cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 1700X and Ubuntu

JasonFTW
Level 7
Hey all,

I've recently upgraded to a Crosshair VI Hero with a R7 1700X.
I've managed to get Windows 10 installed and working fine, and I'm trying to dual-boot Ubuntu on a second SSD. Unfortunately, when I try, I'm greeted with
MMIO write of 80000140... FAULT at 10eb14

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask for assistance, if so, could someone please guide me in the right direction?

My system specs are as follows:
R7 1700X
16GB DDR4 Trident Z 3000MHz (shows as 2133 in BIOS)
GTX 950 SC

I've tried to install Ubuntu 16 and 17, both to no avail.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

HarlemSquirrel
Level 7
I'm running my rig with Arch Linux. Ryzen benefits from the latests kernel. If you want to run with Ubuntu and you can get something installed I recommend installing the latest 4.11 or 4.12 kernel from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

Korth
Level 14
I've seen Arch and Gentoo running on Ryzen platforms without issue. Shouldn't matter much which Arch/Gentoo distros you get, they all run off the same package managers and (even when they don't) you can manually install your AMD \devs.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I've seen Arch and Gentoo running on Ryzen platforms without issue. Shouldn't matter much which Arch/Gentoo distros you get, they all run off the same package managers and (even when they don't) you can manually install your AMD \devs.

I'm currently running a Ubuntu only SO on a Ryzen 1700 without problems.
And instead of dual booting I've got a second SSD for Windows and just plug/unplug the one I need.
This setup works flawlessly.

But I haven't had any problems with dual booting in the past, albeit, not with this same PC setup.

Korth
Level 14
Multiboots involving Win8/Win10 can be a bit tricky, if your system stores the Windows Product Keys in MSDM/SLIC UEFI tables.

Boot managers in recent linux distros work without issue. But you never know when Microsoft will change (break) something in them (again), lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]