cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer logging off internet after 5 minutes

laneymcc
Level 7
Okay-
We are in need of some serious help. We are using an Asus ROG Model G751J. Windows 10.

For whatever reason, our computer is constantly shutting the internet off, or something. We can't quite figure it out. The WIFI is still connected. And it's not the router. All other computers/phones in the house work fine. Our laptop is the one that "logs off" the internet.

We have tried using different browsers (frequently use Chrome, but have tried Explorer and Firefox) and it makes no difference.

We have tried deleting antivirus. We were using BitDefender, but have since uninstalled it to no avail.

If our computer goes to sleep/hibernates, it wakes up and the internet MAY work for 5 minutes before ceasing. The internet will say "waiting for www.facebook.com..." for instance and just sit there until it loads a screen that says something along the lines of "error loading page" etc.

In order to get it working again, we have to sign out, and sign back in. This tends to only happen when the computer has gone to sleep, but occasionally will do it upon normal start up as well.

My husband found a setting that was allowing the computer to "save power" by shutting of the wifi router in the computer (something along those lines) but he shut that aspect off, so it's not allowed to do that any more. I have since checked that setting when the internet stops working, and the box is unchecked, so it's not that.

SERIOUSLY. If anyone has any ideas, they are GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

davemon50
Level 11
There are two settings that may help you. One of them may be what you described above near the end of your post.

First one, you need to get into the Device Manager in the Control Panel. Go to the Network Adapters section of the Device Manager, and select your network adapter. Rt-click and select Properties, and go to the Power Management tab. Make sure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is UN-checked. That may be what you were already monitoring.

Second, go to your power plans. If you do not have a custom power plan, then you will be either balanced, performance, or power saving. Click to change the advanced power plan settings. I have created a custom power plan based on High Performance as the starting point, you may also need to do this if you can't get setting changes to stick with one of the predetermined 3 settings. Anyway, once you get the little dialogue box to pop up with all the details, go to the Wireless Adapter Settings, expand it, and look at the power saving mode. Change it to maximum performance. Save all your settings, and go back into it to see if it stuck.

Try those two things and see if they help you.
Davemon50

Thanks for the reply! Our power plan is high performance, and both those say "maximum performance" when I look into them. Didn't have to change anything.

The first one is the one I was talking about. I couldn't find it when I posted, so I wasn't sure exactly what it said. But it is still unchecked and nothing is changed. Hm.

davemon50
Level 11
Next step I would try is update the wireless adapter driver.
Davemon50