cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRAM Frequency Question (Formula IX & I7 7700k)

09subie
Level 8
Hi,

I recently built a PC specifically for gaming (4k 60 FPS and 1440p 144 FPS).

Build:

• I7 7700K
  • Corsair H100i V2
  • Asus ROG Formula IX motherboard
  • Asus ROG Strix 1080 TI
  • Corsair Vengeance Ram 16gb 3200Mhz
  • Corsair 850 watt power supply
  • Samsung 850 SSD (512mb)
  • Barracuda 2TB internal Hardrive
  • Corsair 760T Full Tower Case

I had a friend help me build this PC and when we booted to the BIOS one of the tweaks he did was to "DRAM Frequency". He simply scrolled down to 3200mhz and selected it. I've been running like that for the past two weeks with no issues while gaming but I decided to run the Intel XTU stress test for both CPU and Memory.

I passed the CPU test but when I tested Memory it failed within the first 5 seconds. I figured that we obviously didn't set up the memory the correct way. I booted to BIOS and saw the 3200mhz selection and 1.5v... I quickly went in and changed "DRAM Frequency" to "Auto" and rebooted. The RAM speed defaulted to 2133mhz and it was able to pass the Memory stress test no problem.

So that leads me to a cross roads...I can either just set it and forget it at 2133mhz since it seems to work fine. Or I can go back in there and try to set it up correctly (most likely by enabling XMP).

I guess my question is should I just leave it as is (2133mhz) or is it silly to leave it at that speed? Trying to see if it makes that much of a difference in gaming.

Also in my research with XMP i've read that it can increase CPU temps and up the voltage for the CPU...not sure if that is accurate but i'd like to run as cool as possible.

If you could provide me with any opinions or feedback that would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Luke
1 REPLY 1

Chino
Level 15
I'm not sure how reliable XTU is for testing memory. But if you want to do some serious stability testing, try HCI Memtest or Google's Stressapptest for Linux. 🙂