgrade right now.

I still have a few days in the return window to think on it.
😞

do u use a display port cable on ure video card because i have kill power supply with a bad display port cable and ihave got qcode 08

Thanks. Yup, two dp cables and hdmi as well. dual asus monitors on dp at 2560x1440 and hdmi going to my t.v.

The only thing changed from my current setup was motherboard, processor and memory.

Power supply, video card, sound card, water cooler and drives were transfered over. Other than upgrading the video card a couple months ago, this setup has been running for almost 4 years with no issues.