cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need opinion on upgrade I want to make

KhaosHammer
Level 7
Hi!*First post on ROG forums.... please be gentle 🙂

I am currently preparing for a massive upgrade to my pc.

looked at few pieces of hardware and finally decided to go with the following parts:*

I7 7700k

Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro*air cooler

Asus ROG Maximus IX Formula

Corsair Dominator 3000mhz 16x2*

Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Samsung 850 evo 250GB M.2*

Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Whats your opinion on this build? ( minus the case, and psu which are coveres by my current Graphite 780t and seasonic 750W )any improvmenta could be made that wont bump the cost up?

few point I thought of..
would the CoolerMaster Masterair Maker 8 would be a better air cooler?

should I go with the Asus z270e Gaming instead of the Maximus IX formula? are they so different? few poeplw told me that because i dont plan on extreme overclocking and liquid cooling that I should take it instead of the formula... but I am in love with the looks of the formula..

any opinion is welcome!
thanks for your time!
3 REPLIES 3

Chino
Level 15

panzlock
Level 12
According to this: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7522/cooler-master-masterair-maker-8-cpu-review/index6.html the CoolerMaster Masterair Maker 8 is a little better than the Dark Rock Pro 3.

There is also the issue of memory clearance.

Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3:

CoolerMaster Masterair Maker 8:

I'd stay with the Dark Rock personally, due to aesthetics and greater memory clearance, mainly. For those who care, it's also quieter and the performance drop by comparison is minimal.

If you want a great alternative for an air cooler look at Noctua's DH-15. Around the same price but you may not appreciate the makeup.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Korth
Level 14
The Maximus IX Formula is built for liquid cooling. Seems a waste to plug your VRMs/chipset into rads, have a mighty reinforced backplate, etc, then stick an air cooler on the hottest and most important part (the CPU), lol. Maximus IX Code would be a better choice for full air cooling, I think.

Raijintek TISIS is another excellent huge air cooler. Performance roughly on par (sometimes better, sometimes worse) vs Noctua's mighty NH-D15. But that's using Raijintek's decidedly mediocre stock fans - it certainly outperforms the NH-D15 when equipped with better (lol, Noctua) fans. The TIMs supplied by Raijintek and Noctua aren't that great either, upgrading to Arctic, Gelid, Prolimatek, Phobya, or whatever will increase overall cooling efficiency. Although for the same cost as cooler plus fans plus TIM you might as well just get an AIO or DIY loop instead, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]