cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workstation Build

glnhrrs
Level 7
Hi all
Looking to upgrade as soon as the 18 core hits the shelves.
My workstation is used primarily for 3D and photogram. Both very resource hungry
I am looking to build a workstation with the following parts

mobo - Rampage VI or Strix x299
With all the features of the Strix i'm not sure the rampage is needed for what I want.
The STRIX supports 44 lanes and 128gb ram, my main priority
Never used a e-ATX board before and think current Thermaltake V51 might fit this
Does the Rampage require a full tower case to fit its extra size? I haven't found sizes on this board yet.
CPU - i9 7980XE
or anything from 12-18 core intel
RAM 128GB corsair 3000mhz < pretty sure anything higher clocked than this goes to waste?
GPU's - Currently running 2 x evga 1080Ti FTW3 in SLI

Any tips would be much appreciated
Cheers
4 REPLIES 4

davemon50
Level 11
Some midtowers can fit the eatx boards in them and have lots of room still for drives and cards. For example, I have a Corsair 650D, which is listed as a midtower, and I have used it for 2 builds with Rampage E boards and 2 large video cards. I currently have 3 HDD's and two 2-1/2" FF SSD's comfortably inside (plus an M.2) also. However it's bigger brother is the 750D full tower, is slightly bigger, and is what I'd choose for my next build.

I think the breaking point would be the watercooling source. If you are considering a custom water loop, I'd recommend a full tower for sure. If it's an AIO cooler, you might be able to get away with a midtower like me. Check the dimensions of everything carefully first. The two things you usually get with a full tower is better airflow and more space to fit and hide your wiring, plus usually more case fan flexibility if you need it. 😉
Davemon50

Korth
Level 14
EATX isn't quite an official standard. Different manufacturers have slightly different ideas about their "standard" EATX dimensions. An EATX board is basically longer in one dimension, it sticks "down" a little further when mounted (sideways) in a standard tower/chassis configuration, mostly to provide enough extra onboard space for one or two extra PCIe/PCI card slot(s). A tower/chassis which isn't tall enough won't have enough (internal) room for the mobo and the PSU together.

"3D" could mean lots of things and I'm unfamiliar with Photogram. So I can't say whether they'll leverage GPU or CPU better. An 18C/36T i9 CPU will cost as much as a lesser CPU plus a pair of 1080Ti GPU cards. If your 3D work is heavily GPU-based, or runs a lot of CUDAs and PhysX and FP32 then more GPU will be smarter than more CPU. To be honest, I think 18C/36T is almost unuseable unless running a ton of simultaneous VMs ... but then again, that's what I used to think about once-mighty 8C/16T and it didn't take very long to learn that I want/need even more.

128GB of DDR4 will populate 8 (already doubled up) DIMM slots at maximum capacity, a heavy load on the CPU iMCs. And it'll be hard to maintain stable (DDR4/XMP) overclock on an iMC which services so many cores and caches. I'm not sure what the exact specs are, but the i9 won't natively support non-JEDEC DDR4-3000, it'll more likely be JEDEC DDR4-2400 or -2667. The advantage of X299 HEDT is quad-channel memory bandwidth, which multiplies still further at higher memory frequencies ... if your work is heavily RAM intensive then you might actually need to tradeoff more CPU cores vs faster (overclocked) DDR4, the simpler CPU parts will tend to run memories at higher frequencies than the complex CPU parts can, plus the simpler CPU parts tend to have faster clocks.

Rampage and Strix (and other ROG-branded mobos) provide a whole lot of features ... added cost, added complexity, reduced stability, diminished system performances (unless overclocking and stuff, lol). I'm not bashing ROG mobos at all - my "workstation" is built off one - but I am saying they're not the best choice for everyone and there's no sense paying more for a ton of bling and features if you have no intention of using them - an ASUS PRIME or -WS mobo is a more compelling and reliable choice for many professionals. A Xeon-based platform is also a more compelling price, not as exciting (though you might be surprised by what's being offered) but much more thoroughly documented and supported and reliable and *capable* at doing real hard computing work than consumer-based platforms ... and at comparable prices to X299/i9.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thanks for the tips, always appreciated

For Photogrammetry software it uses every part intensively. CPU GPU and Ram. GPU mainly, hence the reason I have sli. The amount of CUDA is important for processing.

I will be overclocking as much as I can as this always improves speeds. I currently have a 3960X on a Rampage IV Black board, and it has served me well.
I run a all in one corsair H115i and I hope this will do the trick on the 7980XE or lower models.
I have tried some very expensive xeons and found I could run an overclocked 3960X and get approx same speed results with the software I use.

The STRIX board by the looks of it only has 3 Way sli max support which is fine as I may try putting my 3rd 1080 into it for a test.
The Ram for me is confusing. Strix says it supports 4133.OC. I generally run RAM at its stock speeds to avoid errors or crashes. Should I be buying maybe 2600 - 2800mhz Ram and saving some dollars?
And I think I would go a higher clock speed on a 14 or 16 core, than a lower clock speed on a 18 core if that makes sense. As yet there is no announcement of the clock on the 7980XE
It's still a long wait for now till the 7980XE even comes out. I believe October now. And still no release date on the rampage. So its just a waiting game 😞

So apparently my Rampage IV is a EATX board. ! So the Rampage VI due out this week or next week should fit in nicely to current case if both are same form factor dimensions