cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER and Corsair LINK stuttering

anphetamina
Level 7
Hello, it's been a week that I'm experiecing stuttering at Windows startup. The system hangs for about 1-2 seconds after getting responsive, it freeze when Corsair LINK is loaded.

What I've tried until now:
- Update BIOS
- Update all drivers for my motherboard from the ASUS page
- Clear CMOS / reset the BIOS
- Memtest with no errors
- Re-installed all ME / MEI / Graphics drivers

I've installed two additional fans + two fans for the CPU cooler (Corsair H100i v2), plugged the two CPU fans into the CPU_FAN slot and the USB cable of the AIO into the USB3 Slot of the motherboard as shown in the Corsair manual.
There are some problem with LINK:
1. I see two slots for each fans plugged into the motherboard:

2. Initially the H100i v2 fan speed was 0 rpm no matter which profile I apply, it won't change the fan speed, only the Pump speed can be regulated. So I disabled the CPU Qfan control from the BIOS and I can regulate the fan speed from LINK.

3. Everytime LINK is started at boot will freeze the system for 1-2 seconds.

Can you help me fixing these and set up correctly the BIOS and the motherboard? Thanks.
36 REPLIES 36

Korth
Level 14
Corsair Link is a little buggy, the software demands far too high priority from the OS and it keeps polling far too frequently, while the hardware generates far too many interrupt events to CPU/PCH. Sometimes causes conflicts with other high-bandwidth devices like USB, PCIe, GPU, SSD, etc, the drivers for all these devices don't always play nice together.

I think Corsair should fix their product, lol.

Your system should run stable without Corsair Link plugged in or installed.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Bahz
Level 12
As Korth mentions there are some issues with Corsair Link and Corsair has a tendency to not follow industry standards for a lot of their product designs like for case fans or memory so it causes for a lot compatibility issues. Corsair Link is designed so you must install it to control most of their products, BIOS and 3rd party software often doesn't work well with Corsair products or has conflicts.

Bahz wrote:
As Korth mentions there are some issues with Corsair Link and Corsair has a tendency to not follow industry standards for a lot of their product designs like for case fans or memory so it causes for a lot compatibility issues. Corsair Link is designed so you must install it to control most of their products, BIOS and 3rd party software often doesn't work well with Corsair products or has conflicts.

My build is 2 months old, I always used Corsair LINK and worked perfectly without causing stuttering at boot up, it is a problem since a couple of days. The day before yesterday this problem wasn't occuring but today does it again!

Korth
Level 14
If everything worked before but it doesn't now then something changed. New hardware, new software, new configuration, version updates, etc?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

The only thing changed is Windows that gave updates within this 2 months, the rest is the same before. 4 days ago I didn't experiencied any stuttering at Windows startup and then I've got again the next day... which information can I provide to get your help?

Korth
Level 14
Are you able to rollback or uninstall these Windows Updates, restore a pre-updated System Restore Point or backed up image? If you can restore your system to the way it was before these updates then (based on whether Corsair Link works flawlessly as before or continues to work problematically) you can determine if the update packages are the cause.

[/Korth]

AKBAAR
Level 9
To Solve your Stutter, you have to enable MSI mode on that port .

it needs a registry key to be added to that Certain port, or u can use this little utility to enable MSI mode.
I also have corsair link with my watercooler but had to enable MSI mode.

Enjoy
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=378044

AKBAAR wrote:
To Solve your Stutter, you have to enable MSI mode on that port .

it needs a registry key to be added to that Certain port, or u can use this little utility to enable MSI mode.
I also have corsair link with my watercooler but had to enable MSI mode.

Enjoy
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=378044

This is what PCI devices looks like in Device Manager:

Which port do I need to set to MSI mode?

EDIT: I've set all devices to MSI mode except for the SMBus since it doesn't have any Interrupt Management key in the registry. The issue still occurs.

anphetamina wrote:
This is what PCI devices looks like in Device Manager:

Which port do I need to set to MSI mode?

EDIT: I've set all devices to MSI mode except for the SMBus since it doesn't have any Interrupt Management key in the registry. The issue still occurs.

Here is utility for switching MSI-mode
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hrxw4rsb9xnw1ei/MSI_util.zip