cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusually long time taken until you see the ROG logo when booting

zenw0lf
Level 7
I had a Formula IV with a Core i7 3770k, it booted fast, immediately showing something on screen after pressing the power button.

Now I have a new build with the Crosshair Hero VI, a Ryzen 1700 and 64gb RAM and when I press the ON button, it takes a few seconds before you even see something on the screen, I was wondering if this is normal.

What is your average time before you see something on screen after pressing the ON button on your conputer with this motherboard?
15 REPLIES 15

gupsterg
Level 13
Even on latest UEFI there is a delay to post but not that big IMO, ~15sec I'll be in OS from shutdown.

For me display active after the quick section of q-codes has finished and I get the post beep of mobo.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
Even on latest UEFI there is a delay to post but not that big IMO, ~15sec I'll be in OS from shutdown.

For me display active after the quick section of q-codes has finished and I get the post beep of mobo.

My setup is taking like ~25 secs from pressing the power button to seeing the Asus logo screen... so is this normal or not?
Or is there a thing that I can toggle/config in the BIOS to speed this process up?

zenw0lf wrote:
My setup is taking like ~25 secs from pressing the power button to seeing the Asus logo screen... so is this normal or not?
Or is there a thing that I can toggle/config in the BIOS to speed this process up?

Not normal IMO. Which UEFI version are you on?

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
Not normal IMO. Which UEFI version are you on?

I have attached a screenshot from the BIOS, but it looks like I'm on 0902 x64.
Do you recommend I update to a specific version?

davemon50
Level 11
Mine's about 10 secs, although I never time it. I find it to be dependent on your hardware, including all things SATA. If a drive is going bad, it will hang a while. After the logo displays for a few seconds, it disappears a moment, then reappears, after which W10 immediately starts loading.
Davemon50

Korth
Level 14
Storage devices - SATA SSD/HDD, M.2/PCIe SSD, NVMe SSD, RAIDs (along with Intel RST, etc) - take time to boot.
USB devices - keyboard, mouse, audio, etc - take time to boot, initialize/enumerate.
Network devices - wired and wireless - take time to boot, initialize/timeout.
PCIe devices - mainly GPU cards - take time to boot, initialize.

Many of these hardwares include executable firmwares which boot "before" or "after" main BIOS.

Crosshair Hero VI is a lot more complicated than Formula IV. More complex VRMs, "ROG Chip" ASIC, PWM initialization/spinups/etc, even more complex "computer inside your computer" IME stuff under the hood. Not to mention the complexity of the mainboard firmware (UEFI/BIOS) itself, along with whatever microcode delays are imposed at boot. POST on newer platforms provide a lot more features and technologies which impose minor (but collectively noticeable) startup delays.

I've criticized slow bootup times on tech-heavy ROG mobos before, lol, though my "obsessions" and "suggestions" on the matter were shot down.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

AfterShock
Level 9
build 1403 seems to be pretty rock solid

My system takes about 7 seconds from hitting the power button until the asus logo appears. it def shouldn't take anywhere near 25 seconds. the only thing I can think of is try disabling CSM in the boot options, its a legacy and obsolete method of initializing drives.

gupsterg
Level 13
zenwolf,

0902 is the slowest to post, UEFI build from ~Mar 17.

Update to latest, you should see a vast improvement on boot times. Also you will have access to lot more settings as AGESA has been updated 😉 .

Da Music video

Taking a few seconds is perfectly normal. As far as i know the Crosshair series has a thorough Power-On Self-Test (aka POST) sequence it goes through every bootup. Checking the main components before actually proceeding to Boot. My old Crosshair IV Formula had it and my current VI Hero has it aswell. idk if it's a AMD thing being so thorough, but Considering it only takes a few seconds to go through and is important for the motherboard to recover from stuff like bad memory settings i don't mind it at all.

You can observe the sequence by looking at the Qleds. Transition from CPU (red) and DRAM (yellow) to VGA (white) before finally going to Boot(green led).

If you notice it taking longer you can also use the Qleds to figure out why. For example If you notice it shifting back and forth between Dram and CPU for a long while chances are that you haven't set your memory properly with the motherboard trying to find stable settings in which case you may want to check the bios and the actual speed the motherboard is using.

Will note tough that your 25 Seconds seem a bit too much. Best update the bios first. the beta 1403 works pretty well, but if stable release is preferred check the main support page of the Crosshair for the latest stable